Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Relations with isolated tribes and the Amish in the future

isolation amish future relations

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

EVanimations

EVanimations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,446 posts
  • LocationThe Eldritch Beyond
Just read this very interesting Cracked article about 6 isolated groups who had no idea that civlization existed.

Got me thinking, what is the future of groups who refuse to embrace our global world? This includes Amish and any other isolated tribes.

Will global climate change bring about the end of their world?

How will we have to interact with them? How will they react to our sufficiently-advanced selves post-singularity?

Will they, over time, diverge into new species?

I dunno, just some thoughts.

Edited by EVanimations, 17 August 2012 - 02:00 PM.

NightWolf235

NightWolf235

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • LocationSouth Brunswick, NJ
It's not going to be just them. In the far future (perhaps 2200-2300) humans who opt to avoid transhuman upgrades will be considered "primative" like them. In terms of tribes, who are literally living like cavemen, well, lets just say that when they meet transhumans with post singularity upgrades, they''ll be more prone to shouting "DEMON!".

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas
I don't think they will evolve into another species, they may not adapt well to food, which was already discussed, and they could have some emotional issues dealing with culture shock (that would be sort of like being placed on another planet full of aliens). I think once we talk to them and reason they might be able to integrate into the rest of the world. Maybe some wouldn't want to, or would be religiously opposed to being modern; but, I assume once they have a reasonable understanding of how the world actually works they would be more willing to join in on it. I want to meet that one tribe that has managed to scare off any visitors by attacking them. Maybe some sort of armor. It would be interesting since they seem like the most hostile against anything different. I noticed racism is common even in tribes that have no knowledge that their skin is not the only color. Automatically they were hostile and called white people devils. Maybe their would be an initial response similar when they find out the different culture that is the rest of the world. We are moving to a homogenous, world-wide culture. Already musical artists are using the internet and thus receiving attention all over the world. Even in 3rd world African countries, cell phones, computers and TVs are around and they have access to the internet. Every where you go, there will most likely be someone who understands English, Spanish or Chinese. It makes communication super easy. I can take out my phone and talk with almost any language since it takes my voice and translates it so the language barrier is almost null. I would bet that once we can call ourselves "post-singularity" the culture will be more or less the same for everyone. Internet memes, slang, music, news etc. The 1st world is almost god-like to them right now. I could easily walk into an uncontacted tribe and wipe them all out with modern weapons or maybe even with just my diseases. We can fly, send in drones and all the other things we take for granted are beyond the scope of their imagination. It will be even more so when we have surrogates and technology in the post-singularity world.

Hey.  Stop reading.  The post is over.

EVanimations

EVanimations

• Members
  • 3,446 posts
Perhaps, if we get so advanced to a point that they stop recognizing us as men with god-like toys, to actual gods, we can get them to come around to our worldview through manipulation and slowly showing them that everything they think they know is wrong. Or we could preserve their culture and keep them around so we can take the form of their gods to screw with them. xD One thing's for certain: an Amish person won't listen to an appeal to reason, they'll listen to an appeal to their beliefs. If someone convinces the Amish that he is their god, and telling them that rock & roll is no longer the devil's work because the devil is dead now, the various settlements will eventually come around. Convince them that Heaven has come to earth (future cities) and that they have a choice to become angels (transhumans). Something like that. WE WILL ASSIMILATE THEM ALL.

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas
I would love to play pocket god with the tribes. It wont happen though, imagine the amount of trolling that would happen if every transhuman could do that. They'd eventualy hate us or all die. Or join the dark side.

EVanimations

EVanimations

• Members
  • 3,446 posts
I just realized what a bunch of imperialistic pricks we sound like right now. X)

I imagine the only reason we would go out of our way to assimilate them was if there was a damn good reason, and I can't think of any off the top of my head. So, they'll stay the way they are for the foreseeable future.

EDIT:

I think I just got an excellent idea for a story premise.

We follow the lives of a couple characters in an Amish settlement. Life is normal and dull for them, they toil away constantly, and tourists from the outside frequently visit their society and generally give them a hard time.

BUT ONE DAY... someone notices that the inflow of tourists has stopped in the last couple of days, and once everyone realizes that they're all suddenly very worried. Later on, some strange things happen: distant glows and humming sounds, a constant feeling they're being watched, etc.

Then come daemon sightings. Strange, shapeless, ethereal beings that can occasionally be spotted around corners and behind trees, if only for less than a second. In one instance, a daemon actually makes contact with one of the characters, and tries to deceive him/her. Every time a daemon is witnessed the experience is even weirder than the last. The village is thoroughly convinced the end of the world has come upon them, so they try to adopt a more nomadic lifestyle.

Over the course of the story we gather clues here and there about what happened to the outsiders, and I think you guys already know.

The book/series/movie would have a horror-ish tone to it.

