Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

When Will Virtual Reality Make a Come Back?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

Anon01

Anon01

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
I've seen several articles online saying that VR might make a comeback this decade. Although I am not putting my money on it since it can still fail I would like to know when do you think it could be sucessfull?

MarcusAurelius

MarcusAurelius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts
I have always felt that Virtual Reality was overstated in the 90s when the technology was not mature enough to offer a truly immersive experience. However it didn't stop the technology from being romanticized by many. Many thought that the 90s would usher in the beginnings of such a phenomenon. But there were many things lacking at the time, most importantly low latency head tracking for a consumer home market version. Also you have to remember around the 90s graphics had a long way to go before they could even pretend to being photorealistic. Even now we are maybe just another generation away from achieving truly jaw dropping 3d modelling.

Things have certainly changed since then though. With the rise of smartphone technology, we have high resolution small OLED screens that were a fantasy a decade ago and wholly necessary for a viable goggle interface. We have sophisticated and inexpensive accelerometers and gyroscopes that fit on a dime. This is truly game changing stuff, and only as recently as a few years ago. At least insofar as the prices dropping low enough for some inexpensive VR to be dreamt up.

Now I am largely cynical by nature, but this new product on the horizon has created a real stir. And its making waves in technology and gaming circles right now.

Enter

The Oculus Rift.
http://www.kickstart...e-game?ref=live
Posted Image

Perhaps the industries biggest chance thus far on really officially starting a VR gaming revolution by as early as end of this year or 2013. I say this with much confidence as its gotten some overwhelming support by industry leaders like Valve, John Carmack (Doom creator) and many others. In fact John Carmack will support this technology with his Doom BFG edition coming out soon. The kickstarter blew everyone away with its record breaking success and its touted as the next big thing to hit computing. I think it parallels the inception of 3d graphic accelerator cards. Because many who trialed it so far have sung only praises to its promise.

Now I am not at all fussed if they get it perfect the first time, it only has to be good enough that people are blown away by it. When the industry wakes up to the potential of VR and the viability of it with current tech.... then things will get interesting. You will see many competing companies take on the challenge on improving this concept. And only gamers can be the true winners of such rapid and aggressive innovation. Couple this with such emerging technologies like the Leap Motion tech also on the horizon and you will see a convergence of truly amazing innovation.

So watch this space I say because things are certainly going to get interesting

Below is a link of other games coming onboard. But most notable is HAWKEN which there is a youtube video of it in their kickstarter page.

http://steamcommunit...ls/?id=92979040
  • Yuli Ban likes this

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas
I would bet the mid-late decade will make it a common consumer product. The Oculus Rift is a really cool product, and it will probably start the VR hype. I was only like 5, but it stuck with me. I don't know when, but it was in the 90s, there was a carnival I went to and a tent had a virtual reality room set up. I couldn't use it because it was too expensive, but I got my first game console the N64 when I turned 5. I was into video games and I thought VR would be amazing. Of course I was too young to understand that the graphics were impossible to provide anything good then. The graphics are getting better and better very fast. My computer has better graphical capabilities than any console. The improvments will outpace console generations, and devices like the Oculus rift will rapidly get better and better. By 2019 the graphical ability of a device small enough to provide VR will be better than what we have today, so I really do think that VR will be a consumer product this decade. It will be expensive to keep up with the latest generation though.

Hey.  Stop reading.  The post is over.

Dead Redshirt

Dead Redshirt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
I don't know. I'm not very convinced about this. It's all very cool, but the one constant I see in all this between the old tech and the new is the bulk. It was bulky then, and it's still bulky now and that was the one of the main things stopping it from being successful even though many tried.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. - Jack Layton - 1950 - 2011

MarcusAurelius

MarcusAurelius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts
The Oculus Rift is a lightweight when compared to the behemoths of 90s yesteryear VR tech. As stated by Palmer Luckey it barely weighs a couple hundred grams and thats the prototype. It is not heavy by any stretch of the imagination. But I remain cautiously optimistic, regardless. My gut tells me this is going to be the start of something big. Our technology is growing exponentially and smartphones, tablet computing is spurring unprecedented development and alot of innovation. My guess is that when the Oculus Rift hits the market and other competitors shortly after, we will see another explosion of technology all aimed at quickly improving this concept and then moving onto true AR as well. Michael Abash and others have stated that VR is challenging in itself, but AR will be at least just outside of this decade before we truly conquer the technical difficulties involved.

