Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

LGBT+ News and Discussions

gay marriage homosexuality LGBT+ transgender gay marriage bisexuality

• Please log in to reply
543 replies to this topic

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,939 posts
  • LocationLondon
http://blogs.forbes....e-sex-marriage/

New York Legalizes Same-Sex Marriage

Jun. 25 2011

The New York State Senate passed a bill ending the ban on gay marriage this evening, and New York governor, Andrew Cuomo, signed it into law.

Senate approval was the final hurdle for the legislation, which was strongly supported by Mr. Cuomo. The Assembly approved changes made by the Senate, after passing an earlier version last week. Mr. Cuomo signed the measure late Friday, and the law will go into effect in 30 days, meaning that same-sex couples could begin marrying in New York by midsummer. “I am very proud of New York and the statement we made to the nation today,” Mr. Cuomo said.

The bill’s passage followed a daunting run of defeats in other states where voters barred same-sex marriage by legislative action, constitutional amendment or referendum. Just five states — Connecticut, Iowa, Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Vermont — permit same-sex marriage. It is also legal in : the District of Columbia.

This is tremendous news, and it’s really gratifying to see the move of four Republican state senators to vote yes on the bill, tipping the scale for passage (and then some). It’s a good day for New Yorkers and a good day for the civil liberties of gay people in New York and across the country.

The battle for full marriage equality is still a long ways from won, but adding New York to the growing list of states with full marriage equality is a huge victory.

And the crowd goes wild…

jjf3

jjf3

Not a Member of the Tea Party! Just a Concerned Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,046 posts
  • LocationHolmdel NJ/Tampa Fl
so what does this have to do with the tech industry or the future? Or did you just put this up because it is some sort of progress and maybe gay marriage will become national throughout the states?
"Did you really expect some utopian fantasy to rise from the ashes?" Thomas Zarek-- Battlestar Galactica.

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,939 posts
  • LocationLondon

Or did you just put this up because it is some sort of progress and maybe gay marriage will become national throughout the states?

I think you answered your own question there.

OrbitalResonance

OrbitalResonance

Cosmic Emperor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts
  • LocationDeep Space
This is good. This is the news section, yes it should go here.

We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers. - Carl Sagan

Prolite

Prolite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Or did you just put this up because it is some sort of progress and maybe gay marriage will become national throughout the states?

I think you answered your own question there.

ahahahaha.. :rofl:
I'm a business man, that's all you need to know about me.

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,939 posts
  • LocationLondon

http://www.dailymail...itain-2015.html

Caiman

Caiman

Administratus Extremus

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts
  • LocationManchester, England
David Cameron is such a liberal :p
~Jon

mic of orion

mic of orion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
  • Locationlondon

http://www.dailymail...itain-2015.html

why not now!!!

It angers me that places such as Holland and Sweden have done it way back in 2008, and we are still dragging our feet. :(
It's dangerous to be right, when your government is wrong.
They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

OrbitalResonance

OrbitalResonance

Cosmic Emperor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts
  • LocationDeep Space
the winds of change are upon us

We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers. - Carl Sagan

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • 6,060 posts
  • LocationRepublic of Jordan, 1 January 3025 C.E.
Well at least we're on are way to doing it though.
  • KingstonDon likes this
I want to go ahead of Father Time with a scythe of my own.

H. G. Wells

Innsertnamehere

Innsertnamehere

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
I agree, why not now? Someone should be allowed to marry whoever they want, regardless of sex. No questions asked.

Shimmy

Shimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

regardless of sex

or species

Caiman

Caiman

Administratus Extremus

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts
  • LocationManchester, England
^This almost sounds

regardless of sex

or species

Are you comparing homosexuality to bestiality?
~Jon

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,939 posts
  • LocationLondon

Are you comparing homosexuality to bestiality?

Of course he is. He's a tea-bagger.

Unrequited Lust

Unrequited Lust

He Who Would Swallow God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

regardless of sex

or species

Because animals have a legal standing and can sign a marriage contract.

