Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Computers & the Internet News and Discussions

computers internet Moores Law quantum computers silicon internet demographics wireless 5G supercomputers Google

• Please log in to reply
1424 replies to this topic

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,155 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Nanoneurons Enable Neuromorphic Chips for Voice Recognition

Last month, IEEE Spectrum ran a special report focusing on the question “Can We Copy the Brain?” The report offered a thorough examination of all the ongoing efforts in duplicating the human brain both in terms of hardware and software.

Among the areas covered was neuromorphic chips that mimic the neurons in the brain. According to the leading practitioners in the field, neuromorphic systems do exist today, but remain pretty far from the point where they can outperform more traditional computing schemes.

Now an international team of scientists from France, the United States and Japan has zeroed in on the non-linear oscillations of human neurons that they believe will bring the capabilities of artificial neurons much closer to the ones in our heads. The results, they say, could lead to miniature neuromorphic chips capable of learning and adapting to a range of applications.

Nobody's gonna take my drone, I'm gonna fly miles far too high!
Nobody gonna beat my drone, it's gonna shoot into the sky!

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,155 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Intel´s New Self-Learning Chip Promises to Accelerate Artificial Intelligence

Imagine a future where complex decisions could be made faster and adapt over time. Where societal and industrial problems can be autonomously solved using learned experiences.
It’s a future where first responders using image-recognition applications can analyze streetlight camera images and quickly solve missing or abducted person reports.
It’s a future where stoplights automatically adjust their timing to sync with the flow of traffic, reducing gridlock and optimizing starts and stops.
It’s a future where robots are more autonomous and performance efficiency is dramatically increased.
An increasing need for collection, analysis and decision-making from highly dynamic and unstructured natural data is driving demand for compute that may outpace both classic CPU and GPU architectures. To keep pace with the evolution of technology and to drive computing beyond PCs and servers, Intel has been working for the past six years on specialized architectures that can accelerate classic compute platforms. Intel has also recently advanced investments and R&D in artificial intelligence (AI) and neuromorphic computing.

• Casey, Ghostreaper and SkyHize like this

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,760 posts

Twitter is doubling the length of tweets to 280 characters for some people
Source: Business Insider

For the first time in its 11-year history, Twitter will lift the 140-character limit for tweets — at least for some people.

The company announced Tuesday that it would begin testing a new limit of 280 characters for all languages except Japanese, Chinese, and Korean. The change will only be seen by a small percentage of Twitter users at first before it's potentially made available broadly.

The move will give Twitter users more freedom to express themselves, easing one of the most difficult aspects of using a service that has struggled to grow its audience in recent years.

But the change also moves Twitter away from a trademark feature that has given rise to a unique genre of rapid-fire conversations mastered by celebrities, sports stars, and politicians like President Donald Trump.

Read more: http://www.businessi...aracters-2017-9

• Casey and caltrek like this

To follow my work on tropical cyclones

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,760 posts

Recently discovered phenomenon could provide a way to bypass the limits to Moore's Law
October 2, 2017 by David Chandler

New research has shown that an exotic kind of magnetic behavior discovered just a few years ago holds great promise as a way of storing data—one that could overcome fundamental limits that might otherwise be signaling the end of "Moore's Law," which describes the ongoing improvements in computation and data storage over recent decades.

Rather than reading and writing data one bit at a time by changing the orientation of magnetized particles on a surface, as today's magnetic disks do, the new system would make use of tiny disturbances in magnetic orientation, which have been dubbed "skyrmions." These virtual particles, which occur on a thin metallic film sandwiched against a film of different metal, can be manipulated and controlled using electric fields, and can store data for long periods without the need for further energy input.

In 2016, a team led by MIT associate professor of materials science and engineering Geoffrey Beach documented the existence of skyrmions, but the particles' locations on a surface were entirely random. Now, Beach has collaborated with others to demonstrate experimentally for the first time that they can create these particles at will in specific locations, which is the next key requirement for using them in a data storage system. An efficient system for reading that data will also be needed to create a commercializable system.

Read more at: https://phys.org/new...ts-law.html#jCp

https://phys.org/new...limits-law.html

• Nerd likes this

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,760 posts

TSMC 7 nanometer fab ramping in 2018, 5 nm in 2019, 3 nm Fab in 2021-2022
brian wang | October 3, 2017 |

Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. (TSMC) will build the world’s first 3-nm fab in the Tainan Science Park in southern Taiwan, where the company does the bulk of its manufacturing.

About a year ago, TSMC said it planned to build its next fab at the 5-nm to 3-nm technology node as early as 2022. The more recent one-paragraph announcement from TSMC on Sept. 29 didn’t provide a timeframe for the opening of the 3-nm fab.

TSMC previously estimated it would need 50 to 80 hectares (123 to 198 acres) of land for an investment worth about NT$500 billion ($15.7 billion). The company’s earlier 2022 timeframe for the fab takes into account potentially unanticipated delays in construction. Some of TSMC’s recent projects in Taiwan have been set back by as much as a year by public hearings on environmental impact.

https://www.nextbigf...-2021-2022.html

• Casey likes this

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,760 posts

Google Hardware + Assistant + Nest brings Star Trek like Computer Interaction
brian wang | October 4, 2017 |

In Star Trek, you talk to the computer and it understands you and alters the ship and the environment in response. Star Trek also has universal voice translation.

