Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Computers & the Internet News and Discussions

computers internet Moores Law quantum computers silicon internet demographics wireless 5G supercomputers Google

• Please log in to reply
1423 replies to this topic

FutureGuy

FutureGuy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts
graphene could deliver Internet one hundred times faster

The use of graphene in telecommunications could dramatically accelerate internet speeds by up to a hundred times, according to new research by scientists in our Department of Physics.

In a paper published in Physical Review Letters, researchers from the Centre for Graphene Science at the Universities of Bath and Exeter have demonstrated for the first time incredibly short optical response rates using graphene, which could pave the way for a revolution in telecommunications.

http://phys.org/news...net-faster.html

• wjfox and eacao like this

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,742 posts

NearBytes short-range communication technology transmits data as sound

NFC has been hailed as the next big thing for a few years now, but adoption has been a lot slower than anticipated with people required to update their phones to NFC-capable models to take advantage of the technology. Brazilian startup Kinetics has developed a new communication technology called NearBytes that allows data transfer between older smartphones, including all existing Android and iOS smartphones, by using sound

Pitched as an alternative to Near Field Communication (NFC), NearBytes sees the transmitting device encrypt the data and send it as a series of chirps that sound similar to a cricket. The receiving device then captures these sounds and decodes the data. As it relies only on the devices' microphone and speaker, NearBytes doesn't require any special hardware. The only requirement is that the devices be within 10 cm (3.93 inches) of each other

http://www.gizmag.com/nearbytes-communication-proximity/28347/]NearBytes sounds like an NFC alternative[/url]

To follow my work on tropical cyclones

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,742 posts

Samsung reveals entry-level 1TB 'SSDs for everyone'

http://www.dvice.com...b-ssds-everyone

Just a handful of years, solid state drives (SSD) were considered "nice to have" storage. While everyone from professionals to gamers to casual users now see how beneficial faster SSD transfers are, there are still a few reasons why they're not "must haves." Price and capacity still continue to deter users from choosing SSDs over traditional platter-based hard drives. The tables are finally starting to turn, though, at least for capacity.

At its SSD Global Summit, Samsung announced its new SSD 840 EVO, the successor to last year's 840 Series SSDs, now with capacities from 120GB up to 1TB. Yes, the era of 750GB SSD and 1TB SSD is finally upon us.

Using a 10-nanometer class manufacturing process, the new 250GB 840 EVO SSDs are two times faster than the previous generation — with write speeds of 520MB/s. A 120GB 840 EVO SSD model isn't far behind with write speeds of 410MB/s — three times faster than the previous 120GB 840 SSD, according to Samsung.

• wjfox and eacao like this

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,966 posts
  • LocationLondon

China smartphone owners swell number of internet users

China now has 591 million internet users, according to the latest official figures from the country.

The China Internet Network Information Centre added that 464 million citizens accessed the net via smartphones or other wireless devices.

The headline figure marks a 10% rise on last year and indicates 44% of the country's population uses the web and other net services.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-23343058

Posted Image

TechyJunkie

TechyJunkie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Someone just mention the graphene few posts before - I've just found some more info about it over the web - check it out here: http://www.nano-man....nes.html]Jagged graphene edges can slice into cell membranes[/url] and here: Just an atom thick and 200 times stronger than steel and a near perfect conductor - it seems that graphene is the next future material which will be as common as a steel is on these days

Edited by TechyJunkie, 23 July 2013 - 12:10 PM.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,143 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

D-Wave 2 Labeled World's First Quantum Computer; Utilizes 512 Qubits

http://wccftech.com/...super-computer/

Imagine the history of classical computers throughout a full century; now compress this advancement into 20-30 years. This may be how the quantum computing revolution goes. From UNIVAC to Watson in a generation.

• Raklian likes this
Nobody's gonna take my drone, I'm gonna fly miles far too high!
Nobody gonna beat my drone, it's gonna shoot into the sky!

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • 6,512 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC
D-Wave 2 Labeled World's First Quantum Computer; Utilizes 512 Qubits

http://wccftech.com/...super-computer/

Imagine the history of classical computers throughout a full century; now compress this advancement into 20-30 years. This may be how the quantum computing revolution goes. From UNIVAC to Watson in a generation.

