Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Class War

class war class struggle social warfare class conflict rich poor elite billionaires bourgeoisie proletariat

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

Colonel O'Neil

Colonel O'Neil

From Time Immemorial...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

http://www.bbc.co.uk...gazine-22354245

I don't want to even say anything right now. This article makes me so angry.

The art of forgetting is inherent in human minds; the art of being forgotten  is the normal fate of knowing. We as futurists don't accept that. In the panels of the Universe, we alone will remain standing; remain unforgotten.

WithoutCoincidence

WithoutCoincidence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts
  • LocationSomewhere above Zero Latitude.

Urge to kill... rising...

The universe has gone from unimaginable, featureless heat to complexity and it will return in time to unimaginable, featureless cold.

-Chris Impey, How It Ends

Logically Irrational

Logically Irrational

For Lack of a Better Name

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts
  • LocationHoover Dam

At the very least this kind of story makes me thankful for social media. I'm sure this kind of thing happens all the time. A decade ago I'll bet it almost always got ignored by the general public because there was no real way for the information to get out. Today however, it's really impossible to get away with something like this.

Thank god for the Streisand effect.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas

Wow.

I hope for the day we don't have to use money again.

• Italian Ufo likes this

Hey.  Stop reading.  The post is over.

Ewan

Ewan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts
  • LocationLondon

The thing is, the money gap here isn't really any better. We just have slightly more (and our super rich slightly more), and that tiny bit extra makes all the difference. It really wouldn't take a great deal to take the world out of poverty, but unfortunately people can never have too much. 

You guys might find this universal welfare trial in India interesting.

Why is it taking so long for these people to have basic amenities like clean water, shelter & food. It wouldn't cost that damn much, there is no reason people need to the obscene amounts of money they have. 

For all the amazing good they do, why do charities such as the Bill & Melinda Gates foundation hold back so much money? These countries need help now far more than they will in 20 years. There's a lot of old farts in the US in their 60s & 70s, they'll give away their money when they die, but by that point it's going to be far less effective.

I guess a few people throwing money at it won't solve the problem. If the top 1% as a whole did however, worldwide poverty could be eradicated in less than 10 years. 

Cody930

Cody930

An Apple Pie from Scratch

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,510 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey, US

I was reading about that too Ewan. It's an interesting method that I've been reading about in general myself lately. Canada tried this in the 70's via an experiment called MINCOME with success. It would certainly get rid of the cluster fuck of welfare programs in the west and reduce the bureaucracy for it. Throwing more money at current welfare though isn't going to reduce poverty any much further than it is. Not to say it hasn't though since initially most western nations saw a nice drop after WWII when the programs slowly got bigger and more funded but stagnated and is still prevalent in large numbers today. Cutting isn't doing society any favors either. It has to be done in new bold ways like this (for now anyway until money is obsolete). 

What's got to freakin' change though is basically what is said here and is what holds a lot back, from the middle to the top 1%,  from supporting welfare in general: "The idea of giving money to the poor without asking for anything in return startled some. “They told us the men would use the money to get drunk, and the women to buy jewellery and saris,” said Dewala. “But it’s a middle-class prejudice that the poor don’t know how to use money sensibly."

That attitude is way too prevalent  I've come across several people, even my own family, who've never been poor themselves yet openly say "Fuck the poor. They're scrounging off my tax dollars." Responding to that kind of statement myself devolves into a shit storm of an argument. Quite sad. When I say try living on welfare today and see how fun it is though they can't really respond to that. :p 

"Since we first emerged, a few million years ago in East Africa, we have meandered our way around the planet. There are now people on every continent and the remotest islands, from pole to pole, from Mount Everest to the Dead Sea, on the ocean bottoms and even, occasionally, in residence 200 miles up - humans, like the gods of old, living in the sky."

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • 2,853 posts
  • Locationwhere fanciful imaginings and hard won knowledge meet to genesis the future.

I'm not trying to be an ass, but is this something many of you don't see often? There is hardly a week goes by I don't see or hear of these sorts of behaviors or statements being made. It's actually so common that the repetoire of responses handed back to people and the people who use knowledge of legal proceeding to shut down powerplays is a thing of beauty to behold.

Live content within small means. Seek elegance rather than luxury, Grace over fashion and wealth over riches.
Listen to clouds and mountains, children and sages. Act bravely, think boldly.
Await occasions, never make haste. Find wonder and awe, by experiencing the everyday.

Colonel O'Neil

Colonel O'Neil

From Time Immemorial...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

It doesn't happen so blatantly in the UK, and thank god for that. If scum like that ever did something in my country I would be up in arms. Literally.

I HATE it when people think they are entitled to more than someone else, solely because they have more money. Hopefully technology will make it harder and harder to do this sort of shit without it backfiring on you.

The art of forgetting is inherent in human minds; the art of being forgotten  is the normal fate of knowing. We as futurists don't accept that. In the panels of the Universe, we alone will remain standing; remain unforgotten.

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
I read this article as well yesterday and that Andrea Benitez is a spoiled little c*nt who doesn't even deserve to walk the streets. I'd have her thrown in a cell for life for being such a bitch. Hate her.
  • Colonel O'Neil likes this

Rkw

Rkw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
they call him "asalariado," meaning "wage earner".

I'm speechless.

Really makes you want to get violent with these people.

