Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

so what will you do in virtual reality?

• Please log in to reply
190 replies to this topic

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,685 posts
I predict that after virtual reality has been invented, though, it would eventually be developed so that you could control it with your mind. I've always imagined that later virtual reality would be like a kind of flotation tank that you can get inside and you're living your perfect life by what your mind desires.

Rkw

Rkw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

To begin with, play games like everyone else. Wage war on my friends for laughs, fight alongside my friends in some VR DnD for more laughs, explore amazing virtual worlds with my girlfriend and if she's not around I guess I'll have to settle for banging my virtual fuck buddy.

When it get's really advanced? Basically anything I want, live out every daydream fantasy I've ever had.

---------

Here's a scary thought, maybe I'd get bored of the lack of challenge or difference between virtual worlds and I'd put myself into a long lived challenging "game", temporarily blanking my current memories for full immersion. Say some time towards the start of the 21st century as a middle class white male?

José Andrade

José Andrade

Anime fans, talk with me!!!

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • LocationPortugal

I could read this topic and everyone ideas the whole day. Too bad, we don't have a huge community already so the threads are more active. We are growing tho.

To add to my previous post. I would love some "worlds" of VR to be in an anime style, you know, like DBZ, Naruto, One Piece. Do you guys think it's possible? Animated worlds instead realistic ones?

"In this world, a single blade can take you anywhere you want to go. It's a virtual world, but i still feel more alive here than i do in the real one." Kirito - Sword Art Online

Guyverman1990

Guyverman1990

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
Use it as a refuge for this miserable reality.

Colonel O'Neil

Colonel O'Neil

From Time Immemorial...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK
A lot of you is talking about creating your ideals worlds in fivr, but take this into consideration: if you want to create your ideal world you will have to know a lot about programming, because a lot of fantasies of yours involves people from the past, customized exo-planets, sexual fantasy, body morphing, etc.

Dont take me wrong, full inmersive virtual reality and mind upload is what i really expect to have in my lifespan, but creating your customized content will require a skill that esentially,  will need you to become a really good programmer.

why? If the singularity does happen, wont we merge with machines? I think job labels that are the norm today wont be around by the time of the singularity. Anyone will be able to do whatever they want. Want to be a programmer? Download the necessary information and go from there.

In any case if we have some form of AI by then, we could just tell it what we want it to do! e.g. take me into the universe of Mass Effect, or I want to live as Superman in Smallville etc...

I think your comment is only valid if VR comes about in the absence of any other change (social or otherwise) and as a fellow futurist I know you know that's not the case

The art of forgetting is inherent in human minds; the art of being forgotten  is the normal fate of knowing. We as futurists don't accept that. In the panels of the Universe, we alone will remain standing; remain unforgotten.

Rkw

Rkw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Software is evolving, all the different platforms and languages weren't made for shits and giggles, they were made so that we could more easily achieve our software goals. So in the future I think there will be a big market for programmes tailored to let your average kid easily write his own games/programmes.

Combine this with what Colonel said about enhancing ourselves through machines and it wouldn't be impossible for your average citizen to create their own ideal VR hideaway. If not perhaps utilising AI and "standard" settings will allow us to generate landscapes (Albeit less unique).

Think of it like generating a map in a current game, you'd specify some constraints like size, climate, genre, physics and then you can go on to pinpointing the specifics like NPC's and finer details. By the time this technology comes around I seriously doubt to enjoy a more custom VR experience you'll be slaving over lines of code (I seriously hope not anyway).

Thaizasaskand

Thaizasaskand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts
  • LocationSnodland, Kent, UK
A lot of you is talking about creating your ideals worlds in fivr, but take this into consideration: if you want to create your ideal world you will have to know a lot about programming, because a lot of fantasies of yours involves people from the past, customized exo-planets, sexual fantasy, body morphing, etc.

Dont take me wrong, full inmersive virtual reality and mind upload is what i really expect to have in my lifespan, but creating your customized content will require a skill that esentially,  will need you to become a really good programmer.

This will be a big barrier to VR being 'full immersion'; I'm glad that somebody mentioned this.