Also see this -

D-Wave 512 qubit quantum computer faster than any supercomputer for optimization problems of Interest to Google with about 21 petaflop equivalent

http://nextbigfuture...ter-faster.html

Posted Image

Edited by Raklian, 23 July 2013 - 03:49 PM.

• Yuli Ban likes this
What are you without the sum of your parts?

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,143 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

I stand corrected- 20-30 years? Try 2-3 years!

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow

What does it mean "faster than universe"?

• eacao likes this
"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

"Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone."

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • 6,512 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Perhaps under this scenario, one would think the Universe as a computer or a numerical simulation, so a quantum computer with sufficient qubits can process certain types of problems faster than the Universe can within a certain interval of time or the entire age of the Universe depending on how you look at it.

EDIT: I found this website that discusses Rose's Law. The answer about "faster than the Universe" question is in the sentence I underlined in bold below.

http://www.flickr.co...son/8054771535/

So, how do we read the graph above? Like Moore’s Law, a straight line describes an exponential. But unlike Moore’s Law, the computational power of the quantum computer should grow exponentially with the number of entangled qubits as well. It’s like Moore’s Law compounded. (D-Wave just put together an animated visual of each processor generation in this video, bringing us to the present day.)

And now, it gets mind bending. If we suspend disbelief for a moment, and use D-Wave’s early data on processing power scaling (more on that below), then the very near future should be the watershed moment, where quantum computers surpass conventional computers and never look back. Moore’s Law cannot catch up. A year later, it outperforms all computers on Earth combined. Double qubits again the following year, and it outperforms the universe. What the???? you may ask... Meaning, it could solve certain problems that could not be solved by any non-quantum computer, even if the entire mass and energy of the universe was at its disposal and molded into the best possible computer.

Edited by Raklian, 23 July 2013 - 05:46 PM.

• eacao, Yuli Ban and equicidal like this
What are you without the sum of your parts?

tornado64

tornado64

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  • LocationChina

This will mean we will need a complete new security infrastructure as every today safe password becomes easy to crack.

d2themfi

d2themfi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

anyone know what sorts of things will be possible with a 10,000 or 100,000 or 1million, or 1 billion qubit quantum computer?

Squillimy

Squillimy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts

probably a simulation of the big bang or the universe itself. That's about all I can imagine

What becomes of man when the things that man can create are greater than man itself?

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,742 posts

Red Pitaya: Open instruments for everyone

http://www.kickstart...ts-for-everyone
Technologies yesterday available only to research labs and industry turn your iPhone, tablet or PC into an amazing instrument.

RED PITAYA ECOSYSTEM

Red Pitaya is an open source measurement and control tool replacing many expensive laboratory instruments at a surprising price tag.

This powerful exotic tool is at the heart of a revolutionary Red Pitaya Ecosystem, which facilitates discovering, experiencing, learning, developing and sharing a variety of applications.

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

3D CMOSS Memristor Circuits

There is work towards creating 3D CMOs memristor circuits

Maximum Number of Layers
• Each layer has N^2 cells.
• There are r^2– 1 cross points per cell.
• That gives us a total of N^2 * (r^2 – 1) cross points per layer.
• The double decoding scheme allows us to address up to N^4 locations
• Which means that we can (potentially) have up to N^2 /(r^2 – 1) crossbar layers.

If Successful, 3D Hybrids Can Achieve…..
• Unprecedente dmemory density
– Footprint of a nano‐device is 4F nano 2/K, for K vertically integrated crossbar layers
– Potentially up to 10^14 bits on a single 1‐cm^2 chip
• Enormous memory bandwidth
– Potentially up to 10^18 bits/second/cm2
• At manageable power dissipation
• With abundant redundancy for yield/reliability

What difference does it make?

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,143 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Really is the funniest thing I've ever heard though...

d2themfi

d2themfi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Really is the funniest thing I've ever heard though...

I think it just means if the entire universe was a classical computer, that it would be faster than that. Certainly mind blowing, but it makes sense I think

FutureGuy

FutureGuy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

I've read somewhere that the computational power of a quantum computer doubles for each qbit added. Is that true?

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow

That is true.

"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

"Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone."

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • 12,190 posts

that's fantastic. I refer to the article above.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: computers, internet, Moores Law, quantum computers, silicon, internet demographics, wireless, 5G, supercomputers, Google

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users