Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Future Hell

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Shimmy

Shimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts
Assuming we are able to master the art of living forever and fully immersive virtual reality environments. It would be theoretically possible to create our own version of hell. By that I mean constant incredibly painful suffering on somebody for more or less eternity. And forget getting used to the pain, it could be designed so that the pain always appears to be getting worse by messing with the nerve endings and whenever a nerve dies it could be replaced with a brand new one for a load more suffering. Also you could never go unconscious and have a break (again just mess with the brain so this can't happen). Also you could mess with their memory so they always think they've been in there 1000 times longer than they actually have. Throw in some fiery visual effects and you're sorted. Now using this on real people would probably be frowned upon, and I would hope incredibly illegal (if law still exists as such). But assuming we give people full control in their own personal little virtual worlds, they could create millions of digital people who in terms of thought processes are identical to human beings in every way. Then the creator could play God and if people didn't obey him and worship him he could send them to this lovely sounding hell he's created for eternity. He could make a heaven as well, but if he's particularly twisted it'll just be a trick and it turns out everybody goes to hell as the one true god was actually one he never told anyone about who lives in space and never intervenes with real life, and worshipping any other god, or none at all is obviously a one way ticket to hell. Now personally I think this is horrible and I think digital people who are just as aware and cognitive in their virtual worlds as we are in ours deserve equal human rights. Anyway in conclusion, I hope we're not in one of these worlds.
  • wjfox likes this

OrbitalResonance

OrbitalResonance

Cosmic Emperor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts
  • LocationDeep Space
S C A R Y There has to be a way to prevent this.

We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers. - Carl Sagan

Keitaro2011

Keitaro2011

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationB.C. Canada

Assuming we are able to master the art of living forever and fully immersive virtual reality environments. It would be theoretically possible to create our own version of hell. By that I mean constant incredibly painful suffering on somebody for more or less eternity. And forget getting used to the pain, it could be designed so that the pain always appears to be getting worse by messing with the nerve endings and whenever a nerve dies it could be replaced with a brand new one for a load more suffering. Also you could never go unconscious and have a break (again just mess with the brain so this can't happen). Also you could mess with their memory so they always think they've been in there 1000 times longer than they actually have. Throw in some fiery visual effects and you're sorted.

Now using this on real people would probably be frowned upon, and I would hope incredibly illegal (if law still exists as such). But assuming we give people full control in their own personal little virtual worlds, they could create millions of digital people who in terms of thought processes are identical to human beings in every way. Then the creator could play God and if people didn't obey him and worship him he could send them to this lovely sounding hell he's created for eternity. He could make a heaven as well, but if he's particularly twisted it'll just be a trick and it turns out everybody goes to hell as the one true god was actually one he never told anyone about who lives in space and never intervenes with real life, and worshipping any other god, or none at all is obviously a one way ticket to hell.

Now personally I think this is horrible and I think digital people who are just as aware and cognitive in their virtual worlds as we are in ours deserve equal human rights. Anyway in conclusion, I hope we're not in one of these worlds.

I've considered this very scenario. It is indeed very scary. I think there would be measures in place to prevent this.
It's apparent to me that a lot of people seem to want to prove why a technology is not possible, rather than think of ingenious ways to make something possible. It's my conviction that when someone says something is "impossible," what they really mean is "our current level of science cannot explain this, and I don’t have the motivation to explore beyond its boundaries." -Richard Obousy

Caiman

Caiman

Administratus Extremus

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts
  • LocationManchester, England
It’s a scary thought, isn’t it. I could imagine that time wouldn’t necessarily have to run at 1x speed in such a simulation either, and you could put someone in there for what feels like a thousand years to them but really, has only been a year in the real world, for instance. Reminds me of an episode of the outer limits actually where they invented a digital prison and the creator accidently wound up serving a life sentence in there, undergoing various brutal and life altering punishments, only to be released back into the ‘real world’ later and finding only an hour of time had actually passed, yet now having a lifetime of painful memories to boot. Suffice to say he was then opposed to its use...
~Jon

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow
Give man a knife. Some will use it to stab others, some will peel apple. TNT, nuclear energy... SSDD.
"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

"Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users