Dead Redshirt

Dead Redshirt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
When I'm talking about bulk, I'm not talking about the weight. No doubt it's lighter now, but you've still got that awkward headpiece you've got to wear. Watch Johnny Nmemonic and Lawnmower Man now, made when VR was at the height of its craze, and they look dorky and dated. I see the same problem with this, and I feel it's the main hurdle in VR. Either people will adopt it or will feel subconcious about what they've got to wear to achieve the desired effect. And people can and will feel subconcious about technology, such as with the Wii or any motion based-control system, waving their arms around like a maniac. And then yeah, there's the price like someone else mentioned.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. - Jack Layton - 1950 - 2011

MarcusAurelius

MarcusAurelius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Noted that there is a certain trepidation with some people in using Head mounted displays(HMDs), but that isn't stopping the likes of Sony with its Sony HMZ-T1 HMD or even google from pushing forward with its smartglasses. I personally don't think having a HMD is going to cause massive consumer apathy towards VR. In much the same way using bluetooth hands free devices didn't make everyone so self conscious about talking to thin air. You might be undervaluing how far gamers are willing to go for truly immersive and next generation computer gaming. Do you really think some pet peeve will stop a hardcore gamer from embracing VR when seeing a dramatic improvement on his gaming experience?

There are always some who will wait until seeing a big uptake on the technology before diving in too. As is the case with any new technology or product. However this is technically feasible today, and with the ever decreasing size in computing hardware and the dropping prices and increasing sophistication in motion sensor technnology, its an inevitable development. Palmer Luckey is aiming for a mid entry consumer base. And his prototypes sold for around $300 a pop. Expect the final version to be no more than a few hundred dollars more, if that. My guess is that there will be a $500 entry level version and maybe one going for upto a grand for the avid gamer who spares no expense to witnessing the cutting edge of VR.

Edited by MarcusAurelius, 25 September 2012 - 12:46 AM.

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas
I don't see a problem with it, and the only time I can see anything being awkward about it is if you were wearing it in public. Which people wouldn't unless they were in a really long flight or car ride. It will happen. Look how far we've come.

Edited by SG-1, 25 September 2012 - 02:27 AM.

Hey.  Stop reading.  The post is over.

Alric

Alric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts
I am not to worried about it being bulky. All you have to do is look at things like cell phones to see how powerful computers can get and how small and thin they can get. Yea you start out big but every generation it will get thinner, faster, smaller and more light weight. At this point I don't see it taking very long at all for electronic stuff to shrink. All the stuff put together is new technology but the parts are all stuff that has been shrinking for a while now.

King of Ace

King of Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts
how VR is to you??

but somehow this is VR to me http://www.futuretim...virtual_reality

I am not a fan of S.T show "just don't like it" ,Its boring like hell but I love to see cool technology in coming years.

i don't live in really great english countries like some you guys, im alittle indian,chinese,enbgrish ,mexican, leaf village and soul society .

Planetnirn

Planetnirn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I don't want some stupid fucking headset, I want nanotechnology controlling the signals that are sent to my brain trough the nerves.
  • uJelleh, King of Ace and LWFlouisa like this

zen_mutiny

zen_mutiny

Post-Singularitarian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • LocationIndiana, United States
Make a comeback? We've never had virtual reality, unitl we have what Planetnirn just suggested. ^^^
  • King of Ace likes this

