Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Ray Kurzweil to become Google's top engineer

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,190 posts
http://www.theregist...l_joins_google/

wow thats awesome news

Alric

Alric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts
That really is pretty interesting and kind of surprising as well. Google is always up to interesting things and while some say Ray is always over optimistic I am a fan of his predictions for the future, and like staying positive as well. I think it is a good match.

Caiman

Caiman

Funky Duck

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts
  • LocationManchester, England
It's companies like Google with their drive for innovation and, perhaps more importantly, their money, who will help to push the boundaries of our knowledge and technology so it's great to see them embrace someone with the foresight of Kurzweil. I hope he can really help them make meaningful developments and advances.

~Jon

Casey

Casey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
A match made in Heaven. Very happy to see this.

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • 12,190 posts

Now with him on the helm I want to se what happens in the next couple of years.

I hope some of this technology is used for medical progress as well.

shane_allen

shane_allen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • LocationMinnesotta

Does he have the experience to run that big a place? I'm sure the job is mostly over seeing things, paperwork and meetings. He seems stilted in talking so I wonder if his social skills are up to snuff.

I mean, I like his ideas and Google. But I like peanut butter and pizza. Just not together.

We'll see. I'll hold off excitement.

Check out /r/futuretimeline and voice you opinion on when various technologies will emerge.

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • 12,190 posts

I think google couldnt choose any better at this present time

Alric

Alric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts
Does he have the experience to run that big a place? I'm sure the job is mostly over seeing things, paperwork and meetings. He seems stilted in talking so I wonder if his social skills are up to snuff.

I mean, I like his ideas and Google. But I like peanut butter and pizza. Just not together.

We'll see. I'll hold off excitement.

From what I heard he was going to mainly work on projects that involved machine learning and language processing. He has invented a lot of language related stuff for translating printed works to computer to voice, and going back and forth and stuff. Basically a computer being able to recognize language in multiple forms and translating it to other forms. He also help build and run that singularity university I believe, so he obviously has leadership and oversight skills.

In fact I checked that singularity university and google is one of the sponsors for it, so Ray and google has probably worked together in the past and he probably knows some of the people over there. So I think he will do fine.

Kynareth

Kynareth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Ray will sure help them create our future. Even if his predictions are a little off, he can't do any harm, most likely he does something helpful. Looking forward to future Android updates!

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • 22,231 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA
Looking back, I can't overstate how important this was.
RK knows what he's doing. Don't wait for the singularity— bring it about yourself!
All of Google's deep learning breakthroughs make sense.

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 11,538 posts

Wow!

You guys some times bump threads that are a year and a half old?

I really need to remember to be careful in what I write around here. I can see a time when I will be quoted against myself. That could be an interesting challenge.

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • 22,231 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA
Yep

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users