Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

LGBT+ News and Discussions

gay marriage homosexuality LGBT+ transgender gay marriage bisexuality

• Please log in to reply
543 replies to this topic

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow

So is it done or not? :)

Is it just matter of time till 2015, or is there some legal stuff that can bump it back?

Edited by Craven, 05 February 2013 - 10:51 PM.

"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

"Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone."

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,060 posts
  • LocationRepublic of Jordan, 1 January 3025 C.E.
So is it done or not? :)

Is it just matter of time till 2015, or is there some legal stuff that can bump it back?

It's not done quite yet it has to be passed in the House of Lords, this may be difficult as we consider that the majority of the Lords are upper class, white, heterosexual men educated at Ox-Bridge, however, they may feel that there is pressure to pass this, equally they can also strike it down.

Edited by Time_Traveller, 06 February 2013 - 11:40 AM.

I want to go ahead of Father Time with a scythe of my own.

H. G. Wells

Lily

Lily

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts
  • LocationBerlin

I also don't really know how exactly politics work in the UK, but I thought the House of Lords' power was reduced so that they could veto a bill, and thus delay it, but they can't hinder a law from passing if the majority of MPs is in favour of it? Would you care to elaborate?

In general, I am much in favour of same sex marriages being regarded equally in terms of taxes, rights etc. - Marriage, in my eyes, isn't what it was some hundred years ago (a means of supporting women who alone weren't worth much and, of course, generating descendants) , and now that we have so much other possibilites to ensure those things, marriage has, at least partially, lost its sense of being something untouchable and almost holy. Besides, why should people be excluded from it (if they want it and it is consensual) just because they don't follow "nature's course"? We rarely do anyhow, nowadays, everything considered.

"All scientific advancement due to intellegence overcoming, compensating, for limitations. Can't carry a load, so invent wheel. Can't catch food, so invent spear. Limitations. No limitations, no advancement. No advancement, culture stagnates. Works other way too. Advancement before culture is ready. Disastrous."

There's definitely truth in that...

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • 6,507 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC
I also don't really know how exactly politics work in the UK, but I thought the House of Lords' power was reduced so that they could veto a bill, and thus delay it, but they can't hinder a law from passing if the majority of MPs is in favour of it? Would you care to elaborate?

In general, I am much in favour of same sex marriages being regarded equally in terms of taxes, rights etc. - Marriage, in my eyes, isn't what it was some hundred years ago (a means of supporting women who alone weren't worth much and, of course, generating descendants) , and now that we have so much other possibilites to ensure those things, marriage has, at least partially, lost its sense of being something untouchable and almost holy. Besides, why should people be excluded from it (if they want it and it is consensual) just because they don't follow "nature's course"? We rarely do anyhow, nowadays, everything considered.

People are irrational when it comes to those things. A lot of times, the primary motivator for this kind of behavior is fear of change. They aren't willing to contemplate the reasons why this kind of change is benetifical/constructive in the long run... Fear is a very powerful suppressant, so is ignorance, not necessarily willful. Up until now, evolution had the human brain wired this way to detect threats to social cohesion within a group and eliminate them to ensure long-term survival.

Social change shaped by various dynamics unique to today's society is accelerating faster than evolution can keep up... so some of us have to rely on "inventive" means of dealing with this change. Hence, the divide between progressives and conservatives. :)

Edited by Raklian, 07 February 2013 - 04:07 PM.

What are you without the sum of your parts?

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow

Posted Image

• Lily, Cody930, FutureOfToday and 2 others like this
"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
http://www.bbc.co.uk.../world-22184232 - brilliant news! What do you think of this?
  • Cody930 and Rkw like this

Rkw

Rkw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

But if you let them marry the same sex soon they'll be marrying dogs! And rocks! and Ice cream cones!

The world has gone mad.

Raklian

Raklian

• Moderators
  • 6,507 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC
But if you let them marry the same sex soon they'll be marrying dogs! And rocks! and Ice cream cones!

The world has gone mad.

This slippery slope argument holds no water, of course.

Marriage requires consent of two parties which can't be said of dogs, rocks, and, yes, ice cream cones.

But... but... polygamy marriages will prove a trickier proposition. If we are confronted with this issue and wish to maintain integrity, I say let's allow polygamy. No, no, that's not right, we don't "allow" it but give it to what is theirs by right. Interestingly enough, the US Constitution doesn't declare any limits on marriages. In fact, it doesn't say anything about marriage at all.

Rkw

Rkw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

I'd say in the future we'll be marrying AI but I think the AI will be smarter than that.

Raklian

Raklian

• Moderators
  • 6,507 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC
I'd say in the future we'll be marrying AI but I think the AI will be smarter than that.

LOL

From the AI's perspective, it's like marrying a tapole or, heck, even an amoeba.

Rkw

Rkw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Even with an intellectual equal and the appropriate "human" emotions, I imagine an AI's response to a marriage proposal would be "why?"

Good thing our virtual reality women won't be anywhere near that intelligent, we can have a digital harem at our beck and call... R-right?

Raklian

Raklian

• Moderators
  • 6,507 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC
Good thing our virtual reality women won't be anywhere near that intelligent, we can have a digital harem at our beck and call... R-right?

You're kidding, right?

I'd rather have a woman whose IQ is off the charts and uses it to humilate me in every way imaginable. The ultimate dominatrix in a virtual sex scene! :D

Thaizasaskand

Thaizasaskand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts
  • LocationSnodland, Kent, UK

Same-sex adoption has also been approved there today (so I am aware).

Rkw

Rkw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Well there's a kink we might otherwise never have known about..

• Raklian likes this

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow

I'm not tracking it too much, but I'd say more and more countries are legalising this recently, or is it still a slow process?

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois
I'm not tracking it too much, but I'd say more and more countries are legalising this recently, or is it still a slow process?

I think more and more are doing it now.

As for NZ, good on them.

What difference does it make?

Zaphod

Zaphod

Esteemed Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • LocationUK

It is inevitable that all the countries getting more gay marriage support will change their laws eventually, it is in the governments interest to do it as soon as possible, in years to come people will look back and question why did it take so long for my country to legalise gay marriage when countries x, y and z, did it years earlier? 

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts

But if you let them marry the same sex soon they'll be marrying dogs! And rocks! and Ice cream cones!The world has gone mad.

Not sure if you mean it, but that sounds extremely homophobic... - but as you were saying, some countries in Asia already do allow marrying inanimate objects. http://metro.co.uk/2...-pillow-154906/

Rkw

Rkw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Haha, I was just kidding FoT. I didn't realise that was legal anywhere though, pretty funny.

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts

Haha, I was just kidding FoT. I didn't realise that was legal anywhere though, pretty funny.

Now that I read it back, I should have realised, sorry, lol! ;)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gay marriage, homosexuality, LGBT+, transgender, gay, marriage, bisexuality

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users