Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

SF shorts

• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow
We have "post youtube" thread, and one about movies, but I think we should gather good SF shorts in one place. So here it is:
Of course I hope we will discuss these movies, not just post them.

KELOID

http://vimeo.com/33030265

Eliezer S. Yudkowsky wrote about an experiment which had to do with Artificial Inteligence. In a near future, man will have given birth to machines that are able to rewrite their codes, to improve themselves, and, why not, to dispense with them. This idea sounded a little bit distant to some critic voices, so an experiment was to be done: keep the AI sealed in a box from which it could not get out except by one mean: convincing a human guardian to let it out.

What if, as Yudkowsky states, ‘Humans are not secure’? Could we chess match our best creation to grant our own survival?

Would man be humble enough to accept he was superseded, to look for primitive ways to find himself back, to cure himself from a disease that’s on his own genes? How to capture a force we voluntarily set free? What if mankind worst enemy were humans?

In a near future, we will cease to be the dominant race.

In a near future, we will learn to fear what is to come.

Edited by Craven, 22 June 2012 - 10:11 PM.

"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

"Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone."

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow
ARCHETYPE

RL7 is an eight-foot tall combat robot that goes on the run after malfunctioning with vivid memories of once being human. As its creators and the military close in, RL7 battles its way to uncovering the shocking truth behind its mysterious visions and past.

http://www.archetype-movie.com/
"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow
KARA

Kara may be a demo of technology, but at same time it is simple, yet very emotional short movie.

Alric

Alric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts
It is only a matter of time before the technology is far beyond humans, which is why we need to merge with our technology. We already do it to some degree, but in the future it will be a lot more. No reason to fear the robots of the future, if we are them.

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow

It is only a matter of time before the technology is far beyond humans, which is why we need to merge with our technology. We already do it to some degree, but in the future it will be a lot more. No reason to fear the robots of the future, if we are them.

I forgot to mention that discussions and reviews are mostly welcome :D

I'd say I don't fear it. But you should be prepared that we may not become robots. It's possiible that they will replace us entirely, or that fusion with machines will automatically mean our dimishment. If machine you're fusing with has access to all of our knowledge and it's processing power is 1000x yours, then fusion means that you're just 0.1% of new, fused conciousness.

Still even if that's the case - I'm fine with it. I think it's natural way of things. But of course I'd love to live to see it and have this fusion option, so that I get to see all of wonders of future in some form.

I also gotta say about Kara - as much as it's clishe and trivial, I love scene where we see her robot heart, beating quickly in fear of death. Very moving.

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,190 posts
Wow thats really emotional. I am glad they assembled her again.

Edited by Italian Ufo, 23 June 2012 - 12:16 AM.

Alric

Alric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts
I think it will be more gradual than that. If you merge with a robot and gain double processing power. You might eventually end up in a robot body with 1000x processing power and your human fleshy brain might be .1% but if you do it step by step you would be 100% you because your core thinking patterns would have gradually been converted over to the robot brain. I kind of wish that in Kara when she said please stop she is scared, he stopped and said, "Damn, US Constitution, article 37 says all robots with a consciousness are considered alive and has equal rights as a citizen. Okay you are free to go." Then she got up and left.

Alric

Alric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts
It isn't a scientific view, it is a philosophical view, and the reason I use a philosophical one is because science doesn't address the issue at all. Science makes no distinction as to what a person is. If you lose 5% of your memories are you still you? If you lose 50% are you still you? If you lose 99.9% are you still you? Scientifically we can't really measure it, and we are left to guess. I really have no idea how safe or unsafe vastly upgrading your brain at once may be. However, it seems logical to error on the safe side and do it gradually. It is almost certain if you do it in small steps you remain you, but it is uncertain how much new data you can add at once while still remaining you. So it just seems safer to do it gradually. As for them being thousands times more powerful than our brains when it starts, that isn't true. We already have brain chips that have been implanted into human brains and they are no where near as smart as people. In fact they are of no real practical use for people without disabilities.

