Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

AI & Robotics News and Discussions

artificial intelligence machine learning deep learning robots ASIMO Singularity Boston Dynamics automation AI robotics

• Please log in to reply
2747 replies to this topic

Prolite

Prolite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
OMG!
  • Craven, Roh234, Deadbolt and 2 others like this
I'm a business man, that's all you need to know about me.

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow
Awesome! 9 points for terminator model T-211, +5 points for red emergency light, +2 for sneakers and +0,5 for pushups. That's 16,5/10 on my Awesome-o-meter. I'm literally blown away. They should program ASIMO to cry like retarded little girl now.
  • eacao likes this
"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

"Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone."

Prolite

Prolite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Awesome! 9 points for terminator model T-211, +5 points for red emergency light, +2 for sneakers and +0,5 for pushups. That's 16,5/10 on my Awesome-o-meter. I'm literally blown away. They should program ASIMO to cry like retarded little girl now.

I hail THAT statement. ASIMO is blown away; eat Petman's dust.

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,963 posts
  • LocationLondon
That is genuinely scary.

Prolite

Prolite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

That is genuinely scary.

Watch what happens in 5 years from now. Boston Dynamics was started in 1992 so it's possible this project was started almost 20 years ago. If this is so, the work on PETMAN is progressing rapidly at this point. I wonder if DARPA is already using memristor technology.
  • eacao likes this

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow
He totally looked like AT-ST at first. http://www.bostondyn...bot_petman.html According to this they did it in just 30 months, and (disappointingly) it's designed to test chemical suits, not to kill Adolf Hitler and Justin Biber in past.
"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

Deadbolt

Deadbolt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts
They say it was built for that, but obviously this is just the start of the Justin Bieber killing possibilities.
  • Yuli Ban likes this
NO!

Prolite

Prolite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
lol @ PETMAN being used only to test chemical suits. That's the funniest thing I've ever heard. That's a downright lie.
  • eacao likes this

jjf3

jjf3

Not a Member of the Tea Party! Just a Concerned Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,046 posts
  • LocationHolmdel NJ/Tampa Fl
Jumping 3D printed spider-bots created to help save lives not enslave them:

Researchers at the Fraunhofer Institute for Manufacturing Engineering and Automation IPA have developed a prototype spider robot that will provide a cheap, mobile, and effective solution during various hazardous and disaster response missions.

Looks familiar??? They're real!!!! and created through 3D printing no doubt.

Posted Image

http://www.digitaltr...t-enslave-them/
"Did you really expect some utopian fantasy to rise from the ashes?" Thomas Zarek-- Battlestar Galactica.

Mr. Carmichael

Mr. Carmichael

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
Every time the Asimo made an appearance and did something cool it was a two day pre-programming job and not as spontaneous as they made it out to be. Good to see somethign similar to the robo donkey but in human form.

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,963 posts
  • LocationLondon
Foxconn chairman signs letter of intent for 'intelligent robot kingdom,' we cower in fear

By Christopher Trout
posted Nov 6th 2011 4:36AM

It looks like FRIDA and friends are about ready to get comfy over at Foxconn. Following the company's August announcement that it would infiltrate its ranks with one million robots in the next three years, Focus Taiwan is reporting that the manufacturer's parent company, Hon Hai, is moving forward on its plans to build an "intelligent robotics kingdom" in the Central Taiwan Science Park. Chairman Terry Gou reportedly signed a letter of intent with Taichung mayor Jason Hu last Saturday, confirming its plans to erect a plant dedicated to the production of robots and automation equipment. That robo-mecca is expected to draw some serious scratch, with an estimated production-value boost of NT$120 billion (about $4 billion) and the creation of 2,000 jobs. How many of those positions will be filled by headless automatons remains to be seen.

http://www.engadget....ligent-robot-k/

Posted Image
  • Deadbolt likes this

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow
Good shit :)

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,963 posts
  • LocationLondon
Honda's new Asimo robot can act on its own

Honda has spruced up its humanoid robot, Asimo, giving it the ability to move without being controlled by an operator.

Asimo has been the face of Honda, as you can see from that British commercial, above. It shows the potential for robot technology.