Colonel O'Neil

Colonel O'Neil

From Time Immemorial...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

If she called me a salado or whatever I would just laugh. It shows how out of touch they are from the real world. Being a wage earner is more honorable than getting all your money handed down to you by your rich and corrupt father.

More shocking is the "fashion designer" who thought he could beat someone so hard that his teeth were broken just because he didn't want to abandon his post as a trafic warden and help the guy with a tire.

I wish I had been there. That fashion designer would be the one going to hospital.

Rkw

Rkw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
More shocking is the "fashion designer" who thought he could beat someone so hard that his teeth were broken just because he didn't want to abandon his post as a trafic warden and help the guy with a tire.

The traffic cop was out of his depth, that was clearly a job for the...

.. Fashion Police?

DJKiran

DJKiran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • LocationUK

It just reminds us how much of the world still needs fixing​, with all the racists, sexists, discriminants, pedophiles, sex offenders, etc and how they treat other people  lower than them. I hope they go to hell, and get their taste of their own medicine

Innovation and Change are the most important things in life

The Future is worth waiting for..... - Kiran Appiah 2011

Thaizasaskand

Thaizasaskand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

For fuck's sake! Just an example of what inequality leads to in society.

http://futuretimelin...tm#.UY45Lu3_i70

Does anybody remember this?

Edited by Thaizasaskand, 29 September 2013 - 09:47 AM.

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
Yes, I do remember that and it makes me fucking sick. Every single one of those 100 people should be imprisoned for being such selfish arseholes and their money spent on those who deserve it!

Thaizasaskand

Thaizasaskand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

It's a shame that the UK is now supporting the UKIP more - their pro-rich tax policies would allow rich people to hoard even more.

Edited by Thaizasaskand, 29 September 2013 - 10:23 AM.

Colonel O'Neil

Colonel O'Neil

From Time Immemorial...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Inequality is a huge problem for our civilization. It's human nature to look down on those who we perceive as inferior to us. It happens all the time; look at how we treat some animals and insects.

But those who earn ridiculous sums of money can do things that those who can't cannot do (e.g. buy huge houses and fast cars). In short money becomes an enabler for them. They think they are better than other members of their own race, because SOCIETY treats them better.

Do you know why the Andrea Benitez in the article was so angry about not being given the seat? Because the seat is usually given to her.

When people stop talking about social status and referring to the wealthy as "elite" and money is relegated to the sidelines of history, we will have true equality.

But technology has to get us there.

WithoutCoincidence

WithoutCoincidence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts
  • LocationSomewhere above Zero Latitude.

Quite true. Survival of the fittest, putting others down to raise ourselves higher, has been burned into our genetic code every day for the past four billion years. It's gonna be... tricky... to get over it.

The universe has gone from unimaginable, featureless heat to complexity and it will return in time to unimaginable, featureless cold.

-Chris Impey, How It Ends

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • 2,853 posts
  • Locationwhere fanciful imaginings and hard won knowledge meet to genesis the future.

while I agree in a large part with the sentiment I think it's important to point out that the only reason we can use fMRI and develop stem cell research toward cures for diabetes are because money is not equally distributed among people who would use it for a pay perview boxing match or gold hubcaps.

If you took all the money being invested in research and development which came from the upper class and distributed it among the rest of the population evenly less than ten percent of it would be used to push society forward.

Okay yes some of what the rich squander and waste what they have when it could better be spend helping others. But truely even if all that money where in our hands and we miraculously managed to use it all for changing the world, we still couldn't do nearly as much. Why? Because we don't have the connection to make it super effective. We don't know how to play the system to leverage maximum return on investment.

Part of that is seen in the idea that just throwing money at these problems would resolve them. Problems and populations are like sponges, throwing money at them will just disappear into it without any noticable change in the area. Because the money gets spent inefficiently and with short term goals. That's why the old saying goes give a man a fish he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime. The cost of a fishing lesson and equiptment would exceed the cost of a fish, but the teaching and equiptment would return on investment many times over.

Most people don't get this idea. So giving money as a way of fixing things seems like it might work, but in truth developing portable medical scanning devices through chip design R&D testing them as parts in cell phones and other applications which in themselves will return on the investment rapidly and give more capital to be invested in similar R&D, will produce the tech adavances to make long term improvements in quality of life for people who might otherwise only gotten three meals off the initial money.

Live content within small means. Seek elegance rather than luxury, Grace over fashion and wealth over riches.
Listen to clouds and mountains, children and sages. Act bravely, think boldly.
Await occasions, never make haste. Find wonder and awe, by experiencing the everyday.

star0

star0

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

From a few months back: Blame Rich, Overeducated Elites as Our Society Frays

Complex human societies, including our own, are fragile. They are held together by an invisible web of mutual trust and social cooperation. This web can fray easily, resulting in a wave of political instability, internal conflict and, sometimes, outright social collapse.

Analysis of past societies shows that these destabilizing historical trends develop slowly, last many decades, and are slow to subside. The Roman Empire, Imperial China and medieval and early-modern England and France suffered such cycles, to cite a few examples. In the U.S., the last long period of instability began in the 1850s and lasted through the Gilded Age and the “violent 1910s.”

We now see the same forces in the contemporary U.S. Of about 30 detailed indicators I developed for tracing these historical cycles (reflecting popular well-being, inequality, social cooperation and its inverse, polarization and conflict), almost all have been moving in the wrong direction in the last three decades.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: class war, class struggle, social warfare, class conflict, rich, poor, elite, billionaires, bourgeoisie, proletariat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users