Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

SF shorts

• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas

He was joking, but what we are saying is the whole reason we are intelligent is because of the way our brains are wired.

The connectome.  The way the neurons are arranged and our 5 senses allow us to be conscious.  It is not because are neurons are made of cells.  A simulation of this connectome (100% accuracy) is not possible because it takes more computational power than we can muster right now.  Eventually it will be, and when we simulate a brain, it will be like an infant.  It will need a body to inhabit, so we'll give it one.  As a 1st gen robot it won't be as good as our physical ones, but it may be enough for it to grow up into a fully conscious "human" being.

It may even be easier to just let the simulation live in a virtual reality world as it grows up.  Either way, it will need real parents and social interaction to learn.  I don't think consciousness can be programmed, it has to learn social skills and other primary skills we attribute to intelligence on it's own.  Reading a book is ok, you can learn things that way.  You weren't programming it into them, it choose to read it and absorb the information.

I'm not saying a cgi leaf is just as much a leaf as one on a real tree, I am saying a 100% accurate rendering of a connectome and its interactions within itself and with the outside world through senses.  Which will be possible one day, we are already simulating sections of the brain.

Hey.  Stop reading.  The post is over.

EVanimations

EVanimations

• Members
  • 3,446 posts
  • LocationThe Eldritch Beyond

Rule of thumb: whenever I berate anyone on this forum, it's usually meant to be read in an over-the-top, joking manner. NEVER TAKE ANY OF MY INSULTS SERIOUSLY (unless you're cybermisterbeauty)

• eacao likes this

Origin Country

Origin Country

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationSan Angeles, New California
I feel that if something can truly be described as sentient it does not matter if it's mind resides in a body of flesh and bone or one of plastic and silicon, it's still a thinking self-aware being. To destroy something that is sentient, whether that be a human, alien species, or a machine is murder; you re destroying a distinct entity which is aware of it's existence, stifling it's experience of the world. In the majority of films which involve machines becoming sentient and rebelling, usually the need for rebellion arises from the mindset that Unknown has, that machines are our servants. This is of course true, machines are our tools, but at the point they develop sentience, machines cease being our servants and must become our friends and allies if both are to exist together.

Alric

Alric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts

When you get down to it, no life has any value at all. It is only humans who give things value. Humans enjoy the company of others humans and so we value other humans. I think valuing humans because they are made of organic material instead of synthetic ones is silly though. The reason I appreciate human life is because of our consciousness and intelligence. Other life forms can have consciousness and intelligence as well, so I value all beings. 

If you inject a cockroach with nanobots that made it so smart it gained human level intelligence, it would still be a cockroach and killing it would be no different than kill any other cockroach, something most people wouldn't think twice about. I however would not kill it, and I would say that the cockroach has the same value as a human being at that point. In fact, given the choice I really wouldn't want to kill even a normal cockroach because to a very limited degree it has some intelligence, though I don't lose any sleep over it.

All a human is, is some chemicals and electrical impulses in a brain.  A thinking robot really isn't all that different.

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow
Voice Over
by Martin Rosete

Funny in it's weird way :)
Great cinematography.
"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

"Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone."

EVanimations

EVanimations

• Members
  • 3,446 posts

http://www.newground...tal/view/596083

It's actually pretty long, but it's very cool.

• Craven and eacao like this

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas

That was posted here a while back, I can't remember where though.

EVanimations

EVanimations

• Members
  • 3,446 posts

Who are you, Raklian?

• SG-1 likes this

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,509 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC
Who are you, Raklian?

Why ask me this all of sudden? The context in which it is asked is out of whack! :)

What are you without the sum of your parts?

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,963 posts
  • LocationLondon

A woman wakes up in a room with no memory of who she is or how she got there...

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow

That's actually on previous page, along with "Outside Aperture", another Portal fanmovie :)

This game is soo good it gets really good fanmovies ;)

"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

stuffed_leader

stuffed_leader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Locationprescott, AZ

http://www.stumbleup...jealous-vbideo/

really cool script and short film

Omega point or extinction.

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow

Shelved
by James Cunningham

It's a simple concept, but lots of fun to watch.

Edited by Craven, 22 June 2013 - 09:19 PM.

CLB

CLB

Cautiously Optimistic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands, UK
Chrome on android is useless. I can only view YouTube format, and nothing else.

If something I say sounds like trolling/being stupid/offensive, please forgive me. I'm bad with people.

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow

Vacuity
by Michael Matzur

Trapped in a dying space station airlock, Alan must choose survival to see his family again or sacrifice to save his crew.

http://vacuitymovie.com

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow

Hybrids
by Patrick Kalyn

In the wake of an alien infestation, an ex-special forces soldier loses her daughter in alien attack. Seeking revenge, she leads a team on a mission deep into alien territory. Soon, she makes a discovery which makes her question her allegiance.

Unintentionally funny. And synopsis is probably intended for eventual movie.

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow
Project Kronos
by Hasraf 'HaZ' Dulull

Project Kronos is a documentary film set in the not too distant future, following a mission to achieve interstellar space travel. As the mission unfolds with extraordinary results, the scientists find themselves dealing with a much bigger agenda.
Great short SF. It is quite naive at some points and it has higer potential, but still it's a very solid piece of transhumanist SF. Quite inspiring.

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas

Craven, I love watching the videos you post.  How do you find all these?

• Craven likes this

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow

Mostly Io9 and http://opium.org.pl/ (this one's polish, sorry).

Glad to see someone watches those and it's not all just for myself ;)

I see they posted another one on Io9.com, if it's any good I'll post it here (unless someone does it first :p )

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow

Yeah it's good. Very creepy:

ABE
by Rob McLellan

Titled after it’s protagonist, “ABE” explores ramifications of world where love-enabled robots are reality.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users