Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

SF shorts

• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow
True Skin
by Stephan Zlotescu

True Skin – A sci-fi short set in the not too distant future where augmentation is the way of life. For Kaye, still a natural, augmenting will help him keep pace in this now hyper-paced world. However, after acquiring an off-market prototype, Kaye quickly finds himself fighting not only for his own humanity, but something much larger.

I really liked it. Some minor flaws, but generally great peek into transhumanist future.

Edited by Craven, 11 October 2012 - 09:01 AM.

"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

"Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone."

H3llion

H3llion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationUnder your Desk
Ruin: A Post Apocalyptic Short Film

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtV-4XiCNPw&feature=related

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,066 posts
  • LocationRepublic of Jordan, 1 January 3025 C.E.
Chameleon - Sci-Fi Short Film

Edited by Time_Traveller, 14 October 2012 - 11:22 AM.

I want to go ahead of Father Time with a scythe of my own.

H. G. Wells

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • 6,066 posts
  • LocationRepublic of Jordan, 1 January 3025 C.E.
UNEARTHED - A SHORT FILM By Dalang Films

• Craven and eacao like this
I want to go ahead of Father Time with a scythe of my own.

H. G. Wells

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow
Dr0ne
Robert Glickert

Episode 1:
Spoiler

Episode 2:
Spoiler

Episode 3:
Spoiler

Episode 4:
Spoiler

Behind The Scenes:
watch?v=-qOb_S_Q_iI (I can't put 5 youtube videos in one post)

Amazing what can be done for non-profit small thing like that. While I have no idea about the cost, "Behind the scenes" shows that those guys even have their own virtual camera, and they clearly said - it's all within financial reach of people doing webseries and SF shorts (well Dr0ne is a fine example).

I like almost everything about it. Sets, designs, cinematography, story... Episode 4 is little too naive, but thanks to way they handled it we get that final twist from suit and it ties story well. So I guess it was worth it even if you flinch a little.

Why can't most of modern SF movies look like this?
"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow
Monster Roll
by Dan Blank

In ancient Japan, man once make a pact with the sea, to kill only what he eat. But the promise has long since been broken...

Proof-of-concept for a feature about sushi chefs fighting sea monsters. It's a crazy idea, but one we just really wanted to see made. So, we made it.

Fhis is sooo full of win!

Edited by Craven, 22 October 2012 - 06:06 PM.

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow
Tempo
by Seth Worley

Two researchers invent a powerful device that can speed up or slow down any object in its path, but they're determined not to see it turned into a weapon (no matter how many cows they accidentally blow up). But when a crew of gunmen invade their lab, one of the researchers must stop them with the only tool at his disposal: the tempo gun. Will the gun be able to save his research partner? And what are the consequences of weaponizing his own technology?

That's how I'd imagine a movie about young years of Gordon Freeman. :)
Lot's of humor, fun ideas, pure fun.

PS. Just why would anyone place flashback in short movie? I mean do you need to remind audience scene that they saw 180 seconds before?

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow

R'ha
by Kaleb Lechowski

• wjfox, eacao, TransAustin and 1 other like this

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,966 posts
  • LocationLondon

^ I was about to post that. You beat me to it. :)

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow

:) It's very nice, quite obvious twist, but impressive. Especially given that it's a work of one 22-year old guy.

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,966 posts
  • LocationLondon

• Craven likes this

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow

Lisa
by Drew Mylrea

There is a new boom in the technology sector: Robotics. Humanoid robots have replaced most retail employees in major chains across the country. What sets these robots apart is how well their personalities are designed-- how charming and helpful they are, how human they are perceived.

Few people in the world can design such a robot. It is an art - it requires a deep understanding of both humanity and technology. Our story focuses on one such individual: ANDERS OHM.

I don't like the cinematography, but overall it's a very good short.

OunknnownO

OunknnownO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts
KARA Kara may be a demo of technology, but at same time it is simple, yet very emotional short movie.

i would dismantle her, there is no use for a sentient robot

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas

Ounknown stop being a racist!

Robots are people too

:)

Hey.  Stop reading.  The post is over.

OunknnownO

OunknnownO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

They are things nothing else no matter how you dress them

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas
Unless they actually think. Which is what the video was getting at. It's sci-fi, but one day they will be conscious. Simulations of the brain could do that.

Hey.  Stop reading.  The post is over.

OunknnownO

OunknnownO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

doesn't matter they are still machine

EVanimations

EVanimations

• Members
  • 3,446 posts
  • LocationThe Eldritch Beyond

OunknownO, you're a SHAMELESS BIGOT.

SHAMELESS. :punish:

Just because a robot is a machine doesn't mean they can't eventually develop consciousness. What allows the human brain to be so complex? The electronic firing of neuron pathways and the emissions of biochemicals. On our most basic level, that is all we really are. So really, it is very possible that when we get to a sufficient level of tech advancement, that we can create a brain.

First, it's a matter of creating a nanomachine similar to a neuron in function. Then, it's a matter of weaving a whole bunch of them together so as to make them interact. Programming a personality would kind of defeat the purpose, I think.

NightWolf235

NightWolf235

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • LocationSouth Brunswick, NJ

Ounknown you say a robot can't be sentient because they're a machine. We're sentient and we're just a few kilograms of meat, calcium, iron, and chemical reactions. If that's sentience then there's nothing stopping something made of silicon, transistors and algorithms from being sentient.

OunknnownO

OunknnownO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

You can make a simulation of life not the life itself. I here stand and I say no computer will ever achive consciousness by itself, humans will need to program it(I mean the simulation of consciousness). No I'm not a bigot you can't use terms for something that is alive(and it must be human) and I don't hate them can't hate something that isn't real it will all be just a simulation of life. But there is diffrence between us and them we became sentinent on our own if weren't for us the concept of robot wouldn't ever be imagined or even made.

Edited by OunknnownO, 21 January 2013 - 04:47 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users