Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

When Will Virtual Reality Make a Come Back?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

Jerry

Jerry

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
From the research I've been doing I believe without a doubt that Virtual Reality will gain massive uptake over the next few years. Helped along by the highly probable use of Augmented Reality in the upcoming console generation and the push by software companies to evolve the smart phone (Google glass).

As for the RIft it's first and foremost a development kit (I'm an indie game developer waiting anxiously for mine) so naturally very few people will be "impressed" by the Rift. The retail release planned for next year hopes to be wireless using a 1080p display and either a 6-DOF controller or neural interface. All for roughly $500US too. Now that isn't concrete information, but the above does come from the mouth of Palmer (Rift creator) prior to the start of the hype train (around Feb this year, before E3 and Carmack splash). So I doubt you'll get that response today due to the insane growth and business Palmer and Co have had, but it's a peak into the mind of our new VR pioneer!

As for Quantum computers, there always seems to be misconceptions over what it is and can do. It's likely you'll have a quantum add-on card to assist your computing tasks rather than using a single quantum computer.

Now back to VR here's my take on this field, including my definitions of each terminology:

Virtual Reality
Obscures your current reality

Augmented Realilty
Overlayed on top of your current reality

Simulated Reality
Replaces your current reality (This it the neural-nano interface expected in 2039).

I believe by 2020 most people will only take off their AR interface to sleep, all you need then is to add some light blocking technology and you can turn AR into VR at will.

TL;DR
My belief is the fuse of VR is about to meet the bomb!
  • King of Ace likes this

King of Ace

King of Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

From the research I've been doing I believe without a doubt that Virtual Reality will gain massive uptake over the next few years. Helped along by the highly probable use of Augmented Reality in the upcoming console generation and the push by software companies to evolve the smart phone (Google glass). As for the RIft it's first and foremost a development kit (I'm an indie game developer waiting anxiously for mine) so naturally very few people will be "impressed" by the Rift. The retail release planned for next year hopes to be wireless using a 1080p display and either a 6-DOF controller or neural interface. All for roughly $500US too. Now that isn't concrete information, but the above does come from the mouth of Palmer (Rift creator) prior to the start of the hype train (around Feb this year, before E3 and Carmack splash). So I doubt you'll get that response today due to the insane growth and business Palmer and Co have had, but it's a peak into the mind of our new VR pioneer! As for Quantum computers, there always seems to be misconceptions over what it is and can do. It's likely you'll have a quantum add-on card to assist your computing tasks rather than using a single quantum computer. Now back to VR here's my take on this field, including my definitions of each terminology: Virtual Reality Obscures your current reality Augmented Realilty Overlayed on top of your current reality Simulated Reality Replaces your current reality (This it the neural-nano interface expected in 2039). I believe by 2020 most people will only take off their AR interface to sleep, all you need then is to add some light blocking technology and you can turn AR into VR at will. TL;DR My belief is the fuse of VR is about to meet the bomb!

thanks for the reply ! 20 years to go, But for now i will get Rift or Sony headset V2 for my PS3 bigger screen!

Edited by King of Ace, 05 October 2012 - 09:51 AM.

I am not a fan of S.T show "just don't like it" ,Its boring like hell but I love to see cool technology in coming years.

i don't live in really great english countries like some you guys, im alittle indian,chinese,enbgrish ,mexican, leaf village and soul society .

Jerry

Jerry

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
You're welcome King. Make sure you ask yourself exactly what you want from the headset as the Rift and Sony are aimed at two different markets. Comparison wise, the Sony (and all other HMDs atm) will emulate the experience of being in a cinema alone. The Rift tries to emulate being right there in the action which means 2d media, such as movies and the desktop, will have to compensate for the warping by reducing the resolution to the center of your FOV. With the Devkit of the Rift being 1280x800 resolution you'll unlikely want to watch any media with it as the resolution would be sub-SD quality.

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,190 posts
We really never had a real virtual reality...how can this come back??

Nick1984

Nick1984

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

We really never had a real virtual reality...how can this come back??

Virtual Reality was billed as being the next big thing in gaming around 1992 and a load of companies were showing off headsets at trade shows like CES. The hype spawned the movie The Lawnmower Man (starring Pierce Brosnan) and everyone was convinced we'd be using VR to play games like Doom in just a few years.

