Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Is it just me or...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

MarcZ

MarcZ

Chief Flying Car Critic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,121 posts
  • LocationCanada

Does American entertainment really suck lately... I have found no interesting series on that I can sit down and enjoy watching, in fact I would never have considered myself a Japanese anime/manga fan but recently I have been finding the only interesting types of programming are those. I think that about 95% of North American movies and TV series are crap these days, with a rare gem like Boardwalk Empire, and last time I find North American comedy funny was probably back with Rat Race and Austin Powers. I find these days I'm watching a lot of Chinese and Japanese media. I will say that some North American video games are still of good quality, but even these are deteriorating or becoming generic and uninspiring.

Sorry for the rant. But what do you guys think about the quality of North American entertainment?

SG-1

SG-1

Carpe Vitam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,565 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas

TV sucks, I use internet in place of that entirely.  I can't remember the last time I sat down and choose something to watch on TV.  I know its been at least 2 years.

Anyway the movies are awesome though, that's about it for entertainment.  More and more of my music is international now too.  American popular music sucks.  I have bands like Seether from Africa, Soilwork from Sweden, Children of Bodom from Finland, Kasabian from the U.K., Three Day's Grace from Canada etc

I haven't really thought much about it.

I know you meant N. America but I don't know what media is like in Canada, I assume its the same?  I just hope you don't get the Disney Channel there.  If there is a God, he wouldn't let it happen.

• Cody930 likes this

Mark your calendars

Never Yield

Cody930

Cody930

An Apple Pie from Scratch

• Moderators
  • 2,065 posts
  • LocationWoodbridge, New Jersey, US
TV sucks, I use internet in place of that entirely.  I can't remember the last time I sat down and choose something to watch on TV.  I know its been at least 2 years.

Anyway the movies are awesome though, that's about it for entertainment.  More and more of my music is international now too.  American popular music sucks.  I have bands like Seether from Africa, Soilwork from Sweden, Children of Bodom from Finland, Kasabian from the U.K., Three Day's Grace from Canada etc

Pretty much this. :p I use the internet for my info; barely hit the tube anymore. Occasionally you get pretty good movies too so I'm not complaining much there. 

Music is a bit different for me though. Modern music I float around a lot but I tend to listen to older music much more so yeah. 

• Italian Ufo likes this

"Since we first emerged, a few million years ago in East Africa, we have meandered our way around the planet. There are now people on every continent and the remotest islands, from pole to pole, from Mount Everest to the Dead Sea, on the ocean bottoms and even, occasionally, in residence 200 miles up - humans, like the gods of old, living in the sky."

EpochSix

EpochSix

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

For me it was just losing interest in how television presents media, after becoming involved in the internet I had no desire to go back to that kind of entertainment, it has probably been at least 4 or 5 years now since I've owned a television. With television you've always been merely a passive observer. You idle in front of the TV set, you have maybe a few hundred channels to choose from (many of which stream generally the same programming), and you consume whatever is available in whatever way it is presented by that company. Most of the content is filtered through highly funded companies with a particular set of motives, all of the content is censored to some extent (you only see what has been approved of by the provider), you can't interact with the content in any meaningful way (no public commenting, no public remixing, no sharing etc), and it's almost always unreasonably priced.

The internet removes all of these limitations on the consumer end and in addition adds the ability to create and distribute your own content on an international scale while still giving you access to the high budget content and mainstream media if you desire it. And thus television is rendered completely obsolete. The only reason (at least as far as I can tell) that people still buy and use televisions as their main source of media consumption is because they are familiar devices that they have been using for most of their lives and either don't want to transition to a new form of consumption or are unaware of what the new form of consumption has to offer.

It has been interesting watching the assimilation of television for the last half decade or so. We have new televisions coming out (Smart TV's and so on) where they've basically become a very large / high resolution computer monitor. Everyone is looking for HDMI cables so they can stream content from their $400 laptop computers to their extremely expensive television sets that they wasted $1500 on. Advertising for televisions no longer boasts new features, it's always about newly compatible services like Netflix which are of course entirely dependent on the internet in the first place. 

North American entertainment doesn't suck, big budget North American entertainment companies suck. They haven't provided anything new or interesting for consumers, their services like Netflix are more of the same in a new package. If we want to see something new, something less typical, something that isn't censored according to somebody else's moral standards, something that isn't restricted from user interaction / remixing / tributes etc, then we need to involve ourselves in the user created content universe that is consuming the internet right now.

