Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Confirmed: US planned to nuke the moon

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

Member Since August 23 /2010

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,189 posts
http://rt.com/usa/ne...ar-project-631/

In a secret project recently discovered, the United States planned to blow up the moon with a nuclear bomb in the 1950s as a display of the country’s strength during the Cold War space race.

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,372 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

http://rt.com/usa/ne...ar-project-631/

In a secret project recently discovered, the United States planned to blow up the moon with a nuclear bomb in the 1950s as a display of the country’s strength during the Cold War space race.

And Carl Sagan was involved.
What are you without the sum of your parts?

Logically Irrational

Logically Irrational

For Lack of a Better Name

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts
  • LocationHoover Dam
I'm not sure what they mean by recently discovered though. I remember hearing about this a long time ago. http://www.commondre...s/051400-02.htm I think cracked had an article that included it too. Really awesome (?) plan though, despite the supervillainy of it.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

Matthew

Matthew

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationEugene Oregon
We'd likely need to use thousands of nukes or create some of those 50 megaton ones.

Casey

Casey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
So they planned to blow up the entire moon, not just detonate a bomb on there? ... hahaha. That's hilarious... I think there was an episode in The Tick where Chairface Chippendale tried to do exactly that. And then the sea tides would be forever changed, and there would probably be other catastrophic changes that would screw up the whole world. Great plan, America.

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • 4,372 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

So they planned to blow up the entire moon, not just detonate a bomb on there? ... hahaha. That's hilarious... I think there was an episode in The Tick where Chairface Chippendale tried to do exactly that. And then the sea tides would be forever changed, and there would probably be other catastrophic changes that would screw up the whole world. Great plan, America.

There were so many potential risks with this project that they scrapped it. I wonder how the world would think of the US if it did pull off this stunt on the moon... perhaps something worse than the "vauntedness" of the Soviet Union? Or it would have triggered an arms race more dangerous than we went through. Would the Soviet Union have followed after US by detonating the "Tsar Bomb" on the moon instead of here on Earth?

Edited by Raklian, 27 November 2012 - 03:21 AM.

What are you without the sum of your parts?

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • 11,189 posts
thats all news to me especially the one of Carl Sagan

SG-1

SG-1

Carpe Diem

• Members
  • 3,523 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas
I don't think the U.S. thought they could actually blow up the moon. They probably wanted to make a crater or a visible explosion so the entire world could see an atom bomb go off.

Mark your calendars

Never Yield

MarcZ

MarcZ

Chief Flying Car Critic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • LocationCanada
What on Earth...

CamGoldenGun

CamGoldenGun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • LocationFort McMurray, AB. Canada.

What on Earth...

No, MarcZ, what on the Moon!

UFG

UFG

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
I think we should nuke Mars!

EVanimations

EVanimations

• Members
  • 3,103 posts
  • LocationThe Eldritch Beyond
"...And for phase two of my ingenious world domination plot, I shall retreat to the safety of my giant laser bunker, stationed on the moon, of course! There I can observe the havoc wreaked upon the defenseless Earth as the tides go out of control, flooding the entire planet! And for phase three, I shall carve the likeness of my face onto the continents of the world using my moon-based space station fortress death laser of death! NOTHING CAN STOP ME NOW! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAAAA!!!"

-Carl Sagan, apparently

Edited by EVanimations, 27 November 2012 - 06:23 PM.

• Casey likes this

I make an animated series about time travel and the future of humanity called ExoTemporal Excursion. You'll like it if you're into that sort of thing. I draw too I guess.

Also check out my futuristic robot resource pack for Minecraft, and Thrive, an under-development evolution simulator.

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • 11,189 posts

I think we should nuke Mars!

for trolling reasons

shane_allen

shane_allen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • LocationMinnesotta
Here's a semi-serious question: Could superman really hearl all the nukes we have into the sun and it'd have no effect? I'd like to think no, just because of the shear size of the sun. And with it's distance from earth, assuming a semi-spherical blast aimed at us, I think the radiation would be a fizzle. Right?

Check out /r/futuretimeline and voice you opinion on when various technologies will emerge.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users