Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Scientists achieve temperature below absolute zero

physics cosmology energy negative temperature

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

StanleyAlexander

StanleyAlexander

Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • LocationBoston, Tomorrow

SCIENTISTS ACHIEVE NEGATIVE TEMPERATURE

Negative temperatures could be used to create heat engines — engines that convert heat energy to mechanical work, such as combustion engines — that are more than 100-percent efficient, something seemingly impossible. Such engines would essentially not only absorb energy from hotter substances, but also colder ones. As such, the work the engine performed could be larger than the energy taken from the hotter substance alone.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.c.../#ixzz2H8kulOxC

From the verge:

http://www.theverge....te-zero-barrier

Edited by StanleyAlexander, 05 January 2013 - 11:08 PM.

• eacao likes this
Humanity's destiny is infinity

MarcZ

MarcZ

Chief Flying Car Critic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts
  • LocationCanada

Weird. 

• eacao likes this

EVanimations

EVanimations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,153 posts
  • LocationThe Eldritch Beyond

Weird indeed. It almost sounds like something that could never be done, like cold fusion... but scientists did it, apparently. I'm guessing the explanation for this has something to do with antimatter.

I was about to point out that FOX Noise isn't actually news, but then I saw you posted another link. So good on you, I guess.

I make an animated series about time travel and the future of humanity called ExoTemporal Excursion. You'll like it if you're into that sort of thing. I draw too I guess.

Also check out my futuristic robot resource pack for Minecraft, and Thrive, an under-development evolution simulator.

SG-1

SG-1

Carpe Vitam

• Members
  • 3,589 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas

Yeah I think I figured it out.

They say that in positive temperatures - hotter values expel energy out into colder ones.  Duh, leave a bowl of hot soup in the cold air and they reach equilibrium because the soup's heat escapes into the environment.

So you have negative temperatures - which always expel energy into positive values.  So they will always loose energy when around any temperature above absolute zero, all the way into infinity.  This does not mean it is any hotter than positive temperatures, it just means they loose energy.

The experiment limited the amount of potential energy, and restricted the amount of kinetic energy of the atoms using lasers.  So they changed something with the atoms to make them attract to each other.  This SOMEHOW changes the way energy is expelled.

So yeah, I won't pretend to know it, but I understand it.  I guess it is the anti-particle equivalent to temperatures.

That loop analogy..SUCKED.  Think of a number line, -10, -5, 0, 5, 10.  There still is nothing colder than 0 because the negatives just explain how energy moves in the system.  You can't have a negative speed or a temperature above infinity - both are paradoxes.

I hope I got that right.

Mark your calendars

Never Yield

FutureLover1999

FutureLover1999

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Quantum statistical anomaly. Calling it negative temperature is just unnecessarily misleading. And the article is terrible, makes some truly ridiculous conclusions with no evidence.

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,295 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow

http://www.scienceda...30104143516.htm - there's nice explanaiton here. Still seems kina like cheating not actually going below absolute zero but it's an interesting concept anyway.

"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

"Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone."

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: physics, cosmology, energy, negative temperature

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users