Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Thorium Nuclear Energy future for China and India

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

MarcusAurelius

MarcusAurelius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts
These are relatively old articles, almost a year old for India's announcement, but the repercussions are basically the same. A western world lagging behind nations like China and India in the future of energy production. 50 years ago America was a world leader in the research and development of Thorium powered nuclear reactors. Today its reliance on oil and other fossil fuels have crippled its economy significantly. While short sighted politicians ponder the future and pander to an overzealous public hellbent on climate change solutions based on renewables like solar and wind, other nations on the rise like India and China are looking at more immediate solutions that are realistic and achievable. Will this usher in a widening gap in energy costs for western nations versus its more forward thinking neighbors in the the east? And what will happen in 20 years time when eastern nations start to thrive on Thorium power while America and others lag behind. Is this just another game changing element that will expedite the natural rise of the east and the steady decline of the west?

India Turns to Thorium As Future Reactor Fuel
http://www.nei.org/r...e-reactor-fuel/

Thorium-rich India plans alternative nuclear reactor
http://www.smh.com.a...1104-1mzw3.html

China Announces Thorium Energy Project
http://www.itheo.org...-energy-project

China announces thorium reactor energy program, Obama still dwelling on “Sputnik moments”
http://wattsupwithth...putnik-moments/

Posted Image

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow
Given what I've read and seen on thorium it's fantastic news.
"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

"Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone."

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,982 posts
  • Locationwhere fanciful imaginings and hard won knowledge meet to genesis the future.
If only we can keep paranoid from squelching it based on the premise of it be nuclear. So many people are panicing about that stuff. Right cuz there are no drawbacks to coal, and there couldn't be any consequences in pulling 1000s of Kw/hrs out the natural air circulations. Hydro electric looked clean an environmental until you saw how it altered landscapes. Everything has it's drawbacks. Thorium Is a good patch, but it too is finite and needs to be extracted. But it could Buy us the time we need for other broad scale sustainable power to come of age.
Live content within small means. Seek elegance rather than luxury, Grace over fashion and wealth over riches.
Listen to clouds and mountains, children and sages. Act bravely, think boldly.
Await occasions, never make haste. Find wonder and awe, by experiencing the everyday.

MarcusAurelius

MarcusAurelius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Here is an interesting TED presentation on Thorium that may of been posted before, and a short documentary showcasing Thoriums future potential and the lamentations that go with not having implemented this incredible technology back when it was proposed.

askpreeti

askpreeti

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
That's a great news, Using Thorium for alternative nuclear reactor would help india a lot. but I also agree with kjaggard "Everything has it's drawbacks"

MarcusAurelius

MarcusAurelius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Yes I think its quite a promising technology. As the video states, Thorium is much more abundant than Uranium and is even readily available on the moon. I find the ability to avoid meltdowns by use of a molten salt cooling solution quite appealing too.

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,982 posts
  • Locationwhere fanciful imaginings and hard won knowledge meet to genesis the future.
Looks like india isn't using it a a liquid in salt reactor but using it in solid form, which is just as inefficient as the stuff we currently do. In fact even though we have thorium we could use in current reactors in solid form it actually makes less sense to try that than just use uranium. So while India has the thorium and the desire to use it for power it sounds like they are shooting for the fastest and lowest form of it, not the more refined and better choice. I'd bet that chinas program also is based on hurry up and good enough for their power needs.
Live content within small means. Seek elegance rather than luxury, Grace over fashion and wealth over riches.
Listen to clouds and mountains, children and sages. Act bravely, think boldly.
Await occasions, never make haste. Find wonder and awe, by experiencing the everyday.

askpreeti

askpreeti

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Looks like india isn't using it a a liquid in salt reactor but using it in solid form, which is just as inefficient as the stuff we currently do. In fact even though we have thorium we could use in current reactors in solid form it actually makes less sense to try that than just use uranium. So while India has the thorium and the desire to use it for power it sounds like they are shooting for the fastest and lowest form of it, not the more refined and better choice. I'd bet that chinas program also is based on hurry up and good enough for their power needs.

I like it. Yes I'm agree with you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users