Creating my own content is why I started learning programming and, while, as others have mentioned, somebody may come up with a 'world-builder' or such, a lot will need to be done. Programming a piece of software with 2D graphics, basic physics etc. is a challenge to learn as it is, let alone creating  piece of software that streams extremely realistic environments to the brain and then sends massive amounts of information back to a computer (especially eliminating every bug, as it will be FAR more important to have (an) error-free piece(s) of software than with a piece of software like Microsoft Office (as otherwise it wouldn't be 'full immersion' if you notice, for example, that the grass on the hill in front of you is appearing and dis-appearing randomly. What would be even worse is if nano-robots traveling around the brain (assuming that this is how it works) accidentally sent the wrong information to the brain and the brain recording it)).

Sorry if the grammar is poor - I am trying not to fall asleep at the moment.

Edited by Thaizasaskand, 12 April 2013 - 12:49 PM.

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
In earlier versions of VR, they will probably try to make money by selling "experiences" for it. Later on, you will probably be able to create it with your mind alone.

VRMMORPG

VRMMORPG

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Yea future, I apologize if I didnt explain myself correctly, i meant that in my lifespan ( if ectasy doesnt develop) i wouldnt be able to see full inmersive virtual reality created by the mind.

Colonel O'Neil

Colonel O'Neil

From Time Immemorial...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK
In earlier versions of VR, they will probably try to make money by selling "experiences" for it. Later on, you will probably be able to create it with your mind alone.

Do you think that it will be expensive? For example games now cost up to £40 ($60). And with each new generation they seem to cost more.

Do you think that trend is going to increase right up to VR?

The art of forgetting is inherent in human minds; the art of being forgotten  is the normal fate of knowing. We as futurists don't accept that. In the panels of the Universe, we alone will remain standing; remain unforgotten.

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
I'd imagine it probably would be more expensive, yes. As "video games" would be fully immersive experience.

Rkw

Rkw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

More expensive probably, but still affordable I'd hope. Unless there was a massive market shift between now and then (VR will get introduced sequentially over time, so I doubt that will happen so long as virtual media maintains it's place in the market).

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
I would imagine that they would still be affordable so that they have a huge market.

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,190 posts

I want to be a killerwhale from home. Maybe create an hologram in the ocean that other fishes will percieve as real and that it can be touchble. I will use the wale by sitting at home while my brain has a full immersion in the ocean. i will start to Swim from Rome and then move towards other killer whales in the atlantic or pacific oceans. live like them for a year, and i will also hunt, provoke other fishes but i will avoid sex. i will live with the pods and explore marine life.

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Full immersion VR already exists.

http://www.jrmooneyham.com/playg.html

That being said, I'd probably not use the artificial one because I would get addicted to easily (and the whole "fear of not returning" thing). Lucid dreaming I might do occasionally.

What difference does it make?

WithoutCoincidence

WithoutCoincidence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts
  • LocationSomewhere above Zero Latitude.

Lucid dreaming is VERY difficult for most. Speaking from experience, it takes months, to even years. At my best, I could only get AT BEST one Lucid every month. Though, I suppose if you're dedicated enough...

Edited by WithoutCoincidence, 14 April 2013 - 04:00 AM.

The universe has gone from unimaginable, featureless heat to complexity and it will return in time to unimaginable, featureless cold.

-Chris Impey, How It Ends

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois
Lucid dreaming is VERY difficult for most. Speaking from experience, it takes months, to even years. At my best, I could only get AT BEST one Lucid every month. Though, I suppose if you're dedicated enough...

Right. But it is possible.

What difference does it make?

razer1994

razer1994

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Right. But it is possible.

I lucid dream all the time.

Colonel O'Neil

Colonel O'Neil

From Time Immemorial...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Lucid dreaming is not as hard as you may expect it to be. There are techniques that you can use to achieve it such as WILD. However it is hardly a substitute for VR.

And whilst I said that it was not as hard as you might expect, it's still hard, not least because good instructions on how to achieve it are few and far between.

In any case REM sleep lasts only about 90 minutes and it is very hard even to achieve 1 hour in lucid dream. It's not as if you can dream for 8 hours a night. It doesn't work like that.

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
I have never had a lucid dream. Maybe hypnotherapy or something would help if you wanted to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users