Of course, I know technology isn't evil, and that's not the message of the story, but it would be more about primitive people coping with a radical change to the world that they couldn't even begin to understand. I think it would be very cool. I humbly request that someone make this happen.

Edited by EVanimations, 17 August 2012 - 07:23 PM.

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas
I suck at writing. It would be fun to read though. I would imagine that for the person that writes the story, it wouldn't be as fun to read.

EVanimations

EVanimations

• Members
  • 3,446 posts
Well, of course it wouldn't be as fun to read to them. It also wouldn't be as fun to read/watch to us either because we already know the twist. But for light sci-fi readers/viewers... it would blow their minds, I'm sure. Transhumanism, despite how world-changing it could be, is less common a trope than I would like... and when you do see it, it's often downplayed or nerfed so as to make it clear to the viewer/reader that yes, these are people who are cyborgs. (Cybermen, Space Marines, Master Chief, the Borg, etc...) The whole time they're thinking this is an incredibly grimdark, post-rapture-ish fantasy setting featuring Amish people but then BAM!!! THE DAEMONS WERE TRANSHUMANS ALL ALONG AND it was actually set a couple decades from now!!! An entirely new, unexplored twist! Don't you dare steal it, any of you. It's all mine, and I just sent made a poor-man's copyright letter and sent it to myself. Though of course someone can write it with my permission and credit. MWUHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA!

Edited by EVanimations, 18 August 2012 - 01:25 AM.

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,825 posts
  • Locationwhere fanciful imaginings and hard won knowledge meet to genesis the future.
I could write something up. Maybe not a whole novel unless I get into some serious character developments. But I also had another story idea for this some time back before the thread was posted. Basically what if the elves and fairies an gods and Djinn are post singularity humans. They are in some ways like us and live in a world where age doesn't touch them, so they can Rip Van Winkle, they can shift for and perform amazing acts that seem to be godly powers... But here is the thing, a child concieved to a fey creature such as them still starts out as a human. Baseline human baby, who may one day choose how they want to become transhuman rather than have it decided for them at birth. But the distance in mind from a transhuman and a human baby may be too vast, too skewed. It would be like some science fiction version of leaving a baby in the care of Marylin Manson and KISS during a year long tour. But there are humans whom a baby human can grow up amongst and get from vulnerable baby to self aware. Humans that are not transhuman. Changelings are the solution. swap the oneday transhuman for a sick or dieing child, heal the child and stasis or somehow else rip van winkle them, and when the time comes exchange them back. usually when the switch is discovered and the parent does what changling parents do to get their child back. repeat a few times until you have a child that is a few years old and set them down as an apprentice of a hedge wizard or orphan somewhere to be raised until they have a sense of their personal identity and then open the world of transhuman to them. They may choose to not become transhuman and instead be crazy hermits or merlins. Or they ascend to transhumanism. Or the short cut route is to find an infertile couple who want a child so badly that they wish and pray and have deep faith that some how, some way their prayers will be answered. And you give them a child to raise. Then when the child is an adult you give them a choice and allow them to tend to their parents as they see fit.
Live content within small means. Seek elegance rather than luxury, Grace over fashion and wealth over riches.
Listen to clouds and mountains, children and sages. Act bravely, think boldly.
Await occasions, never make haste. Find wonder and awe, by experiencing the everyday.

rennerpetey

rennerpetey

To infinity, and beyond

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • LocationLost in the Delta Quadrant

I could write something up.

I love stories like this, primitive characters reacting to advanced(relative) technology.  Did you ever write something up?

Pope Francis said that atheists are still eligible to go to heaven, to return the favor, atheists said that popes are still eligible to go into a void of nothingness.

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,214 posts
  • LocationIn the Basket of Deplorables

I think there's going to be a continuum. There won't just be "clarketech demigods living in diamond cities" and "Luddites in caves". Sure you'll have high-toposophic beings in clarketech cities, and likely modosophonts that live around them for various reasons. You'll also have people who augment themselves to some degree (or just have very advanced devices at their disposal) and live very high-tech but still comprehensible lives (like the majority of human-level sophonts in my universe and the Orion's Arm universe). You'll have various subcultures that prefer specific technology levels all the way down to preindustrial, or who live on the fringes of technological society like the Amish and tend to hold tech developments at arm's length (you know, the Amish are still allowed to ride cars that other people are driving, use batteries, etc.). And there will be those who are truly cut off from technological society and don't participate at all, maybe even aren't aware of its existence and/or scope (like the Sentinelese). And there will be the homesteaders and colonizers who are the first to inhabit new regions and have to bring everything with them. It's not clear exactly how this will effect their technology and standard of living (may make a thread on that).

Click 'show' to see quotes from great luminaries.

Spoiler

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: isolation, amish, future, relations

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users