Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

New ways to transport Bulk Cargo?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

OrbitalResonance

OrbitalResonance

Cosmic Emperor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts
  • LocationDeep Space
This could be a new way to move bulk container cargo. Heavy lift Zeppelin's could provide ways to transport cargo across land. Is the rebirth of the Zeppelin near?

A California company is working on a new airship design that could solve one of the biggest problems facing buoyancy-aided aircraft — how to control floatworthiness without wasting fuel.

Posted Image

I can imagine new shipping lanes being opened up. Perhaps a few kilometers above land but way below the normal cruising altitude of conventional aircaft. I am sure they could easily retrofit existing airfields to service this new transport industry. The ships could use the standardized cargo containers.

Article: http://www.popsci.co...cargo-zeppelins

We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers. - Carl Sagan

Nom du Clavier

Nom du Clavier

Brain in a body-shaped jar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Location/dev/random
Fringe's gingerverse has certainly renewed my interest in blimps http://www.futuretim...tyle_emoticons/animate/thumbsup.gif
This amount of awesome cannot be from concentrate.

Azevo

Azevo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
I would see something like this being useful for loggers in remote areas perhaps. Other than that, I have questions about its speed and what kind of weight it could handle.

atoblade

atoblade

Time Lord

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
I read about airships coming back to be used to reach hard to access areas the other day: http://uk.io9.com/57...ir-big-comeback

Chronomaster

Chronomaster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
I've honestly been seeing stories about airships like this for the last 15 years or so, I'd be surprised if they ever do go into commercial use- however it would be awesome to see them in the skies.
Counting down...

Caiman

Caiman

Administratus Extremus

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts
  • LocationManchester, England
Given the amount of time airships have been around, I'm really of the opinion that if they could be put into useful service, they would already be doing this. I know there are various different developments which apparently make them more efficient but they'll never move as much bulk cargo as a container ship can by ocean, for instance? Have to agree with Azevo on questioning just how much, and how quickly, these things could move.
~Jon

CamGoldenGun

CamGoldenGun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • LocationFort McMurray, AB. Canada.
Wait until they make Air Cities then we can talk about their usefulness. But I'm with Jon on this one again, Airships would have been utilized far earlier than this if Airplanes couldn't already do this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users