Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

AI & Robotics News and Discussions

• Please log in to reply
750 replies to this topic

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow

What Makes a Robot Fish Attractive? Robot Fish Moves to the Head of the School

ScienceDaily (Mar. 1, 2012) — Probing the largely unexplored question of what characteristics make a leader among schooling fish, researchers have discovered that by mimicking nature, a robotic fish can transform into a leader of live ones.

http://www.scienceda...20301113345.htm

And now we shall make them our SLAVES
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HoEp-sNGdg

Sorry, just had to. It's fascinating. I remember when in SeaQuest mimicking fish tail was just complete fantasy.

Edited by Craven, 02 March 2012 - 12:56 PM.

"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

"Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone."

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow
Another metal beast from Boston Dynamics.

• GNR Rvolution and Deadbolt like this
"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,945 posts
  • LocationLondon
^ You beat me to it. I've just posted this on the Facebook group.

http://io9.com/58905...mmal-ever-built

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow
We both track Io9.com ;)
Boston Dynamics is years ahead of Honda's Asimo.
  • eacao likes this

Deadbolt

Deadbolt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Amazing... (You just know my ignorant nitpicks are coming after this)

Are its legs supposed to be that way around? Why haven't they copied an actual Cheetah?

Also, will it have moving feet for extra leverage? I mean, it's early days, but even the LS3 (Alpha Dog production model), didn't have actual, movable feet, and used weird looking pads/rockers instead.
NO!

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Members
  • 3,829 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Amazing... (You just know my ignorant nitpicks are coming after this)

Are its legs supposed to be that way around? Why haven't they copied an actual Cheetah?

Also, will it have moving feet for extra leverage? I mean, it's early days, but even the LS3 (Alpha Dog production model), didn't have actual, movable feet, and used weird looking pads/rockers instead.

I thought the robot cheetah was running backwards. :derisive: Looked like it.
What are you without the sum of your parts?

Deadbolt

Deadbolt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Don't get me wrong. I'm impressed. This marks the point at which a legged robot can outrun me. If I can get to 18mph sprinting, I doubt I can maintain that speed for long. This thing 'll keep going until it runs out of petrol...

...and this is just the start. I read elsewhere that the progression schedule was for 20mph by the end of 2012, so it's already exceeding target goals. It could potentially be much faster.

Though if they can get the bipedal robot, Petman, which has the potential to go anywhere a human can, out of the lab, and then they get it to sprint, I really will be scared.

Edited by Deadbolt, 06 March 2012 - 12:54 AM.

NO!

Raklian

Raklian

• Members
  • 3,829 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Don't get me wrong. I'm impressed. This marks the point at which a legged robot can outrun me. If I can get to 18mph sprinting, I doubt I can maintain that speed for long. This thing 'll keep going until it runs out of petrol...

...and this is just the start. I read elsewhere that the progression schedule was for 20mph by the end of 2012, so it's already exceeding target goals. It could potentially be much faster.

Though if they can get the bipedal robot, Petman, which has the potential to go anywhere a human can, out of the lab, and then they get it to sprint, I really will be scared.

Yeah, I'd be quaking in my boots at the sight of companies of Petmen charging toward us at 30 to 45 mph, carrying weapons way too heavy for humans to carry.

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow

Don't be :) One day, once we reach level of mind uploading that Petman may be your "sleeve".

Raklian

Raklian

• Members
  • 3,829 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Don't be :) One day, once we reach level of mind uploading that Petman may be your "sleeve".

I wouldn't be so sure until we figure out a way to protect the electronics from an EMP blast.

Deadbolt

Deadbolt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Actually, deep down, I want robots to wipe out humanity. Not because I'm misanthropic, just because that makes for a pretty cool dramatic turn of events. I'll still be scared when I'm being shredded by cyborg panthers with grinder faces.

Robots and AI entities are our successors. We'd rather become them, but if they do away with us, it's not all bad either. Our children will go on to better things.

Edited by Deadbolt, 06 March 2012 - 06:35 PM.

NO!

Raklian

Raklian

• Members
  • 3,829 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

I'll still be scared when I'm being shredded by cyborg panthers with grinder faces.

You've got an vivid imagination, I'll give you that.

I'm pretty sure someone is gonna come up with something far worse - stuff only nightmares are made of. There is no limit to what robots/machines can do.

Elen

Elen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

I wouldn't be so sure until we figure out a way to protect the electronics from an EMP blast.

Such ways exist already :) Most of the military tech is protected, if you've seen those rugged case laptops they are carrying around for example. Air Force 1 is also build to withstand an EMP, classified technology though :p Conumer electronics don't have such protection because it's thought unnecessary but perhaps by the time of mind uploading it's gonna be available :p

So why the cheetah doesn't extend its legs to full lenght btw?

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,945 posts
  • LocationLondon
ARMARIII Robot learns to wipe tables by watching a human

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • 4,099 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, USA, 1st March 2060 CE
Swimming robots break world distance record in Pacific

Four robots have set a new distance world record, swimming more than 3,200 nautical miles (5,926km) across the Pacific Ocean.

The previous Guinness World Record for the longest distance covered at sea by an unmanned device was 2,500 nautical miles (4,630km).

Posted Image

From http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-17367984
I want to go ahead of Father Time with a scythe of my own.

H. G. Wells

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • 4,099 posts
Robotic jellyfish fuelled by hydrogen invented

Engineers in the US say they have invented a hydrogen-powered robot that moves through water like a jellyfish.

From http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-17444008

Edited by Time_Traveller, 21 March 2012 - 08:47 AM.

• wjfox likes this

H. G. Wells

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • 4,099 posts
Robotic Technology Lends More Than Just a Helping Hand

Posted Image

While Robonaut 2 has been busy testing its technology in microgravity aboard the International Space Station, NASA and General Motors have been working together on the ground to find new ways those technologies can be used.

From http://www.spacedail...g_Hand_999.html

H. G. Wells

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow
IBM's Watson To Be Trained In Cancer

http://www.huffingto..._n_1372426.html

The medical training of IBM's speedy Watson computer will continue with a residency at a renowned Manhattan cancer hospital.
IBM and Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center said Thursday that they will add the latest in oncology research – and the hospital's accumulated experience – to Watson's vast knowledge base, and keep updating it.
The result should help the hospital diagnose and treat cancer more quickly, accurately and personally, they said.
"The capabilities are enormous," said Dr. Larry Norton, deputy chief for breast cancer programs at Sloan-Kettering. "And unlike my medical students, Watson doesn't forget anything."

Raklian

Raklian

• Members
  • 3,829 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

IBM's Watson To Be Trained In Cancer

http://www.huffingto..._n_1372426.html

The medical training of IBM's speedy Watson computer will continue with a residency at a renowned Manhattan cancer hospital.
IBM and Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center said Thursday that they will add the latest in oncology research – and the hospital's accumulated experience – to Watson's vast knowledge base, and keep updating it.
The result should help the hospital diagnose and treat cancer more quickly, accurately and personally, they said.
"The capabilities are enormous," said Dr. Larry Norton, deputy chief for breast cancer programs at Sloan-Kettering. "And unlike my medical students, Watson doesn't forget anything."

So it begins.

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,945 posts
  • LocationLondon
Boston Dynamics' latest robot:

• Craven likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users