Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Business & Politics News and Discussions

business politics world economy economics corporations economy stock market recession government geopolitics

• Please log in to reply
1924 replies to this topic

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,733 posts

GOP governor calls for Moore to step aside: 'Americans are better than this'
Source: The Hill

BY MAX GREENWOOD - 11/11/17 02:48 PM EST

Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan on Saturday joined the growing chorus of Republican officials condemning GOP Senate candidate Roy Moore over decades-old allegations of sexual misconduct, saying that the Alabama conservative is "unfit for office."

Hogan is among the most recent Republicans to denounce the former Alabama Supreme Court justice and Senate hopeful amid allegations that he pursued sexual and romantic relations with teenage girls while he was in his 30s.

The allegations emerged in an explosive Washington Post report published Wednesday. One of Moore's accusers said she was just 14 years old when he initiated a sexual encounter with her in 1979.

Moore, who is now 70, has forcefully denied that allegation, though has not ruled out that he dated other girls in their late teens while he was in his early 30s.

Read more: http://thehill.com/h...etter-than-this

To follow my work on tropical cyclones

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,733 posts

More than 400 millionaires tell Congress: Dont cut our taxes
https://www.washingt...m=.79a16782aacb

By Heather Long at the Washington Post

"SNIP.......

More than 400 American millionaires and billionaires are sending a letter to Congress this week urging Republican lawmakers not to cut their taxes.

The wealthy Americans — including doctors, lawyers, entrepreneurs and chief executives — say the GOP is making a mistake by reducing taxes on the richest families at a time when the nation's debt is high and inequality is back at the worst level since the 1920s.

The letter calls on Congress not to pass any tax bill that “further exacerbates inequality” and adds to the debt. Instead of petitioning tax cuts for the wealthy, the letter tells Congress to raises taxes on rich people like them. It is being released publicly this week, as Republicans debate legislation that would add $1.5 trillion to the debt to pay for widespread tax cuts for businesses and individuals.

The letter was put together by Responsible Wealth, a group that advocates progressive causes. Signers include Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream founders Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield, fashion designer Eileen Fisher, billionaire hedge fund manager George Soros, and philanthropist Steven Rockefeller, as well as many individuals and couples who aren't household names but are part of the top 5 percent ($1.5 million in assets or earning $250,000 or more a year).

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,733 posts

Most Republican county in Ohio just flipped nine seats blue
Most Republican county in Ohio just flipped nine seats blue

Resistance to Trump is filtering down to local offices — even in a county Trump won by over 30 points.
By Matthew Chapman NOVEMBER 11, 2017

On Tuesday, Nov. 7, Democrats delivered shattering victories in the Virginia and New Jersey elections, and nationwide brought the total of state legislative seats flipped from red to blue since Donald Trump was elected to 32.

A less touted, but no less impressive, story is how Democrats have been flipping county and municipal offices in unexpected places.
Going into this week, Democrats had already made gains this year in local races in Illinois, New Mexico, and Virginia. And on Tuesday, local Democrats scored big in Ohio.

One of the most telling signs of growing Democratic strength is the results of elections in Ohio’s Warren County.

https://shareblue.co...d-9-seats-blue/

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,733 posts

https://shareblue.co...d-9-seats-blue/

(snip)

Warren County elected 9 new Democrats to local offices, and re-elected all 4 incumbents. Democrats now have multiple school board members, township trustees, a municipal court judge in Franklin, and a seat on the Educational Services Center. For good measure, they helped a moderate Republican defeat a far-right candidate for trustee in Deerfield Township.
(snip)
As the political signs shift more and more towards a coming wave election, Democrats are finding themselves competitive in places they have been locked out of for decades.
(snip)

Success and fresh blood beget more success and fresh blood.

Local races and high turnout via the ground game.

When Democrats show up to vote, Democrats win.

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,733 posts

James Hohmann

@jameshohmann

NRSC Chairman Cory Gardner: "If he refuses to withdraw and wins, the Senate should vote to expel him, because he does not meet the ethical and moral requirements of the United States Senate."
12:18 PM - Nov 13, 2017

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 5,197 posts

NRSC Chairman Cory Gardner: "If he refuses to withdraw and wins, the Senate should vote to expel him, because he does not meet the ethical and moral requirements of the United States Senate."

First, they should start on impeaching Trump.  

Then if they want to reject the choice by the voters for Moore, that should depend on a full consideration of the facts involved in the case.  Personally, I don't think inappropriate groping of a woman decades ago should be grounds for expulsion from the Senate.  Settlement of a civil suit on behalf of the injured party perhaps, but not expulsion from the Senate.  