MarcusAurelius

MarcusAurelius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Wow thats like someone stating they will never ride in anything less than a Lamborgini supercar back in the early 20th century when the internal combustion engine was in its infancy. How realistic is that? lol As much as I would revel living in a world where holodecks are ubiquitous and widespread in our society, we have to be mindful that everything happens progressively. Alot of little steps will eventually get us there. Personally I would be wary about being the first of anyone to try mind implant technology that pervasive. But once its a proven science, then yeah sure.
  • Casey likes this

King of Ace

King of Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Wow thats like someone stating they will never ride in anything less than a Lamborgini supercar back in the early 20th century when the internal combustion engine was in its infancy. How realistic is that? lol As much as I would revel living in a world where holodecks are ubiquitous and widespread in our society, we have to be mindful that everything happens progressively. Alot of little steps will eventually get us there. Personally I would be wary about being the first of anyone to try mind implant technology that pervasive. But once its a proven science, then yeah sure.

but is Nano bot even release yet?

I am not a fan of S.T show "just don't like it" ,Its boring like hell but I love to see cool technology in coming years.

i don't live in really great english countries like some you guys, im alittle indian,chinese,enbgrish ,mexican, leaf village and soul society .

ro1547

ro1547

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
The progress on VR largely depends on progress in the fields of computing power and data transmission.thing is,even if we use processing speeds without breaking moores law we will still end up with VR that has low amounts of detail & slow visual output.

Casey

Casey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

I don't want some stupid fucking headset, I want nanotechnology controlling the signals that are sent to my brain trough the nerves.

Yeah, I seriously doubt that you'll care once the time comes... sheer novelty can be a powerful force, overwhelming and erasing from mind any sort of problems with quality.

Planetnirn if he lived in the 19th century: Whoa, this 'camera' thing is crazy! Who cares if the pictures are black and white, it's amazing that you can freeze a moment in time!
Planetnirn in the 1910s: Holy crap, now there's not just pictures but moving pictures? That's so crazy that I don't even care if these 'movie' things are silent and colorless.
Planetnirn in the 1970s: I can't believe it... this 'Pong' thing is unreal! I press the control stick upwards, and my 'racket' moves upwards... I can control what happens on the screen! This is more simple than the games I play in real life, but I don't care, this is unlike anything I've ever experienced. Pong is the pinnacle of technology.
Planetnirn in the 2020s (or whatever): Holy fuck, virtual reality! I don't care if there's a bulky headset or if these virtual reality worlds are sparsely populated, I'm moving in an alternate world! Holy crap holy crap!

Trust me, this is the way things will turn out the first time you try Virtual Reality even if the headset weighs eighty pounds and takes up half the room.
  • SG-1 and Yuli Ban like this

MarcusAurelius

MarcusAurelius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Finally someone who gets it. Thanks Casey. This is definitely the way new technology makes ground in the beginning. Its the WOW factor and most importantly FUNCTIONALITY, then innovation and development takes care of the rest. And like I have kept emphasising about this tech in particular.... it is said to weigh a maximum of 200g!!! Given the size of mobile phones these days, and the ever shrinking OLED screen technology, its not so far fetched. Well just watch this space for further developments.
  • Casey likes this

Nick1984

Nick1984

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts
Having read positive reviews about Oculus Rift and the fact that the headset only costs $300 to make it seems inevitable that VR will take off soon. Compared to the low-res, bulky, non-headtracking headset concepts of the mid-90s we've come a hell of a long way. Can't wait to play games like Doom, Halo and BattleField on Oculus Rift next year :)

King of Ace

King of Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Having read positive reviews about Oculus Rift and the fact that the headset only costs $300 to make it seems inevitable that VR will take off soon. Compared to the low-res, bulky, non-headtracking headset concepts of the mid-90s we've come a hell of a long way. Can't wait to play games like Doom, Halo and BattleField on Oculus Rift next year :)

Quantum computers much?

MarcusAurelius

MarcusAurelius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Hmm you do realise that Quantum computers are at least 20 years away before anything practical can be made of them. And maybe even further before you will be playing a genuine quantum computer powered VR game. Hence the reason behind mentioning the Oculus Rift since its right around the corner tech.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users