However the lack 1:1 headtracking, low-res screens, cost, and the amount of people feeling sick at trade-shows made people realise VR was a long way off. The final nail in the coffin was Nintendo's Virtual Boy which ruined the public perception of VR.

Thankfully, 20 years later, all the required technology is available (HD OLED, gyroscopes, powerful processors) and a convergence is taking place.
  • wjfox, H3llion and Yuli Ban like this

MarcusAurelius

MarcusAurelius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Welcome to the forums Jerry. Its good to know a game developer is among us in these boards.

Just touching base here, this is a link to steamcommunity page and the many games already touted to support the Oculus Rift. Not to mention games like HAWKEN and Doom 3 BFG edition which already support it.

FYI gang.

http://steamcommunit...ls/?id=92979040

Edited by MarcusAurelius, 11 October 2012 - 08:53 AM.

BM-91

BM-91

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA
I must admit it looks as if this decade will seen VR finally hitting the market in full force. Id say the timing is quite perfect aswell with the next generation of television gaming consoles hitting store shelves next year. (I also agree with Nick1984, VR of the 90's was more of an arcade gimmick and did not have all of the necessary tech in place).

Edited by BM-91, 16 October 2012 - 05:58 AM.

King of Ace

King of Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts
are there anymore places to read these VR stuff?

I am not a fan of S.T show "just don't like it" ,Its boring like hell but I love to see cool technology in coming years.

i don't live in really great english countries like some you guys, im alittle indian,chinese,enbgrish ,mexican, leaf village and soul society .

Nick1984

Nick1984

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

are there anymore places to read these VR stuff?

Yes, Oculus community forum

http://oculusrift.com/

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,070 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

UPDATE

We are now living in a twilight period; a transitory moment where anything can go right— or wrong— with the development of VR. A chance event could kill modern virtual reality dead in its tracks, or could bring it to exospheric levels. 

I'd say it's made a strong comeback already, but we shouldn't say that it's alive. No VR headset has sold more than the Oculus Rift dev kit since the '90s. And that's just the developer's kit, not the commercial product. 

When the thing plants its bottom on store shelves, and it flies off said shelves, and half the population dies off from malnourishment, sleep deprivation, and extreme masturbation then VR will have made a bonafide "comeback."

Nobody's gonna take my drone, I'm gonna fly miles far too high!
Nobody gonna beat my drone, it's gonna shoot into the sky!

GenX

GenX

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

I definitely remember VR back in the 90's.  They had two or three of the multi-directional treadmills at the mall arcade where I lived, along with a gun and a sword you could connect depending on the simulation that you chose (I think there were 12 options or something like that).  I was super excited to try it, and so, so disappointed when I did.  I think it made just about every sick that actually tried it.  I thought it would look at least as good as the original Tron or regular 8-bit Nintendo but it did not.  Now, the new VR will look absolutely real, but you still won't feel anything.  As long as they can eliminate the motion sickness I'll definitely buy one, but what I really want is where it looks and feels completely real.  That technology is still a very long way away and I'm dubious that I'll live to see it (assuming a normal 70 year lifespan or so).

The only thing we ever want is more

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,070 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Having read positive reviews about Oculus Rift and the fact that the headset only costs $300 to make it seems inevitable that VR will take off soon.

Compared to the low-res, bulky, non-headtracking headset concepts of the mid-90s we've come a hell of a long way.

Can't wait to play games like Doom, Halo and BattleField on Oculus Rift next year Posted Image

27th Jan 2014 3:11 PM

=/= 365 days After/Since

29 Sept 2012 - 03:05 AM

It's funny how long we've waited, and we should wait some more, lest we want to kill VR dead.

PrimordialBeing

PrimordialBeing

Why are you bothering to look at this? Go read my post.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,468 posts
How many sales of the Oculus Rift are expected? Say, within the first 6 months?
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for life" -Terry Pratchett
"And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you"-Friedrich Nietzsche
"The biggest risk is not taking any risk.. In a world that is changing quickly, the only strategy that is guaranteed to fail is not taking risks* - Mark Zuckerberg

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas

A bajiliion.  I have the dev kit - so glad I got it.  I cant wait until the consumer this year

Hey.  Stop reading.  The post is over.