If there are other grounds for expelling Moore, such as too cozy a relationship with the KKK or the American Nazi party, then expulsion may be appropriate.  Fascism should not be tolerated, even from elected representatives.

Of course, I am also hoping that Alabama voters decide not to inflict Mr. Moore on the rest of the country.

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,733 posts

"Advocacy group Free Press said in an FCC filing in August that Sinclair forces its stations to “air pro-Trump propaganda and then seeks favors from the Trump administration.”

Eric Keyes added,
Raw Story
Verified account @RawStory
House Democrats seek probe of FCC chairman’s treatment of Sinclair https://www.rawstory...nt-of-sinclair/
0 replies 2 retweets 2 likes

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,733 posts

***BREAKING**** Pedo Moore was banned from local mall for soliciting teenage girls

Roy Moore, the Republican Senate candidate and former chief justice of the Alabama Supreme Court, was born in Gadsden, a small city flanked by Interstate 59 and the Coosa River, an hour northeast of Birmingham. Gadsden is hilly, woodsy, blue-collar, and religious. “LEGAL OR NOT, SIN IS SIN,” a sign in front of a church announced yesterday. I saw it as I drove around, crisscrossing George Wallace Drive. I also saw Trump posters, Confederate flags, and dozens of signs for Doug Jones, the Democrat tied with Moore in recent Senate-race polls. Gadsden is the seat of Etowah County, which is a conservative place; Donald Trump received three times as many votes in the county as Hillary Clinton did. (Statewide, he received twice as many.) But I didn’t, in all my driving, see a single yard sign for Moore, the home-town son. Even the parking lot of the one mall in town had more bumper stickers for Luther Strange (four), Moore’s opponent in the Republican primary, than for Moore himself (one).

The Gadsden Mall opened in 1974. It has two department stores, Belk and Sears, one on each end. Between them, on Sunday night, I walked past Books-A-Million, Cellular Solutions, a Japanese steak house, Great American Cookies, Blacklight Mini-Golf, KnockerBall Gadsden, an eyebrow-styling kiosk, and a clothing store for young girls, called Justice. A diverse assortment of families wandered around the place, which felt trapped in time. Two young security guards made their rounds. “It gets rough in here on Saturday nights,” one of them told me, mentioning fighting, stealing, and gun-toting. “We still have an active ban list,” the other said, referencing a list of chronic rule-breakers not allowed on mall property. “But it doesn’t go back that far.”

https://www.newyorke...he-gadsden-mall

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 5,197 posts

Moore Alabama Senate Race Update

http://www.latimes.c...1113-story.html

Extract:

(Los Angeles Times) Moore so far is steadfastly refusing to step aside. He swiftly shot back that it’s McConnell who should go, echoing the views of former Trump advisor Stephen K. Bannon, who has turned the Alabama Senate race into the marquee contest in his emerging battle to take down establishment Republicans he views as insufficiently loyal to President Trump’s agenda.

“The person who should step aside is @SenateMajLdr Mitch McConnell. He has failed conservatives and must be replaced. #DrainTheSwamp,” Moore tweeted.

For many activists on the conservative right, the race has become a referendum on McConnell, whom Bannon wants to topple as Senate leader.

….The top contender often mentioned for the write-in campaign, Sen. Luther Strange, was appointed to fill Sessions’ seat earlier this year, but lost the primary despite millions spent by McConnell allies against Moore. Some have floated having Sessions run for his old seat.

Strategists say they doubt Strange or another Republican write-in candidate could win, in part because they are not as popular as Moore — who has a deeply dedicated following among Christians and conservatives — and because they expect Moore’s supporters would still cast ballots for him even though those votes would not be counted if he withdrew.

What gets me is all of these "Christians and conservatives" that support Moore.  I presume that many of these same folks were absolutely livid about the accusations against Bill Clinton.  I wonder how they reconcile those past sentiments with their current acceptance of Moore?

I think Republicans running a write-in candidate would be great.  This would surely split the vote and hand the election to Democrat Doug Jones, who is now slightly ahead in the polls without such a third choice in place.  

I do not know if this is a sign of the Republican party imploding, or if it is just peculiar to this particular race.  We will have a better feel for that come the 2018 elections.  In the mean time, I am keeping my fingers crossed and hoping that Jones can pull it off despite what I presume will be the usual voter suppression tactics.

• Sciencerocks likes this

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 5,197 posts

There it is. The answer to my question:

Moore and his defenders are counting on the fact that his supporters don’t want the allegations to be true. And, shamefully for all concerned, it’s working.