Now, the robot can not only move on its own, but it's been given more intelligence and a greater capability to cope with different situations.

http://content.usato...ct-on-its-own/1

• Caiman, Zeitgeist123, Deadbolt and 1 other like this

Logically Irrational

Logically Irrational

For Lack of a Better Name

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts
  • LocationHoover Dam
^^Those are tough acts to follow. :wink:

A robot that flies like a bird

Markus Fischer and his team at Festo built SmartBird, a large, lightweight robot, modeled on a seagull, that flies by flapping its wings.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,963 posts
  • LocationLondon
AI moves closer with brain chip

A computer chip that mimics brain activity could help scientists advance research into artificial intelligence.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-15772240

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,963 posts
  • LocationLondon
Staying Home: Booming Success With Home Robots And Anticipated Cuts To Military Spending Has iRobot Looking To Shift Priorities

Hard economic times? Don’t tell that to iRobot. The maker of Roomba and Packbot just posted record earnings for the third quarter. Revenue was up 28 percent over the same quarter of 2010, and through September of this year revenue is up 17 percent to $334.7 million. The record numbers “far exceeded” expectations, prompting the company to increase its expected 2011 earnings. At the same time, the rest of us should expect the continued rise in the number of robots in our households to make our lives easier.

Read more -- http://singularityhu...ift-priorities/

Posted Image
  • eacao likes this

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • 6,509 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC
It is now conceivable that one day skycrapers might be built without a human laying a hand on it. Watch a video of these builders dance too!

Edited by Raklian, 01 December 2011 - 07:50 PM.

• Yuli Ban likes this
What are you without the sum of your parts?

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,963 posts
  • LocationLondon
Software That Listens for Lies

She looks as innocuous as Miss Marple, Agatha Christie’s famous detective.

But also like Miss Marple, Julia Hirschberg, a professor of computer science at Columbia University, may spell trouble for a lot of liars.

That’s because Dr. Hirschberg is teaching computers how to spot deception — programming them to parse people’s speech for patterns that gauge whether they are being honest.

For this sort of lie detection, there’s no need to strap anyone into a machine. The person’s speech provides all the cues — loudness, changes in pitch, pauses between words, ums and ahs, nervous laughs and dozens of other tiny signs that can suggest a lie.

Dr. Hirschberg is not the only researcher using algorithms to trawl our utterances for evidence of our inner lives. A small band of linguists, engineers and computer scientists, among others, are busy training computers to recognize hallmarks of what they call emotional speech — talk that reflects deception, anger, friendliness and even flirtation.

Programs that succeed at spotting these submerged emotions may someday have many practical uses: software that suggests when chief executives at public conferences may be straying from the truth; programs at call centers that alert operators to irate customers on the line; or software at computerized matchmaking services that adds descriptives like “friendly” to usual ones like “single” and “female.”

The technology is becoming more accurate as labs share new building blocks, said Dan Jurafsky, a professor at Stanford whose research focuses on the understanding of language by both machines and humans.

Read more -- http://www.nytimes.c...tml?_r=1&src=tp

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,963 posts
  • LocationLondon
Mask-Bot: A Robot With a Human Face

Robotics researchers in Munich have joined forces with Japanese scientists to develop an ingenious technical solution that gives robots a human face. By using a projector to beam the 3D image of a face onto the back of a plastic mask, and a computer to control voice and facial expressions, the researchers have succeeded in creating Mask-bot, a startlingly human-like plastic head. Yet even before this technology is used to give robots of the future a human face, it may well soon be used to create avatars for participants in video conferences.

http://www.scienceda....1107161758.htm

Posted Image

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,963 posts
  • LocationLondon
A new artificial intelligence technique to speed the planning of tasks when resources are limited

Scientists at Universidad Carlos III in Madrid have presented a new technique based on artificial intelligence that can automatically create plans, allowing problems to be solved with much greater speed than current methods provide when resources are limited. This method can be applied in sectors such as logistics, autonomous control of robots, fire extinguishing and online learning.

The researchers have developed a new methodology to solve automated planning problems, an area of AI, especially when there are more objectives than it is possible to achieve in the available time. The idea is to get the system to find, on its own, an ordered sequence of actions that will allow objectives to be reached (in a final stage) given the initial situation and available resources. For example, given a group of trucks and goods, these techniques can use automatic planning to optimize the routes and means of transport, based on timetables and products. The methodology presented by these scientists would, in this case, allow the users to create plans in a situation in which not all the packages can be delivered, as would occur when the time that is needed to perform the task is greater than the time that is available, because of the inadequacy of the available resources. In this case, the system would attempt to find a plan by which the greatest number of goods possible could be delivered, thus minimizing the cost.

Read more: http://www.scienceco...e_limited-84421

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: artificial intelligence, machine learning, deep learning, robots, ASIMO, Singularity, Boston Dynamics, automation, AI, robotics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users