Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

AI & Robotics News and Discussions

• Please log in to reply
872 replies to this topic

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow
Not very detailed article, but one thing come to my mind. I'd say it is more than likely now, that we will achieve ture Artificial Intelligence, BEFORE we finally agree on definitions of intelligence or sentinence or free will (15 years agon Deep Blue won, year ago Watson made his mark). Isn't that crazy thought? :)

Edited by Craven, 30 January 2012 - 04:20 PM.

"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

"Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone."

Logically Irrational

Logically Irrational

For Lack of a Better Name

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts
  • LocationHoover Dam

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

Immortal

Immortal

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
That's impressive !

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,348 posts
  • LocationLondon
I find them quite eerie, in a way. Imagine what they'd be like in 20-30 years, with added weapons...

GNR Rvolution

GNR Rvolution

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • LocationLondon
Yeah, I couldn't help but have the Terminator theme tune running through my head whilst watching that!
All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer.

Logically Irrational

Logically Irrational

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts
  • LocationHoover Dam
Yeah, tommytrojan showed that to me yesterday. I got a terminator vibe from it too.

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,348 posts
  • LocationLondon
'Wall-E'-style robot cleans Devon water tower

A water tower in Devon has been cleaned by a robot which is said to resemble the children's movie character Wall-E.

Panton McLeod used its VR600 to clean the floor of the Branscombe tower in east Devon.

The firm said it was only the third time such a device had been used in England.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...-devon-16881484

Posted Image

Asphorax

Asphorax

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, South Australia
Now they just need to create a life-like Eve... Im going with 40-60 years on this one. Don't hold it against me if it comes sooner or later.. Back to that though, impressive stuff. There's even automatic vacuum cleaners here in Australia, my father ordered one a week ago. So much for using the old maid we had :/.

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • 4,154 posts
  • LocationGloucester, England, October 7th 2025 CE.
Unraveling a Butterfly's Aerial Antics Could Help Builders of Bug-Size Flying Robots

Posted Image

To improve the next generation of insect-size flying machines, Johns Hopkins engineers have been aiming high-speed video cameras at some of the prettiest bugs on the planet. By figuring out how butterflies flutter among flowers with amazing grace and agility, the researchers hope to help small airborne robots mimic these maneuvers.

From http://www.spacedail...Robots_999.html
I want to go ahead of Father Time with a scythe of my own.

H. G. Wells

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • 4,154 posts
Lab creates robot that eats sugary food for fuel - and uses the toilet like a human

Posted Image

They have made robots that talk, walk and speak like humans.

Now researchers have taken another leap forward in android technology - with a robot that eat just like a human and, just like a human, has to visit the toilet.

Read more: http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz1lylXkxko

Edited by Time_Traveller, 10 February 2012 - 11:54 AM.

H. G. Wells

Logically Irrational

Logically Irrational

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts
  • LocationHoover Dam
The Big Robot Questions

http://www.slate.com..._button_toolbar

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • 4,154 posts
New system allows robots to continuously map their environment

Robots could one day navigate through constantly changing surroundings with virtually no input from humans, thanks to a system that allows them to build and continuously update a three-dimensional map of their environment using a low-cost camera such as Microsoft's Kinect.

From http://www.spacedail...onment_999.html

H. G. Wells

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • 4,154 posts
Remote-Control Robots Replace Miners In Oz

To meet the massive demand from China, iron ore mines in Western Australia are becoming automated, with driverless vehicles being operated from hundreds of miles away.

From http://news.sky.com/...rticle/16176686

I think robots will eventually do this kind of thing in mines across the world in the future.

H. G. Wells

Deadbolt

Deadbolt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Interesting. Autonomous mining would set the stage for the whole economy being automated, and as humans take up less and less proportion of "the loop", the point at which we reach a workless, money-less society can be reached. As I've noted before, at first this will cause the cost of living to rise, but automated technologies will take the cost down again when they spread to food production. The technology seems to exist today to achieve automated indoor farming, so if the government put money into this it would ease the burden of food costs being the same while people lose their factory/mining/other jobs to automation. Eventually, this leads to zero cost food, while machine building techniques could make sure there are enough houses for everyone. The trick is to make sure we get automation where it would be most beneficial first, like in food. Otherwise, there may be a backlash against it.

Edited by Deadbolt, 25 February 2012 - 01:39 PM.

NO!

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow
EXTERMINATE! EXCAVATE!
"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,348 posts
  • LocationLondon
Driverless cars can be licensed in Nevada

February 27, 2012

Nevada has become the first state to allow driverless cars to apply for their own drivers’ licenses.

http://www.kurzweila...ensed-in-nevada

CyberMisterBeauty

CyberMisterBeauty

The most beautiful male in the universe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • LocationThe largest city of the year 2192,celebrating my 200th birthday
I like robotics very much,but I think the predictions about androids very pessimistic(ex search year 2150)...

Ps:I hope in the future I will create the sexiest woman ever existed,even sexier than denise milani or anna semenovich or lucy pinder(search on google)

But that's an issue for another topic...

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • 4,154 posts
Humanoid Robot Exhibition Opens Drexel Engineers Week

Drexel's College of Engineering will kick off its National Engineers Week celebration with an unprecedented unveiling of seven adult-size humanoid robots as part of nationwide research collaboration. Following the demonstration, attendees can take photos with the robots, view a robotics competition and meet robotics researchers.

Posted Image

From http://www.spacedail...s_Week_999.html

H. G. Wells

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow
http://www.ted.com/t..._cooperate.html Great talk about quadrocopters from ongoing TED. I especially like that they shown how robot creates map of building and rooms on fly. You can see it at 12:45

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,348 posts
  • LocationLondon
What Makes a Robot Fish Attractive? Robot Fish Moves to the Head of the School

ScienceDaily (Mar. 1, 2012) — Probing the largely unexplored question of what characteristics make a leader among schooling fish, researchers have discovered that by mimicking nature, a robotic fish can transform into a leader of live ones.

http://www.scienceda...20301113345.htm

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users