Source:  http://www.latimes.c...1113-story.html

So, for these folks, if you are a Democrat and some rumor crops up that reflects badly on you, well, it must be true.  But, if you are a Republican, then my gosh it is just the media trying to get your candidate.  Never mind how careful the journalists involved are in documenting the facts.  For such voters, they simply do not want the facts to be true.  Period.

Oh, how many times have conservatives in forums such as this countered a news story presented with "well your source is liberal." 

Not "your source has a history of publishing falsehoods."  Not "well here are some facts about the situation of which you may not be aware." 

Just, "your source is biased."  

As if that answers everything, regardless of painstakingly gathered evidence.

Meanwhile, often times the most outlandish claims of conservative media are swallowed hook, line, and sinker.

Why?

Because they simply want those claims to be true.

• Sciencerocks and rennerpetey like this

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,733 posts

GOP tax bill could spur $25 billion in Medicare cuts: CBO

The GOP tax bill could trigger automatic cuts worth $136 billion from mandatory spending in 2018, including $25 billion in Medicare cuts, if Congress doesn’t find another way to offset its deficit increases, according to the Congressional Budget Office (CBO).

The tax bill will add an estimated $1.5 trillion to the deficit over a decade. Congressional “pay-as-you-go” rules, called pay-go, require that the White House Office of Management and Budget (OMB) automatically cut mandatory spending if legislation increases the deficit beyond a certain point.

“Without enacting subsequent legislation to either offset that deficit increase, waive the recordation of the bill’s impact on the scorecard, or otherwise mitigate or eliminate the requirements of the [pay-go] law, OMB would be required to issue a sequestration order within 15 days of the end of the session of Congress to reduce spending in fiscal year 2018 by the resultant total of $136 billion,” CBO wrote on Tuesday.

Read more: http://thehill.com/p...dicare-cuts-cbo

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,733 posts

Senate confirms 'torture memo' author to lead Transportation Dept legal office

BY MELANIE ZANONA - 11/14/17 05:12 PM EST

The Senate narrowly confirmed President Trump’s controversial pick to serve as the Department of Transportation’s (DOT) chief legal adviser on Tuesday.

In a 50-47 vote, senators approved Steven Bradbury to be general counsel at the DOT. As chief legal officer of the department, Bradbury will have final authority on questions of law at the DOT and will supervise, coordinate and review the work of almost 500 lawyers throughout the agency.

Democrats have opposed Bradbury’s nomination for a litany of reasons, including that he wrote the legal justifications that authorized “enhanced interrogation techniques” under the George W. Bush administration. ... Bradbury was one of several architects of the so-called torture memos while he was the head of the Justice Department’s legal counsel office. Democrats blocked Bradbury from serving as assistant attorney general in 2008 over his role in the memos.

Other Democrats, however, raised concern about Bradbury’s work in the private sector representing Takata Corp.

- This report was updated at 5:29 p.m

Read more: http://thehill.com/p...ts-legal-office

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,733 posts

DEMOCRAT FLIPS OKLAHOMA STATE SENATE SEAT FROM RED TO BLUE

Dale Denwalt @denwalt
    Replying to @denwalt

One precinct remaining, Ikley-Freeman up by 14 votes. For what it's worth, she is gay. The Tulsa Beacon wasn't too happy about that: http://tulsabeacon.c...-another-woman/

Dale Denwalt @denwalt

The State Election Board website now reports Allison Ikley-Freeman has won Senate District 37, which will be the fourth Democratic pickup in the Oklahoma Legislature this year. If the results stand, she won by 31 votes out of 4,437 cas

• caltrek likes this

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,733 posts

Dem wins Albuquerque mayoral race after eight years of GOP control
BY REBECCA SAVRANSKY - 11/15/17 07:46 AM EST

New Mexico's state auditor will become the first Democrat to serve as Albuquerque's mayor in the past eight years.

Tim Keller won the mayoral race against Republican Albuquerque City Councilor Dan Lewis, according to The Associated Press.

http://thehill.com/h...-of-gop-control

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 5,197 posts

DEMOCRAT FLIPS OKLAHOMA STATE SENATE SEAT FROM RED TO BLUE

Dale Denwalt @denwalt
    Replying to @denwalt

One precinct remaining, Ikley-Freeman up by 14 votes. For what it's worth, she is gay. The Tulsa Beacon wasn't too happy about that: http://tulsabeacon.c...-another-woman/

Dale Denwalt @denwalt

The State Election Board website now reports Allison Ikley-Freeman has won Senate District 37, which will be the fourth Democratic pickup in the Oklahoma Legislature this year. If the results stand, she won by 31 votes out of 4,437 cas

^^^Wow...and if states like Oklahoma turn blue in the presidential elections, the Republicans could be defeated in a landslide in 2020.  Not to mention the congressional races of 2018.