Cosmic Cat

Cosmic Cat

Hibernating

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,345 posts
  • Location-

UPDATE We are now living in a twilight period; a transitory moment where anything can go right— or wrong— with the development of VR. A chance event could kill modern virtual reality dead in its tracks, or could bring it to exospheric levels. I'd say it's made a strong comeback already, but we shouldn't say that it's alive. No VR headset has sold more than the Oculus Rift dev kit since the '90s. And that's just the developer's kit, not the commercial product. When the thing plants its bottom on store shelves, and it flies off said shelves, and half the population dies off from malnourishment, sleep deprivation, and extreme masturbation then VR will have made a bonafide "comeback."

Extreme masturbation. That was amazing. :'D

PrimordialBeing

PrimordialBeing

Why are you bothering to look at this? Go read my post.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,468 posts

A bajiliion.  I have the dev kit - so glad I got it.  I cant wait until the consumer this year

Everyone will be plugged into VR. I like it
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for life" -Terry Pratchett
"And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you"-Friedrich Nietzsche
"The biggest risk is not taking any risk.. In a world that is changing quickly, the only strategy that is guaranteed to fail is not taking risks* - Mark Zuckerberg

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,070 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

UPDATE

We are now living in the infancy of VR, about ready to start tugging at some blanket to pull ourselves to our feet and stand up but not quite there yet. It's funny reading some of these early replies in this thread; funny as well as enlightening. Several thought consumer VR was a decade away; others thought it'd arrive by mid-decade. The latter was true!

Then there was Nick1984, bless his heart, who thought the Oculus Rift would be released in 2013. I suppose "Dev Kit" would apply, but I have a feeling he's referring to CV1. Actually, back in 2013, we all thought that the Rift would be released in 2014. We were saying that, if it weren't released by Q3 2014, it would have been put off for too long to be successful. Oh, if only we could've known...!

The VR field today is overloaded with headsets. IT'S UNBELIEVABLE. I went to Walmart, and there it was— a sectionful of mobile VR headsets. Most of them were between $30 and $70 in price; a few were lower, a few were higher. 

When this thread began, you could barely buy a VR headset online, let alone in a physical store. There was virtually no market to speak of. I think its global market cap was measured in the tens of millions at the time. And yet here we are, living in a gloriously virtual age.

We're in exospheric levels, needless to say, and this damn industry has yet to even walk. Seriously, where's the killer app?

• Casey and LWFlouisa like this

LWFlouisa

LWFlouisa

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationNashChat

I'm more into using motion after effects from starring at spirals to effects the real world. A subtle augmented reality.

I had the chance to play a racing VR game over at Opri Mills mall when I was a kid. Looking back on it I found it somewhat underwhelming. If it were a JRPG Fantasy Fantasy virtual reality, I might feel differently.

I've written books about just that. But the kind of VR based on sleep aids, head jacks, and morse code.

Cerebrum Cerebellum -- Speculative Non-Fiction -- Writing

Luna Network -- Nodal Sneaker Network -- Programming

Published Works: https://www.wattpad.com/432077022-tevun-krus-44-sword-planet-the-intergalactic-heads

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,070 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

I'm more into using motion after effects from starring at spirals to effects the real world. A subtle augmented reality.

Oh, you do that too?

• LWFlouisa likes this

Alpha Centari

Alpha Centari

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
The year is currently 2017. It seems that the prediction of VR making a come back in 2016 was true as last year we saw the release of quite a few major VR headsets such as the Oculas rift, HTC Vive and Sony's PlayStation VR set. All 3 of which are currently one of the top VR models. Yep we can certainly agree that VR has finally entered the mass market something people thought would never come to light decades ago, and reading some posts f the early comments of this thread back in 2012 proves my point. But you wait decades from now like around the 2030's, 40's and 50's we'll start to notice some pretty significant advances in VR. So much so that we'll be looking back at the earlier VR models like the ones I've mentioned above, and say "Wow, HTC Vive is child's play compared to the immersive Virtual simulator 2.0."
  • Casey likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users