The common argument I hear in favour of high budget mainstream content providers is that the user created content universe is completely diluted with low quality content, and that may be true, but it's very easy to circumvent that issue. It's not a quality issue, it's a filtering issue. If you're interested in using the internet as your main source of media consumption you need to know where to find high quality material that interests you and how to filter out all of the shit you don't care about.

With music, I've found the best way to find free high quality content is through netlabels. All of the artists work for free because they simply enjoy creating and sharing music with as many people as possible, the content sent in to netlabels is reviewed by netlabel staff, and then the chosen highest quality content is neatly organized into a freely accessible website with categories for each genre, reviews and descriptions of the music, and several links to stream, download, share, and donate for the content you like. 

With video content it's much easier to find higher quality material through host integrated filtering on websites like YouTube where you can view massive lists of channels organized by viewer rating, view count, genre / category, type of content, etc. If you want content that isn't restricted by YouTube's terms of service (which can be very strict at times) then you can head over to Google and simply search using specific terms that relate to your interests. 

There's so much amazing content out there that will appeal to your interests, but you can't expect it to be delivered to you, especially by companies that are paid to deliver only a specific brand of content, fortunately the process of diving in and looking for it yourself is entertaining in itself.

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

Member Since August 23 /2010

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,335 posts

It is not just an American problem. Even here in Italy tv sucks in modern days. I am glad I  have Sky TV so I can watch all the documentaries I want.

However Since 2009-10 I use more my lap top than tv for my visual entrateinment.

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • 1,939 posts
  • Locationwhere fanciful imaginings and hard won knowledge meet to genesis the future.

about once every month or so I will go out to the TV room turn on the wii connect to the netflix option and watch something. or dig through the dvr, or my vhs collection.

I prefer to read and write to entertain myself. mostly sci-fi or an occasional fantasy. And I read some web fiction and web comics. Watch some ted talks and that pretty much is it. I long since gave up on network TV.

I think the killing blow for me was I had two shows around the same time that I liked. Birds of Prey, and Firefly. They were both killed for some Teen Soap Opera. I quit then and there. Okay mostly, I still would watch some of the Adult Swim (cowboy bebop, trigun, Ghost in the shell Stand alone complex, full metal alchemist, read or die, FLCL) But then they started doing crap like reruns of saved by the bell, and Awesome show or whatever it was. Then the channel moved into a whole new channel package for the cable company. Done, don't miss it.

Discovery channel, tlc, history channel, the science channel; they actually had real programs at one time. Not so much anymore.

I can learn more, enjoy more and be more entertained in ten minutes on the net than I can get from TV even using DVR.

• MarcZ likes this
Live content within small means. Seek elegance rather than luxury, Grace over fashion and wealth over riches.
Listen to clouds and mountains, children and sages. Act bravely, think boldly.
Await occasions, never make haste. Find wonder and awe, by experiencing the everyday.

MarcZ

MarcZ

Chief Flying Car Critic

• Members
  • 2,121 posts
  • LocationCanada

I haven't really thought much about it.

I know you meant N. America but I don't know what media is like in Canada, I assume its the same?  I just hope you don't get the Disney Channel there.  If there is a God, he wouldn't let it happen.

There are some programs that we get here in Canada which are pretty good that I don't think are given in the states such as Just for Laughs Gags and the like, however Canadian entertainment is different in the way that we have a national broadcaster the CBC which gives airtime to specific Canadian programming, some of which is subpar ... (Being Erica and the like) however some of it is really good, for example CBC has some of the highest quality investigative journalism programs such as Marketplace, The Passionate Eye, and DocZone all of which are probably foreign to most Americans (One particular DocZone investigation called "The Men Who Crashed the World" on the 2008 financial collapse was aired on many networks including Al-Jazeera, BBC etc... and was widely acclaimed), in fact Canadians consume and produce so many documentaries it's been suggested it should become Canada's national art form. I used to like American entertainment and find it better quality than Canadian stuff, but as of late I prefer Canadian stuff a lot more, it is more insightful more interesting and entertaining to watch. While I find other Canadians around me still watch some generic stuff on TV, Canadians seem to not be exposed as much to American entertainment as they used to be. Possibly because Canadian programming has gotten better, but more likely American programming has gotten worse. For example a lot of Canadians now watch such shows as Love it or List It, Holmes on Homes, Canadian News (as opposed to the increasingly crappy American networks, even CNN is now less news than just feel good entertainment-marketed crap, and our only Fox News comparison is on the verge of bankruptcy.) , our music too is also becoming more widely listened too, we have many great and high quality musicians that are virtually unknown in the states, had Bieber not made that brief shoutout to Call Me Maybe, that song would probably have never gone mainstream in the states through natural processes. Canada has also been where some of the latest plot intensive video games such as Mass Effect, and Dragonage originate from so I think Canadian quality is really becoming increasingly hardhitting vs the American stuff as of late, of which many of their things I find boring or generic. In fact, I'm quite surprised about how much Canadian content I now choose to consume over American stuff. 

