Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

I used Google Glasses

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

IzzyIngleby

IzzyIngleby

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationBristol UK

It may be that app developers shun glass for other similar products where they can make a profit-at which point you've got something that's technically really good, but no interesting software to it's name.

Rkw

Rkw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

That's a bold move, one I like.

I'm not sure their competitors would be intimidated by it though, it basically means fewer apps will be developed for it, I'm not sure what the developers incentive is meant to be?

EDIT: Actually now that I think about it, a less crowded market perhaps gives dev's more chance of getting exposure and publicity, or perhaps it will just be the domain of hobby programmers. Keen to see how this pans out.

Edited by Rkw, 16 April 2013 - 05:43 PM.

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

CY: 2014

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,020 posts
  • LocationMaidstone, UK
Glad that they've opted for a no-ads policy. It would be a nightmare considering just how immersive this technology is.
1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014

Squillimy

Squillimy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Can't wait for google glass. AR will finally start to pick up, the only challenge is the need for better software to make it game-changing. computer hardware is moving fast but software is lagging behind

What becomes of man when the things that man can create are greater than man itself?

razer1994

razer1994

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts
Google glass seems a bit too Orwellian for me.

Brohanne Jahms

Brohanne Jahms

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
Google glass seems a bit too Orwellian for me.

How so?

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,361 posts
  • LocationRome/London

I wonder if there will be an increase of car accidents and injuries  or even of rubbery  because of this technology. I mean Google glasses will distract people a lot. it will be nice to see the impact they will have in society. 

Also are they going to alienate us even more in real life ? 

Rkw

Rkw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
I wonder if there will be an increase of car accidents and injuries  or even of rubbery  because of this technology. I mean Google glasses will distract people a lot. it will be nice to see the impact they will have in society. 

Car accidents, I'm unsure. Logically they should be less distracting than looking down at your phone to access GPS navigation, however since it's hidden to everyone but the user, perhaps people will be idiots and proceed to browse the web while at the wheel. My solution would be that Google implement something like this:

Driving Mode

Upon entering your car, you say "Ok Glass, driving mode". It disables everything except from your GPS (And perhaps your phone).

After you are done driving you can switch it back, re-enabling all your options. It could log when you were in driving mode and when you weren't.

Of course this would all be redundant if the eye-interface was actually a large distraction.

As for alienating us, I don't think so. They can record almost instantly with a 1st person perspective, but it's not like they'll have the memory capacity to record 24/7. You won't see someone with Glass and assume "They're recording everything I do". They've got the potential to put people off of committing crimes or being abusive in public (I assume this is what Razor means by Orwellian), there is probably a downside to this as well, not sure what though.

If the Google+ Hangouts are efficient enough (Will likely depend on geographic location and strength of wireless networks) then they could bring is much closer together. Instead of monitoring my facebook page every few hours, I'll just turn on a hangout and any other friends looking to chat will do the same, we'll be connected via video chat instead of typing text messages to one another hours apart.

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,020 posts
  • LocationMaidstone, UK
I think these glasses will be far more efficient than smartphones, simply due to the fact that they are voice controlled and require no hand movements at all, plus allow you to use apps whilst on the move, and allow you to keep your eye on where you're going. Can see devices of this kind replacing smartphones completely by the end of the decade.
1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014

zen_mutiny

zen_mutiny

Brain-in-a-Box

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • LocationEverywhere and nowhere. At once.
I think these glasses will be far more efficient than smartphones, simply due to the fact that they are voice controlled and require no hand movements at all, plus allow you to use apps whilst on the move, and allow you to keep your eye on where you're going. Can see devices of this kind replacing smartphones completely by the end of the decade.

Just wait till they're thought-controlled. Then you won't have to behave like a total douche in public, giving voice commands and the like.  :cool:

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." 

WithoutCoincidence

WithoutCoincidence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts
  • LocationSomewhere above Zero Latitude.

Yeah, the one major drawback I can think of with this device is every person on the street constantly chattering 'ok glass, ok glass, ok glass'...

Something more powerful than a supernova, more relentless than gravity, and more mysterious than a black hole, is our species when we set our minds to something.

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,020 posts
  • LocationMaidstone, UK
Haha, yes! That would be incredibly awkward if you were in a library or somewhere. I think eyeball-control and eventually thought-control will take over.

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,361 posts
  • LocationRome/London

Car accidents, I'm unsure. Logically they should be less distracting than looking down at your phone to access GPS navigation, however since it's hidden to everyone but the user, perhaps people will be idiots and proceed to browse the web while at the wheel. My solution would be that Google implement something like this:

Driving Mode

Upon entering your car, you say "Ok Glass, driving mode". It disables everything except from your GPS (And perhaps your phone).

After you are done driving you can switch it back, re-enabling all your options. It could log when you were in driving mode and when you weren't.

Of course this would all be redundant if the eye-interface was actually a large distraction.

As for alienating us, I don't think so. They can record almost instantly with a 1st person perspective, but it's not like they'll have the memory capacity to record 24/7. You won't see someone with Glass and assume "They're recording everything I do". They've got the potential to put people off of committing crimes or being abusive in public (I assume this is what Razor means by Orwellian), there is probably a downside to this as well, not sure what though.

If the Google+ Hangouts are efficient enough (Will likely depend on geographic location and strength of wireless networks) then they could bring is much closer together. Instead of monitoring my facebook page every few hours, I'll just turn on a hangout and any other friends looking to chat will do the same, we'll be connected via video chat instead of typing text messages to one another hours apart.

i hope so today there are many idiots who text message with their phone while driving. I wouldnt be surprised if someone does the same with Google glasses.

I also believe that like the phone google glasses will alienate us even more just like cellphone are doing. At easter I was at lunch with my family and all the kids were not talking to each other. they were looking at their iphones...I told to all of them to put these things away...

I mean I grow up between 80s and 90s at that time there weren't all these things.

at the bus stop waiting for the bus, you were speaking with stranger while now everyone is absurd in their iphone.

one could argue that we socialize in different ways, yes but I feel human physical contact is decreasing. This has an effect on my mood but I think also on the ones of others.

razer1994

razer1994

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts
They would be useful while driving. It would allow you to look at the road while having access to all dashboard and cellphone info. However, besides that, I cannot see myself wearing these things everywhere I go, all the time.

zen_mutiny

zen_mutiny

Brain-in-a-Box

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • LocationEverywhere and nowhere. At once.
Haha, yes! That would be incredibly awkward if you were in a library or somewhere. I think eyeball-control and eventually thought-control will take over.

Thought control is a lot closer than we think:

Electronic Tattoos

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." 

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,020 posts
  • LocationMaidstone, UK
Maybe it will be common by the end of the century! It's amazing how many technologies we consider 'futuristic' are actually just around the corner.

EVanimations

EVanimations

Creator of Things

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,490 posts
  • LocationThe Eldritch Beyond

Google Glass has already been jailbroken.

Apparently it has some pretty poor security.

I make an animated series about time travel and the future of humanity called ExoTemporal Excursion. You'll like it if you're into that sort of thing. I draw too I guess.

Also check out my futuristic robot resource pack for Minecraft, and Thrive, an under-development evolution simulator.

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,183 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow

Good. That's why they do this early tests. They should now hire this guy.

"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

"Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone."

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,020 posts
  • LocationMaidstone, UK
Hopefully this means that by the time they're released at the end of the year, they'll be very secure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users