• Sciencerocks and Cody930 like this

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,733 posts

BREAKING: Landmark study links Tory austerity to 120,000 deaths. Holy shit. http://www.independe...y-a8057306.html

It isn't just dumb but deadly too.

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,733 posts

Democratic candidate Doug Jones is up by eight points over Republican candidate Roy Moore among likely Alabama voters, in the latest Fox News Poll.

More on this: http://www.foxnews.c...enate-race.html

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 5,197 posts

I know part of the reason is that I am not greatly fond of the leadership of the Republican party. Still, I found this story to be hilarious.  Worthy of my Future of the Wurf's thread:

Roy Moore Is Teaming Up With Rush Limbaugh to Frame Mitch McConnell

http://www.motherjon...itch-mcconnell/

Introduction:

Alabama senate candidate Roy Moore has found someone new to blame for the allegations several more women have brought against him since Leigh Corfman told the Washington Post that Moore initiated a sexual encounter with her when she was 14 years old and he was 32.

“It’s a multi-faceted search-and-destroy mission here. But what’s really driving this,” controversial radio host Rush Limbaugh said on his show on Tuesday, “is Mitch McConnell.” 

And now Moore is using that line of attack in his latest fundraising pitch. “According to Limbaugh, Mitch McConnell and the GOP establishment are the ones driving filthy lies and accusations against me,” Moore wrote in the email.

Moore seems to believe that because McConnell and most establishment Republicans backed his primary opponent, Sen. Luther Strange, McConnell is now trying to orchestrate attacks on him. “McConnell and his pals didn’t get the message or don’t take defeat very well,” Moore wrote.

So far, eight different women have come forward to describe sexual misconduct or questionable behavior by the judge. At a news conference on Thursday, Roy Moore reiterated that he will not be stepping down. 

Course everybody knows that women can't think for themselves and must therefore be tools of some dark conspiracy. /sarcasm

rennerpetey

rennerpetey

To infinity, and beyond

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • LocationLost in the Delta Quadrant

Course everybody knows that women can't think for themselves and must therefore be tools of some dark conspiracy. /sarcasm

And that republicans can be lying and deceitful, with their own version of the truth that's often different from the real truth.  /completely serious

Pope Francis said that atheists are still eligible to go to heaven, to return the favor, atheists said that popes are still eligible to go into a void of nothingness.

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 5,197 posts

^^^^LOL

I love that "/completely serious"

At any rate here is a story that I suppose proves that Democrats are human too.  This is small comfort to women who must put up with this nonsense.  

Al Franken Is Accused of Groping a Woman in 2006

Introduction:

(Mother Jones) On Thursday, a television host and a sports broadcaster for Los Angeles’ KABC Leann Tweeden accused Sen Al Franken (D-Minn.) of groping and kissing her without her consent in 2006.

This is the most recent allegation of sexual misconduct embroiling powerful men in media and politics in recent weeks. On Tuesday, Rep. Jackie Speier (D-Calif.) said that she was aware of two members of Congress who have engaged in sexual harassment, noting that one was a Republican and one a Democrat.

On KABC’s website, Tweeden wrote she was a part of a group of performers headed to Afghanistan to entertain US troops stationed there. Sen. Franken, who was a comedian at the time, had written a skit that included a kiss with Tweeden. After badgering her to rehearse the skit before going on stage, Tweeden says that Franken forcibly kissed her. Later, on the flight home, an unknown person took a photo of Franken groping Tweeden while she slept. 

Sen. Franken issued an apology after the allegations were published. “I certainly don’t remember the rehearsal for the skit in the same way, but I send my sincerest apologies to Leeann.” he said. “As to the photo, it was clearly intended to be funny but wasn’t. I shouldn’t have done it.”

Majority Leader Sen. Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) is calling for an Ethics Committee investigation into Sen. Franken. “As with all credible allegations of sexual harassment or assault, I believe the Ethics Committee should review the matter. I hope the Democratic Leader will join me on this,” he said. “Regardless of party, harassment and assault are completely unacceptable—in the workplace or anywhere else.”

Oh, and there is Mitch McConnell on the scene again.  Boy, he sure is a busy little conspirator  :)

• rennerpetey likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: business, politics, world economy, economics, corporations, economy, stock market, recession, government, geopolitics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users