About your comment about Disney Channel, that is not the dominating kids channel up here as that position belongs to YTV, which historically has always imported tons of shows from Japan, or favored Canadian made productions, while I'm not sure what the current line up is, I think it imports more American Disney crap now I always felt it's shows to deal with more complex plot and development than American cartoons, kids that I knew had satellite and primarily watched Disney I found generally acted stupider and less mature than those who watched YTV or Teletoon (the other major Canadian kids network which carried most classic American cartoons such as Bugs Bunny, Scooby Doo and such and a more mature section later at night). Perhaps that is why I am having such an affinity for Japanese cartoons again, because I like the plot they provide and reminds me of the more gripping children's programming I watched when I was younger. (One Piece, Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, Original Digimon, Sailor Moon, Dragon Ball Z, ReBoot etc.. I all consider as more mature kids shows than the likes of Spongebob and some of this newer crap like Adventure Time which I find just leads kids to be stupider.) I also liked the Fox version of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Cardcaptors from Teletoon. Also, thanks to Chinese exchange programs been introduced to Chinese cinema, and I really like it and I really enjoy Chinese/Taiwanese films that have subtitles and been trying to watch a lot of these lately, they put American programming to shame! 

Sorry, it's just my interpretation, it may be wrong.

StanleyAlexander

StanleyAlexander

Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • LocationBoston, Tomorrow

If it weren't for sports, I'd throw my TV out the window.  Love basketball, love american football.

The key difference between the TV and the internet for me (and @Epoch6 I think this is partially why people (esp. americans) not only still buy TV's, but still spend a lot of time watching them) is the passive vs. active thing you mentioned.  People want to be spoon-fed, rather than have to actively control their entertainment.

And it's not all laziness--part of it is the same reason you can put your favorite song on iTunes and go about your business without even listening, but if your favorite song just comes on the radio, it MAKES YOUR FUCKING DAY.

Of course a lot of people will want to be in active control of their entertainment experience (and I imagine many of us on this forum fall into that category), but if people--as an aggregate--have an option not to "drive" when they're trying to chill, they'll take it.

Back on topic, I think the american entertainment industry is stale as shit.  There's too much precedent and prior models and old cronyism and sought-after success stories... hollywood has been on top of the industry for virtually the industry's entire existence.  It isn't going to be able to adapt to the changes of the coming decades; it has the inertia of a century holding it back.

Humanity's destiny is infinity

Cody930

Cody930

An Apple Pie from Scratch

• Moderators
  • 2,065 posts
  • LocationWoodbridge, New Jersey, US
And it's not all laziness--part of it is the same reason you can put your favorite song on iTunes and go about your business without even listening, but if your favorite song just comes on the radio, it MAKES YOUR FUCKING DAY.

^ Partly why I like listening to the radio still. :p 

"Since we first emerged, a few million years ago in East Africa, we have meandered our way around the planet. There are now people on every continent and the remotest islands, from pole to pole, from Mount Everest to the Dead Sea, on the ocean bottoms and even, occasionally, in residence 200 miles up - humans, like the gods of old, living in the sky."

Zeitgeist123

Zeitgeist123

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,381 posts

i dont watch tv anymore for several years  now. this started when the internet connection was able to stream youtube contents without buffers. however, i have dvd copies for sitcoms and tv series like big bang theory, modern family and walking dead. i havent even finished the first season of walking dead. i also realize lately that youtube has lost its sense of community.  which is creepy because i observed that big websites such as youtube and google started personalizing related links and searches based on your views (and without even giving us an option to choose if we want it that way) a few months after the occupy wall street made big headlines around the world.

Edited by Zeitgeist123, 23 February 2013 - 05:53 PM.

The right to be heard does not include the right to be taken seriously...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users