Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Cryogenic Stasis?

cryogenic stasis sleep future time travel

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

yeveat

yeveat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Do you believe in it? Do you think that it is possible?

I read somewhere that freezing isnt the problem but the reanimation part is with the current technology...

Personally, I think it would be cool if it is possible. For me, its not because i dont want to die nor age, but rather I would be very curious to know about the future of our planet.

What do you think?

Practical Mind

Practical Mind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • LocationAustralia
You're not the only one. Yes, you are correct. There is a couple of companies providing cryogenic services, the biggest is called Alcor, and located in Scottsdale, AZ. The biggest one has only hundreds of customers, so you can see that the industry is not booming. The reason is exactly like you said: they know how to preserve, but don't know how to revive. They preserve either the entire body, or just the head. The blood is drained, so the crystals won't rupture the vessels, and the body is stored in a special solution (not just ice). They say that the first "patients" preserved in 1970s (I think) are the most difficult to revive, because back then it was less a procedure and more an experiment. As for how many people are considering this, and how it's done. I was hanging out with a fascinating character a few years ago, who used to be a big wig in the computer industry. He knew many of the AI / CS greats like Marvin Minsky, Ray Kurzweil, etc. personally. According to him, many of the Silicon Valley demigods are actually their customers. He also mentioned Michael Jackson (it was in 2008). Supposedly these folks wear a special bracelet which instructs the medical personnel in case of their death to transport them to Arizona. The fascination with the future progress (which I share as well) seems to be common among the techie entrepreneurs. You may have heard of the recent announcement that Sergey Brin and Mark Zuckerberg are donating serious amount to the life extension research. I think Peter Thiel was also involved somehow. I am more inclined to wait for the stem cell research.

Edited by Practical Mind, 07 March 2013 - 09:36 AM.

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow

I'd say reanimation is not the problem, freezing is. After all we reanimate dead people all the time in hospitals. There's also this:

http://en.wikipedia...._clinical_death

You just need to kick start heart and breathing. Thing is to preserve brain, to freeze it so that no tissues are destroyed by water crystals.

"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

"Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone."

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,190 posts

It is better to  try cryonics rather then decompose. Further studies are needed  but   if I was 90 and about to die I would defently try to be cryopreserved. at least i have some hope. I hope they will re-animate a mammel in the years to come so credibility about cryonics will be revived. Today  cryonics is still seen as science fiction.

Practical Mind

Practical Mind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • LocationAustralia
@Craven: it's a bit different for the cryogenics. There is no water ice in these solutions, but it's no longer just clinical death (not to mention that reviving a separated head is not the same as resuscitation). @Italian Ufo: A sound logic, that's what is driving people to the cryogenics. BTW, these services are not for the rich only. From what I heard, it costs slightly more than a funeral. I wouldn't go there myself though, I'm worried about the process harming something permanently in the brain, etc.

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas
@Craven: it's a bit different for the cryogenics. There is no water ice in these solutions, but it's no longer just clinical death (not to mention that reviving a separated head is not the same as resuscitation). @Italian Ufo: A sound logic, that's what is driving people to the cryogenics. BTW, these services are not for the rich only. From what I heard, it costs slightly more than a funeral. I wouldn't go there myself though, I'm worried about the process harming something permanently in the brain, etc.

If I was dying I'd do it.  Dirt messes your brain up more than cryogenics.

Hey.  Stop reading.  The post is over.

Practical Mind

Practical Mind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • LocationAustralia
Not sure about the dirt, but great point about dying.

Alric

Alric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Chances of being revived after your brain has decomposed are astronomically small. It would require finding a copy of your brain in an alternative dimension, or time traveling back in time to get a profile of your brain or something insanely complex and extremely unlikely. Basically you would say if your brain decomposes there is a 0% chance of you surviving.

If your brain is intact though, there are a lot of ways to revive you. We don't have the technology but there are a lot of options. You could transfer the memories from the brain into a computer, use nanobots to repair it, find ways to chemically reverse the damage, hook up the brain to a robot body. We don't have the technology for this stuff yet but most people believe we will have the technology in the future. 

To me it just seems logical to try it. If you are dying from a disease and they said you will die in 5 minutes but there is a drug that might cure you, wouldn't you take the drug? Even if it is like a 1% chance, it is better than dying.

Though I personally think that it is nearly 100% certain we will be able to undo all the damage in the future. I really don't think there is any danger of us not being able to revive you due to the lack of technology. I think the real risks come from political issues that make it illegal, or the business going bankrupt, and things similar to that. In other words, something might occur that disrupts your stasis in which case you might fail to be revive but if it doesn't get disrupted I think it is just a matter of time before you are back.

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,190 posts

One of our aims  in the longevity international organization is to open new cryonics centers around the world.

so far only the US and Russia have some.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cryogenic, stasis, sleep, future, time travel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users