Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Biology & Medicine News and Discussions

Skin Cells Brain Cells Antibiotics WHO biotechnology genetic engineering bioprinting cancer evolution transhumanism

• Please log in to reply
3389 replies to this topic

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow
Is this part of occupy stuff? Without patents 1% of corporation owners can't make their bazzilions of dollars on those stem cell therapies.
"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

"Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone."

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,961 posts
  • LocationLondon
Malaria vaccine trial raises hope

A malaria vaccine has shown promising results in a clinical trial in Africa.

Infants given the prototype vaccine had about half the risk of getting malaria compared with those who did not receive the jab, say researchers.

The vaccine, known as RTS,S, is one of two experimental malaria vaccines being tested around the world.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...health-15358554

mic of orion

mic of orion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
  • Locationlondon
not really a news, but it deals with some interesting issues,,,
It's dangerous to be right, when your government is wrong.
They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Waterboy2go

Waterboy2go

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
'We can live to 150 and stay healthy': Professor says first 'wonder drugs' could be ready this decade

Drugs that can slow the ageing process are likely to be available this decade, raising the prospect of people living to 150 or longer.
'Wonder' pills that help the body repair itself are in the early stages of development and will help us live well into our second century - while stem cell therapies will boost our quality of life.

http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz1bHEfBpzV
  • wjfox, mic of orion, ShallowLeaf and 1 other like this

The checks and balances of democratic governments were invented because human beings themselves realized how unfit they were to govern themselves. They needed a system.

mic of orion

mic of orion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
  • Locationlondon

'We can live to 150 and stay healthy': Professor says first 'wonder drugs' could be ready this decade

Drugs that can slow the ageing process are likely to be available this decade, raising the prospect of people living to 150 or longer.
'Wonder' pills that help the body repair itself are in the early stages of development and will help us live well into our second century - while stem cell therapies will boost our quality of life.

http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz1bHEfBpzV

brilliant stuff, I am indeed looking forward to that one, I like to live to be 10000 :D
They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Caiman

Caiman

Administratus Extremus

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts
  • LocationManchester, England
^Living healthily to 150 in our current economy would be an absolute burden though, right? Imagine the stagnation of management that didn’t change for decades, heck... imagine having to work for over a hundred years? When this does start to happen, it’s going to be real interesting to see how culture revolutionises along with it.
~Jon

mic of orion

mic of orion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
  • Locationlondon
I'd do 5 different professions, each job lasting 20-25 years, well why not 50 years and living to ripe old 300 :D 50x5 = 250+30 eduction+ 20-40 years retirement (live to 320)

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,961 posts
  • LocationLondon
Mobile phone brain cancer link rejected

Further research has been published suggesting there is no link between mobile phones and brain cancer.

The risk mobiles present has been much debated over the past 20 years as use of the phones has soared.

The latest study led by the Institute of Cancer Epidemiology in Denmark looked at more than 350,000 people with mobile phones over an 18-year period.

Read more -- http://www.bbc.co.uk...health-15387297

themethod

themethod

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

^Living healthily to 150 in our current economy would be an absolute burden though, right? Imagine the stagnation of management that didn’t change for decades, heck... imagine having to work for over a hundred years? When this does start to happen, it’s going to be real interesting to see how culture revolutionises along with it.

I see people constantly raising similar points. Apparently they forget that they won't be obligated to partake in these aging treatments. If you think that wouldn't be able to cope with the "burdens" of an extended life, just don't take part in the treatments.

Caiman

Caiman

Administratus Extremus

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts
  • LocationManchester, England

I see people constantly raising similar points. Apparently they forget that they won't be obligated to partake in these aging treatments. If you think that wouldn't be able to cope with the "burdens" of an extended life, just don't take part in the treatments.

