Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

PyeongChang 2018 Winter Olympics

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,064 posts
  • LocationRepublic of Jordan, 1 January 3025 C.E.

Pyeongchang has been chosen to host the 2018 Winter Olympics.

From BBC

I don't believe this will be the first asian city to host the Winter Olympics and I was wondering where they are going to get the snow from http://www.futuretim...tyle_emoticons/animate/thumbup.gif , What do members think and should be put on the timeline.
I want to go ahead of Father Time with a scythe of my own.

H. G. Wells

Nick1984

Nick1984

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts
Quite alot of snow in Korea during the winter you know.

Posted Image

Innsertnamehere

Innsertnamehere

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
The question is whether north Korea will survive until 2018, and how many international visitors will be allowed In to see it.

Shimmy

Shimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

The question is whether north Korea will survive until 2018, and how many international visitors will be allowed In to see it.

it's in south korea
  • Caiman, wjfox, Yuli Ban and 1 other like this

OrbitalResonance

OrbitalResonance

Cosmic Emperor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts
  • LocationDeep Space
this has been a front runner for a few years and truly deserves it

We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers. - Carl Sagan

Innsertnamehere

Innsertnamehere

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
Crap, pyeongchang, pyeongyang, same thing xD

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,064 posts
  • LocationRepublic of Jordan, 1 January 3025 C.E.

Posted Image

Ah didn't know that Nick, i now know there is snow.
I want to go ahead of Father Time with a scythe of my own.

H. G. Wells

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,133 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Wow, I completely forgot about this one. Considering that the Rio Olympics of 2016 are gonna go down in history as a mindless flustercuck and the Tokyo 2020 Olympics are going to be recreating AKIRA, I can safely say that absolutely everyone forgot about the Pyeongchang 2018 Olympics. I wouldn't be surprised if the South Koreans themselves forgot. 

Nevertheless, I think it's going to be a fine recovery from this year's nightmare and a beautiful preview of what Tokyo's going to have to offer. In other words: perfection. Not crappy, but not too futuristic either.

To put it another way

2016 Rio Olympics: Raw bubbling bile where everything that can go wrong will go wrong, all at once, repeatedly

2018 Pyeongchang Olympics: An otherwise normal Olympic games, the way it was meant to be

2020 ネオ東京 Olympics: First since WWIII, and will be a cyberpunk World Fair.  テツオ!!

Nobody's gonna take my drone, I'm gonna fly miles far too high!
Nobody gonna beat my drone, it's gonna shoot into the sky!

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,133 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Counting down to the PyeongChang 2018 Winter Olympics

The closing ceremony of an Olympic Games can be a sombre occasion for sport fans. It heralds the end of two weeks of excellent TV programming, and the return to mindless channel surfing through reality shows. For skiers and snowboarders, the recent closing ceremony in Rio started countdown clocks ticking until the next Winter Olympics in PyeongChang 2018. While you’re waiting, check out this short guide on what you can look forward to.

summary2.jpg?version=1&modificationDate=

Here's a fun fact!

The Olympics won't be held in the West again for another 8 years. Or, more accurately, every Olympic games from now until 2022 will be held in East Asia. 2018 will be in South Korea; 2020 will be in Japan; 2022 will be in China.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,133 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

pyongchang.jpg

Damn that picture's minuscule.

Here's a better one (after six goddamn years)

76cWRWC.jpg

BasilBerylium

BasilBerylium

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts
  • LocationArgentina

2016 Rio Olympics: Raw bubbling bile where everything that can go wrong will go wrong, all at once, repeatedly

7-1

Edited by Yuli Ban, 24 June 2017 - 09:07 PM.
Edited to remove unnecessary spoiler tags

• Yuli Ban likes this

Pisiu369

Pisiu369

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Wow, I completely forgot about this one. Considering that the Rio Olympics of 2016 are gonna go down in history as a mindless flustercuck and the Tokyo 2020 Olympics are going to be recreating AKIRA, I can safely say that absolutely everyone forgot about the Pyeongchang 2018 Olympics. I wouldn't be surprised if the South Koreans themselves forgot. 

Nevertheless, I think it's going to be a fine recovery from this year's nightmare and a beautiful preview of what Tokyo's going to have to offer. In other words: perfection. Not crappy, but not too futuristic either.

To put it another way

2018 Pyeongchang Olympics: An otherwise normal Olympic games, the way it was meant to be

2020 ネオ東京 Olympics: First since WWIII, and will be a cyberpunk World Fair.  テツオ!!

You mean cringy 2020 cyberpunk anime holograms and anime weeabo gaming festival Olympics?

BasilBerylium

BasilBerylium

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts
  • LocationArgentina

To put it another way

You mean cringy 2020 cyberpunk anime holograms and anime weeabo gaming festival 

This (probably)

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,133 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Plans unveiled for PyeongChang 2018 Olympic Torch Relay

Relay Begins 24 October

IN A KEY MILESTONE, THE PYEONGCHANG 2018 OLYMPIC ORGANISING COMMITTEE FOR THE 2018 OLYMPIC AND PARALYMPIC WINTER GAMES (POCOG) HAS UNVEILED ITS PLANS FOR THE OLYMPIC TORCH RELAY ROUTES AND THE SELECTION OF OLYMPIC TORCHBEARERS.

