Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

so what will you do in virtual reality?

• Please log in to reply
190 replies to this topic

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois
I have never had a lucid dream. Maybe hypnotherapy or something would help if you wanted to.
I had a pseudo-lucid dream where I remembered to pinch myself to tell myself I was in a dream. I say "pseudo-lucid" because the dream proceeded as it normally would have after I pinched myself.

What difference does it make?

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
That's interesting. So were you in control of the dream after you pinched yourself, or do you mean that the dream went on like it was no longer lucid?

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois
That's interesting. So were you in control of the dream after you pinched yourself, or do you mean that the dream went on like it was no longer lucid?

Went on like it was no longer lucid.

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
Did you still know that it was a dream, or did you just no longer have control?

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois
Did you still know that it was a dream, or did you just no longer have control?

I knew it was a dream when I pinched myself but I didn't have control of the dream or my actions after that. Weird...

Edited by Ru1138, 14 April 2013 - 08:31 PM.

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
I guess that was a very similar experience to being in a VR movie, then. (And I do believe that VR movies will be released in the future.) You can just sit back and enjoy the show, knowing that you are in no real danger, but not knowing what's going to happen next.
  • Ru1138 likes this

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois
I guess that was a very similar experience to being in a VR movie, then. (And I do believe that VR movies will be released in the future.) You can just sit back and enjoy the show, knowing that you are in no real danger, but not knowing what's going to happen next.

Yeah. It's quite interesting.

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
I've had another thought recently. Wouldn't it be great if at some point in the future, when brain chips have been invented, that they could sell pre-programmed dreams for people to experience when they fall asleep, and doctors could prescribe therapeutic dreams for people with mental conditions.

TransAustin

TransAustin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

GTA!

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts

GTA!

One begs thy pardon?

Zeitgeist123

Zeitgeist123

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts

i would

-re-live the 90's

-be a hobbit of the shire

-be a puma-shifting night elf of the warcraft world

Edited by Zeitgeist123, 26 April 2013 - 09:44 PM.

“Philosophy is a pretty toy if one indulges in it with moderation at the right time of life. But if one pursues it further than one should, it is absolute ruin." - Callicles to Socrates

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts

GTA!

Wait... I think I understand what you mean now, you mean you would recreate the game Grand Theft Auto? My god, that would be amazing!Something else I would do would be go around and set fire to buildings and just watch them burn. Just light up massive skyscrapers, take a seat, and watch the fire spread. And go around a city with a sledgehammer destroying stuff for fun. Destruction is too fun! XDAlso I'd try some crazy shit like firing myself at 1,000,000mph and jumping from tall skyscrapers. ;)

Rkw

Rkw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
i would

-re-live the 90's

-be a hobbit of the shire

-be a puma-shifting night elf of the warcraft world

I had a weird thought the other day. 

What if this is VR and I'm only in it because the real me thought it'd be interesting to experience the turn of the 21st century from my perspective?

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts

i would-re-live the 90's-be a hobbit of the shire-be a puma-shifting night elf of the warcraft world

I had a weird thought the other day. What if this is VR and I'm only in it because the real me thought it'd be interesting to experience the turn of the 21st century from my perspective?

Trust me, it's not. Unfortuantely I can't prove it to you, because I can't prove to you that I'm not virtual, but believe me I'm not! ;)

zen_mutiny

zen_mutiny

Post-Singularitarian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • LocationIndiana, United States

Hopefully, create worlds. And then, muck around in them. And invite others to muck around in them.

VRMMORPG

VRMMORPG

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

I would play god, i would be the catholic god, and scaring people to go to hell if they dont do what i want!.

LadyGagaIsHot

LadyGagaIsHot

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
hhave sex with lady gaga
  • ddmkm122 likes this

Thaizasaskand

Thaizasaskand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

I'd actually love to be a child again for a bit, just to see what it is like again. Maybe I would try that in VR.

Will Brawner

Will Brawner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
That won't because war is not a game. 

Countries wouldn't say "Oh, darn.  I lost the game, I guess I will have to comprimise because I value human life!"

They would say, "A game?  Ok you play the game and I'll just send in my drones, bombs and soldiers"

War isn't going to be safe, ever.  We may send robots to fight in wars, but ultimately it will always resort to a battle to the death if the stakes are high.

The sad truth. I can see future wars being a lot more computerized, maybe with fewer casualties, but people will still die in combat. At least on the losing side. It all depends on the ruthlessness of the enemy. Will they disable your computers and then ask you politely to surrender? Or will they just go on dropping bombs?

That being said, I don't know much about war or strategy. It would definitely be something I'd like to study in VR. Soldiers could definitely train in VR using "real" rifles, grenades, tanks, plus whatever other weapons they invent. In VR, soldiers will "die" and then wake up from the dream. Once back in the real world, they'll be harshly lectured on how they messed up and got themselves killed. Or perhaps they'll be honored for their virtual courage. Anyway, that's how future training might work. There are bound to be some problems with it, but the military might give it a try.

As for what I, personally, would do in VR, I'd have to agree that creating a civilization would be incredibly fun. With a couple of friends, we could start up the most epic strategy game ever. Build a nation from scratch and then actually talk to the characters you've created.

I certainly hope that some degree of awesome VR will develop in my lifetime. As long as I get enough non-virtual exercise and drive safely, I might live until 2070!

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,190 posts

I want also to ride racing cars with just one wheel who go 3 times faster than modern formula 1 cars.

• Zeitgeist123 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users