Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

When Will Virtual Reality Make a Come Back?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

LWFlouisa

LWFlouisa

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationNashChat

I'm more into using motion after effects from starring at spirals to effects the real world. A subtle augmented reality.

Oh, you do that too?

In a sense, I have been. Though I'm doing more SRV these days. But going to combine them later into a single unified system.

I mean think how useful it could be for those wanting to program tools for SRV, if they didn't have to use TOR browser check their remote viewing tests in a mapping software.

Ideally one that could be used in a Free Software equivalent to Google glass.

There is a place for virtual reality, but it feels like to much Internet and not enough Sneaker Net.

Cerebrum Cerebellum -- Speculative Non-Fiction -- Writing

Luna Network -- Nodal Sneaker Network -- Programming

Published Works: https://www.wattpad.com/432077022-tevun-krus-44-sword-planet-the-intergalactic-heads

Wolfbane

Wolfbane

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationHarja

When Man discovers he can use virtual reality to experience the world as an animal, that is when it will make a comeback.

So too shall Nature itself return triumphant to his mind. For Man has forgotten that he too came from the wilderness.

Empathy my friends, empathy for your fellow living beings. That is the true gift of this new reality. As for me, I eagerly await the day. We shall hunt in packs together on the icy steppes. Imagine how it would feel to run on all fours, to hound deer and rabbits, to know that it is all part of the life system...

However, knowing Man, some of you will use this power for great evil! So it has always been; Man is clever, but not wise. New depths of depravity shall be uncovered in a world where anything is possible. This degeneracy shall leak, indeed, into the world of Man and then into Nature, as so many demons pouring forth from your new digital reality...

The new era is just beginning my friends. Potentials are soon to be unlocked. Keep your ears perked... Wolves are neither good nor evil, they just are. But Man has a choice. When you can create virtual worlds, will you choose good, or evil? Do not make your choice lightly! For what transpires in one world carries over to the next...

• bee14ish likes this

What is it to fear? If death is an end, then so be it. For there is no pain in that, except the pain that is left to the living. And if death is not an end, then what more than a wonderful journey...

Erowind

Erowind

Psychonaut, Aspiring Mathematician and Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationInside some convoluted formula I don't actually understand.

When Man discovers he can use virtual reality to experience the world as an animal, that is when it will make a comeback.

So too shall Nature itself return triumphant to his mind. For Man has forgotten that he too came from the wilderness.

Empathy my friends, empathy for your fellow living beings. That is the true gift of this new reality. As for me, I eagerly await the day. We shall hunt in packs together on the icy steppes. Imagine how it would feel to run on all fours, to hound deer and rabbits, to know that it is all part of the life system...

However, knowing Man, some of you will use this power for great evil! So it has always been; Man is clever, but not wise. New depths of depravity shall be uncovered in a world where anything is possible. This degeneracy shall leak, indeed, into the world of Man and then into Nature, as so many demons pouring forth from your new digital reality...

The new era is just beginning my friends. Potentials are soon to be unlocked. Keep your ears perked... Wolves are neither good nor evil, they just are. But Man has a choice. When you can create virtual worlds, will you choose good, or evil? Do not make your choice lightly! For what transpires in one world carries over to the next...

I'm surprised to see you use the good or evil narrative given the nature of this post. Perhaps the world was not created for man to decide what is good or evil. Maybe man was created to be part of the world.

~ Yes, I did read Ishmael recently.

Current status: slaving away for the math gods of Pythagoras VII.

Wolfbane

Wolfbane

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationHarja

This one has wisdom...

But it was given to Man to decide for himself what is right and what is wrong. And so as he reaches for the light, he casts a shadow. The shadow is deeper and darker than any horror of Nature... It is folly to underestimate the consequences of your freedom.

What is it to fear? If death is an end, then so be it. For there is no pain in that, except the pain that is left to the living. And if death is not an end, then what more than a wonderful journey...

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,512 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

I'm surprised to see you use the good or evil narrative given the nature of this post. Perhaps the world was not created for man to decide what is good or evil. Maybe man was created to be part of the world.

Nothing was ever created - just transformed from one thing to another. After all, nothing springs out of bona fide nothingness.

What are you without the sum of your parts?

Erowind

Erowind

Psychonaut, Aspiring Mathematician and Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationInside some convoluted formula I don't actually understand.

Nothing was ever created - just transformed from one thing to another. After all, nothing springs out of bona fide nothingness.

Of course not, it's all just a metaphor. The books narrative spends a good bit of time explaining why our culture's interpretation of the world and our origin story are mythology even when grounded in science. 

1v6gTwd.png

owEtiKq.png

Current status: slaving away for the math gods of Pythagoras VII.

Maximum7

Maximum7

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Nerd likes this

Kynareth

Kynareth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

As a frequent Gear VR user and someone who tried more than a dozen of different VR (and AR) headsets, I am quite convinced VR will become widespread only when BCIs become good enough. Enthusiasts like me are excited for VR but most people are not. Really. It's impossible to point exact year like, "2019". When we can control computers with our thoughts with more precision and ease than with a keyboard and a mouse, then VR very rapidly may become ubiquitous. There will be no such thing as mainstream VR without BCI. I would even argue that what we have now is not true VR. It's just a box you strap to your head and use a Wiilot or two with it. Even with 2160p screen you still can see every single pixel.

What needs to change for VR to become mainstream and "make a real comeback":

- comfortable thought control much better than more traditional controls (like Kinect, PS Move or gamepads)

- thousands of times faster GPUs (without increasing power envelope)

- at least 180 degrees field of view

- small (and cheap) displays that have more than 100 million pixels

- super advanced game engines that allow for easy content creation (in VR using AI), without the need for thousands of people to work years for a single project (like a game)

No idea when it will happen. 2021 would be perfect but it is only a wet dream. BCIs and FoV like that may be realistically available by 2025, displays by 2026, game engines by 2027 and GPUs by 2028. That would mean comeback around 2030, 13 years away. Most people I talk with, consider VR a gimmick. I know some who use it on a daily basis but they are exceptions, they were always interested in stuff like that, just like me or Palmer Luckey (he's a hardcore genius). In my opinion, every one of those things must come to fruition before VR sets become like smartphones today. And honestly, I am rather disappointed with last 4 years of development in virtual reality. I remember using Oculus Rift in 2013 and not much has changed. For 1200$ (which in many countries is a huge amount of money) or more you get blurry, pixelated experience with extremely limited controls. Sadly, you can count good VR games that are not demos on fingers of one hand. Hardware is limiting software and software is limiting hardware sales which is limiting hardware R&D.

• bee14ish, Erowind and Nerd like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users