Coinciding with the 100-days-to-go mark on 1 November 2017, and following the lighting of the Olympic flame in Olympia, Greece, one week earlier, the Olympic flame will arrive in the city of Incheon.  

The Olympic flame will then spend 101 days making its way around 17 cities and provinces across the Republic of Korea, shining a spotlight on the nation’s culture, technological prowess and landmarks, and enabling people across the host country to share in the excitement of the Olympic Torch Relay.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,133 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

To put it another way

You mean cringy 2020 cyberpunk anime holograms and anime weeabo gaming festival Olympics?

The cringiest.

Oh, and by the way— how come I misspelled Pyeongchang as "PyeongChang?" Surely that was a typo...!

Well...

Pyeongchang name similarities with North Korean capital prompt rebranding by ’16 Olympic host city

Capitalizing One Letter Changes Everything

With a one letter shift from lower to upper case, the South Korean venue for the 2018 Winter Olympics, Pyeongchang, hopes to ensure visitors don’t end up flying to the capital of North Korea by mistake.
Briefing the foreign media in Seoul on Tuesday, the governor of Gangwon province, where the ski resort is located, acknowledged that the venue name was similar enough to Pyongyang to lead some winter sports fans dangerously astray.
“Because of the similarity, foreigners can get confused,” Choi Moon-soon said.
“So, in order to avoid further confusion, we have decided to rebrand it as PyeongChang with an upper-case C,” Choi added.

You could literally see the same misunderstanding happen in this thread.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,133 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Yet another PR disaster for Winter Olympics: 'It's you, PyeongChang,' slogan "bewildering"

"It's you, PyeongChang."

It makes sense grammatically, but what does it mean?

Many foreigners scratched their heads after reading the sentence featuring in an advertisement in major newspapers on Monday meant to promote the nation's first winter Olympics in the mountain city of PyeongChang in February 2018.

The Gangwon Province government that created the ad said "It's you, PyeongChang" was intended to promote that every member of the global village, Koreans and non-Koreans alike, has a role to make the event a success. 

Yet few seemed to have found the message from it.

"The phrase doesn't reach me in anyway," said Celeste Kriel, a South African living in Seoul. "It can be interpreted in so many ways that it's hard to grasp the message."

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,133 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Chinese IOC official found dead in 2018 Winter Olympics host city, cause of death not known

A Chinese International Olympic Committee (IOC) official was found dead on Friday at a hotel in the host city of the 2018 PyeongChang Winter Games, police said.

The 62-year-old IOC official, whose name was withheld, was found dead in his hotel room in PyeongChang, some 180 kilometers east of Seoul, at around 3:30 p.m., according to police. The cause of his death is not known.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,133 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

International Paralympic Committee bans Russia from Pyeongchang Winter Games over doping

The Russian Paralympic Committee (RPC) announced the latest punishment handed out by the International Paralympic Committee (IPC) on Tuesday (AEST).

"The decision taken by the IPC, upheld by the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) regarding Russian Paralympians being excluded from the 2016 Paralympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, has also been extended to include the Winter Games in 2018 in Pyeongchang," the RPC said on its website.

Dates back to July 2016, but still relevant.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,133 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Test events expose problems in Pyeongchang

With just under 300 days to go to the 2018 Pyeongchang Winter Olympics, there are growing concerns over problems that have emerged with facilities, operations and other aspects.

Such issues were brought to light during test events, with the holding of the final such event on April 20, at venues for both the Olympics and Paralympics.

At the curling venue in Gangneung, South Korea, repair work has been under way since the finding in late March that there were large cracks throughout the concrete floor.

The Gangneung Curling Center hosted two test events, the World Junior Curling Championships in February and the World Wheelchair Curling Championship in March. Repair work on the existing facility, which was built in 1998, was completed in January. But after the ice sheets were formed, the weight of the ice is believed to have caused cracks in the floor.

As the condition of the ice can affect the placing of shots, specialized skills are required in making the ice.

The ice maker who is expected to fill that role for the Pyeongchang Olympics was responsible for putting down the ice sheet for the test events. According to the World Curling Federation, cracks in the floor at the base of the rink could prevent the ice sheet from freezing evenly, which lowers the quality of the ice.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,133 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Pre-standard 5G comes for 2018 Winter Olympics

KT has confirmed details of an ambitious plan to conduct extensive trials of pre-standard 5G technology at the 2018 Winter Olympics in PyeongChang, South Korea, ahead of full commercial rollout in 2019.

Talking to the IEEE Brooklyn 5G Summit in the US, KT EVP Hong-Beom Jeon said the company had already tested 5G use cases based on its own specifications for the technology.

IT thinks it can meet its target of rolling-out trial networks for the 2018 Winter Olympic Games, which take place in February 2018.

KT will install 5G-like technologies to enhance spectator experience, including tracking specific athletes on cross-country routes, and real time 360-degree VR views from the perspective of tobogganers.

Its 28GHz systems will be seen in Gangneung, PyeongChang, Jeongseon and Bokwang, in addition to a limited service within Seoul.

KT performed initial field tests at recent winter sporting events in the country and is confident its system will be ready for the start of the event.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users