In reality, it won’t work like that though will it. We will get to a point where anti-aging is just another medical procedure like the countless other medicines that most people partake in which allow them to live to current life expectancy levels. Even if people do elect to ‘die young’ when people around them are living for three times longer, you don’t think their lives are going to be affected by said individuals? If 9 out of 10 people do choose anti-aging therapy or other life extension technologies which mean they can work well into their hundreds, that’s going to affect turnover, for instance. There are a lot of consequences we DO have to consider as this comes about, simply choosing not to do it yourself won’t mean it doesn’t have an impact on your life.
~Jon

Roh234

Roh234

Capitalism is the only way to survive.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
  • Location11 Dimentional Hyperspace
^That's why I feel medical advances are going to revolutionize lifestlyes. Its like asking one the 100+ year old people and if they ever expected to live this long. Society will change if lifestlyes are changed. By the time we achieve 300 year+ lifetimes or immortality our society will be fundamentally changed. No one is the 1800s will think about of current way of life, consumerism,abilty to commute further and faster. I cannot not accuratly give a description of society in the future as your guess is probably good as mine. As we progress from a tangable economy to an intangable economy. The value of money will be different and hopefully be more responsible. It will be based on your ideas to society. With such a system we can see any kind of social security abolished since people would just need to think an idea for currency. This will be possible with robotics exponentally rduce the costs of every day objects where manual work will be obselete. With people needing to provide ideas for humanity compunded with neural impants it will truly be a singularity. I predict by 2080-2090 we will face 500 years of progress at a year 2000 rate.

What is true, just, and beautiful is not determined by popular vote. The masses everywhere are ignorant, short-sighted, motivated by envy, and easy to fool. Democratic politicians must appeal to these masses in order to be elected. Whoever is the best demagogue will win. Almost by necessity, then, democracy will lead to the perversion of truth, justice and beauty. -Hans Hermann Hoppe

Roh234

Roh234

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
Adam Savage explores the breakthroughs in Discovery series, Curosity: Can we live for ever?

http://www.videobb.c...?v=OhRB0iZ1xeEk

What is true, just, and beautiful is not determined by popular vote. The masses everywhere are ignorant, short-sighted, motivated by envy, and easy to fool. Democratic politicians must appeal to these masses in order to be elected. Whoever is the best demagogue will win. Almost by necessity, then, democracy will lead to the perversion of truth, justice and beauty. -Hans Hermann Hoppe

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • 6,064 posts
  • LocationRepublic of Jordan, 1 January 3025 C.E.
Lung cancer vaccine shows promise

Posted Image

A vaccine which triggers the immune system to attack the most common type of lung cancer has shown promise in early clinical trials, say researchers.

From http://www.bbc.co.uk...health-15401739
I want to go ahead of Father Time with a scythe of my own.

H. G. Wells

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,961 posts
  • LocationLondon
India 'close to wiping out polio'

India has "never been closer" to wiping out polio, India's health minister has declared as he marked World Polio Day.

There have been no new cases for more than nine months, making it the longest polio-free period since the global eradication campaign was launched.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...h-asia-15425852

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,961 posts
  • LocationLondon

Prolite

Prolite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
Uploading to a cybernetic body? yeah, okay... Not this century.
I'm a business man, that's all you need to know about me.

Roh234

Roh234

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
Genome sequencing costs $5000 per genome and $4000 per genome in bulk (in orders of 50 or more).

http://www.bio-itwor...lar-genome.html

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow
Great. I guess I'll get it for myself in few years.
"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow
http://www.ted.com/t...r_research.html

How does cancer know it's cancer? At Jay Bradner's lab, they found a molecule that might hold the answer, JQ1 -- and instead of patenting JQ1, they published their findings and mailed samples to 40 other labs to work on. An inspiring look at the open-source future of medical research.

• eacao likes this

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,961 posts
  • LocationLondon
Gene therapy used in a bid to save a man's sight

Researchers in Oxford have treated a man with an advanced gene therapy technique to prevent him from losing his sight.

It is the first time that anyone has tried to correct a genetic defect in the light-sensing cells that line the back of the eye.

The president of the Academy of Medical Sciences said the widespread use of gene therapy of this treatment will be soon be possible.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...health-15446912

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Skin Cells, Brain Cells, Antibiotics, WHO, biotechnology, genetic engineering, bioprinting, cancer, evolution, transhumanism

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users