Alric

Alric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts
Scientifically if you get a full frontal lobotomy you are still you. It is still your body, and what is left of your brain is still your brain. However most people would consider such a drastic change as killing you, and what is left is something else. It resembles you but it isn't really you. That is the issue that has not really been addressed. If you want to look at this scientifically though, how can you make the claim that vast upgrades at once will not harm anyone? That is not a scientific claim. Sciences requires experimentation, and before you test such things, your claims are not scientific at all. Now seeing as how if you try it and it doesn't work you die, I think that taking a gradual approach is just more prudent. I am not saying that doing huge vast changes at once will harm you, I am just saying I am not going to volunteer for it unless it has been proven 100% safe.

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow
The Gift
by Carl Erik Rinsch

Edited by Craven, 12 August 2012 - 07:58 PM.

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow
The Gate
by Matt Westrup

"95% of the human genome is composed of redundant gene sequences. They appear to have no known biological function. Could a chance event reactivate them? Genetic freaks wander the streets courtesy of irresponsible pharmaceutical companies."

This one actually got deal for full feature.

Edited by Craven, 12 August 2012 - 08:01 PM.

• eacao likes this

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow
LOOM
by Luke Scott

Luke Scott (son of Ridley Scott) has directed the 20-minute science fiction film Loom. This short, which stars Giovanni Ribisi as a laboratory grunt in a dystopian future, aims for atmospherics and openly acknowledges a stylistic debt to Blade Runner. Cinematography by Dariusz Wolski.

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow
Grounded
by Kevin Margo

One astronaut's journey through space and life ends on a hostile exosolar planet. Grounded is a metaphorical account of the experience, inviting unique interpretation and reflection by the viewer. Themes of aging, inheritance, paternal approval, cyclic trajectories, and behaviors passed on through generations are explored against an ethereal backdrop.

tornado64

tornado64

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  • LocationChina
Tears of Steel
by Blender Foundation

Tears of Steel" was realized with crowd-funding by users of the open source 3D creation tool Blender. Target was to improve and test a complete open and free pipeline for visual effects in film - and to make a compelling sci-fi film in Amsterdam, the Netherlands.

Edited by tornado64, 28 September 2012 - 08:47 AM.

• Craven likes this

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow
Great! Nice mix of attractive visuals and bit of story.

Edited by Craven, 28 September 2012 - 01:39 PM.

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow
Alive in Joburg
by Neil Blomkamp

Some of you may not know this, but District 9 is actually feature remake of Neill Blomkamp short movie from 2005. What if in 1990 aliens got stranded on Earth in skies over Johannesburg.

tornado64

tornado64

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  • LocationChina

To embed you just paste address, no code, no link, no nothing. Forum engine will take care of rest:

Didn't worked for me yesterday, but here it is, so it's ok. It's tagged in media now, so I think it's this.

Edited by tornado64, 28 September 2012 - 08:48 AM.

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas
I have found that linking to an https doesn't work. I had problems with that once.

Hey.  Stop reading.  The post is over.

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow
No Escape
by Dan Trachtenberg

A woman wakes up in a room with no memory of who she is or how she got there...

This is a short set in the world of the Portal video games created by Valve Software.

Outside Aperture
by Eisen Feuer and Jesse Lopez

A fan film inspired by VALVe's masterpeice video game title Portal. With the fate of the main charachter of the game, Chell, left up in the air at the end of the game, we took the liberty of creating a fan film under the assumption that Chell lived to escape the Aperture Science Laboratories, and must now face life out in the real world. She finds an abandoned house, still stocked with food, and begins a new life with her trusty Portal Gun at her side

First one may be nicely done, but it's nothing very interesting. But Outside Aperture - marvelous. It's funny, lots of cool ideas (getting out of the bed!), wacky plot (I like Chell going crazy after Portal, details (like that at 5:15 newspaper catches fire), and finally actress is such a beauty.

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow
Plurality
by Dennis Liu

After the state of New York gives the police access to "The Grid," a new technology that allows people to purchase anything with a quick scan of their fingerprint, crime drops almost instantly. However, they also discover that certain people are popping up in two places at once.

It's great! Looks like 15-minute pilot for TV series. Way too much filtering, I didn't like glasses (unless it's not literal, just way to show how wearing person would see it). Apart from that, really great. Nice idea and execution, nice world building. Highly recommended.

Edited by Craven, 03 October 2012 - 08:37 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users