Shimmy

Shimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts
You confuse me Will. You talk at length about how pretty tigers are and what wonderful creatures they are, and how essential they are to the survival of the planet. Yet being in a mutual loving relationship with one is suddenly controversial? Is there no pleasing you? And at what point exactly did I become a far right american, creationist, science denying tea-bagger? I've never been to america, I'm an atheist, I've spent a large portion of my adult life studying and understanding science. Are you really of the opinion that there are only two kinds of people in the world? You seem to think anyone who disagrees with you on anything has to be some kind of retarded republican scientific illiterate. I think you might find that everyone disagrees with you on something or other, so either everyone in the world is an idiot republican except you, or maybe perhaps there are people who don't fall into your ridiculous generalisations?
  • jjf3 likes this

Unrequited Lust

Unrequited Lust

He Who Would Swallow God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

You confuse me Will. You talk at length about how pretty tigers are and what wonderful creatures they are, and how essential they are to the survival of the planet. Yet being in a mutual loving relationship with one is suddenly controversial? Is there no pleasing you?
And at what point exactly did I become a far right american, creationist, science denying tea-bagger?
I've never been to america, I'm an atheist, I've spent a large portion of my adult life studying and understanding science. Are you really of the opinion that there are only two kinds of people in the world? You seem to think anyone who disagrees with you on anything has to be some kind of retarded republican scientific illiterate. I think you might find that everyone disagrees with you on something or other, so either everyone in the world is an idiot republican except you, or maybe perhaps there are people who don't fall into your ridiculous generalisations?

The insinuation that gay marriage will lead to animal marriage is popular argument against gay marriage in America. Because that's what it sounded like you were saying, fox assumed the worst and incidentally the most logical.

Granted I would add that the Tea Party is not concerned about social issues. It's strictly concerned about fiscal issues, even though most of Tea Partiers do hold "conservative" social values, but the party as a whole is largely Libertarian and nothing more.
  • Caiman likes this

Shimmy

Shimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts
I never intended any insinuation of anything like that, in fact that strange connection never even crossed my mind. I'm 100% behind (pun intended?) gay marriage, I was simply wondering how far the freedom to love could go. Is bestiality not just another social taboo at the end of the day, in a similar way that homosexuality was a taboo in the past? And anyway, a marriage doesn't necessarily need to involve sex if that's your main issue.

truthiness

truthiness

The Squire of Gothos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • LocationKalamazoo MI
Well, if we're going to get right down to the core of the issue, homosexual intercourse is a consensual act between two adults. Sex with an animal is a case that far more closely resembles rape, as the animal is not capable of consenting. Now, should we ever get to a point where we start "elevating" great apes to our level of intelligence, and consent becomes possible, then things begin to become interesting again...

Making a statement implying that gay marriage will lead to legalizing bestiality (presumably because our precious social taboos are being erased), could be construed as a homophobic insult.

Here's why...

There are taboos that are taboos because "normal" people find them distasteful, but which are performed by consenting adults... examples would be homosexual sex, BDSM, and depending on who you ask, anal sex, or even anything that isn't the missionary position. And then there are taboos that are taboos because we find them distasteful, AND one of the two parties is not consenting... examples of those include rape, child molestation, and bestiality.

There is a very, very large difference between the two, and those who oppose gay marriage on the grounds that it will lead to adults marrying children or bestiality completely fail to see that difference. The difference is consent.
You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us, and the world will be as one

Zeitgeist123

Zeitgeist123

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts
ive seen a man fucked to death by a horse..and it looks like both of them are consenting (with the sex). although i agree with Truthiness, i find the reason for consent as a weak argument. i think bestiality is disgusting, but if i saw someone doing it with a sheep, for example, and the sheep seems to enjoy it, id just probably look away. with marriage its a different matter, for the sole reason that animals does not have the faculty to grasp the concept of marriage or even love in a human sense. its similar to asking someone to sign a contract without the other party not having any idea of what hes signing and getting himself into.

“Philosophy is a pretty toy if one indulges in it with moderation at the right time of life. But if one pursues it further than one should, it is absolute ruin." - Callicles to Socrates

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gay marriage, homosexuality, LGBT+, transgender, gay, marriage, bisexuality

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users