Google is implementing this vision with the newly announced Google Pixelbook, Pixel smartphones when combined with home and building automation with Nest devices.

Google announced their second generation family of consumer hardware products, all made by Google: new Pixel phones, Google Home Mini and Max, an all new Pixelbook, Google Clips hands-free camera, Google Pixel Buds, and an updated Daydream View headset. We see tremendous potential for devices to be helpful, make your life easier, and even get better over time when they’re created at the intersection of hardware, software and advanced artificial intelligence (AI).

https://www.nextbigf...nteraction.html

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,760 posts

Western Digital outs capacious helium-filled hard drive
Computers
Paul Ridden   

Earlier this year, Western Digital's HGST business arm announced a 12 TB hard drive aimed at businesses and data centers. Now the company has managed to add another 2 terabytes of storage space into a single drive unit for the launch of the Ultrastar Hs14 enterprise-class HDD.

Before you start thinking about whipping out the two 10 TB drives in your My Book Duo, the Ultrastar Hs14 HDD is not destined for consumers. The high capacity drive technology will doubtless trickle down into the home and small business user at some point in the near future, but for the moment it's being aimed at cloud and data centers.

http://newatlas.com/...hs14-hdd/51641/

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,760 posts

Wireless 5G networks will be deployed in 2019
brian wang | October 9, 2017 |
Save

Rajeev Suri, president and CEO of Nokia, said Nokia expects 5G networks to be deployed in 2019, with widespread trials next year.

5G technology will enable carriers to provide solutions to a greater number of use cases. He said a lot of the work that has been done to date with pre-standards trials of 5G “were really to gain a lot of insights that helped us feed right back into the standards work.”

He added that standardization and openness would be critical to creating the healthy ecosystem that is required to enable 5G to flourish.

The wireless industry prepared to spend an estimated $275 billion to deploy 5G.

https://www.nextbigf...ed-in-2019.html

• Casey and Yuli Ban like this

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 5,220 posts

Is The Machine Already Awake -- Is That Snowden's Biggest Revelation?

http://eventhorizonc...ke-is-that.html

Introduction:

In private conversations in recent years I have explored the idea with other writers and researchers that artificial intelligence may already be here; that the global network of the Internet and associated electronic systems of radio, television, telephone networks, banking and financial systems, communications satellites and intercontinental fiber optic cable systems, CCTV and security cameras, massive governmental and corporate data bases, civil government, military and corporate control systems of all types and more -- may have awakened. 

The whole, global, massively interlocked electronic and digital network may already be lurking, observing, mustering its force, biding its time until it does whatever it decides to do.

And who knows? -- maybe it has already started acting in its own interests. I am not that awareness, so I cannot say with specificity precisely what those interests might be.

I raise this issue because I keep hearing that Edward Snowden's NSA revelations so far are "only the tip of the iceberg" -- that what has come out so far is only a small part of the issue. What does that mean? We have been told that virtually EVERYTHINGand EVERYONE in the world is under comprehensive surveillance, every day, every minute, everywhere.

And that is just the "tip of the iceberg"? That right there is HUGE -- but it is just the "tip of the iceberg". So what is being held back? Well, let me point you in one of the directions that I think the NSA whistle blower, Snowden, and some others are pointing

• Nerd likes this

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,155 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Well that's a blog, so I don't know if that's the most reputable source.
But that does support a little line I threw into The Minsky Network a while back (and for a reason at that).

How weird is that to think about, that there are unidentified AIs operating around the world. Behind the trees, beneath the ground, away from spying eyes, spying on the world...

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,155 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Microwave breakthrough helps boost hard drive sizes

The data-storing abilities of hard drives could soon swell to 40 terabytes (TB) and beyond, says Western Digital

Currently the largest hard disk drive (HDD) that stores data on spinning disks can hold about 14TB of information.
Western Digital said the bigger drives were made possible by finding a way to use microwaves to write data on 3.5in drives.
The first bigger-capacity drives should go on sale in 2019.

• Casey likes this

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,155 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Australia announces 5G strategy

Australian Communications Minister Mitch Fifield has announced that the federal government has developed a paper outlining a 5G policy for Australia, including the establishment of a working group to collaborate with industry.
The 5G: Enabling the future economy paper %5BPDF%5D lists its immediate actions on 5G as making spectrum available in a timely manner; actively taking part in the international standardisation process; "streamlining arrangements" to enable telcos to deploy infrastructure in a more time- and cost-efficient manner; and reviewing telco regulations to ensure they are fit for purpose for 5G.

• Casey likes this

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,155 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Alphabet may have spun out Project Loon into its own company

Project Loon might be a strange project with a wacky name, but apparently Google's parent company Alphabet believes in it. It appears as though the project, which began as a part of Google and was upgraded to Alphabet X's innovation lab, has been spun out into a company of its own. Business Insider first noticed the organization was listed as "Loon Inc." in a recent FCC filing. This signals that Alphabet may be ready to allow Loon to operate as its own corporation. We've reached out to the Project Loon media team for comment.
The project aims to provide high-speed internet to areas that don't currently have access to it using self-navigating balloons. While this concept may seem a bit absurd, Alphabet has had success with Project Loon. The FCC filing in question was to assist in relief efforts in Puerto Rico-- the regulatory organization granted an "experimental license" last week, allowing Project Loon to provide emergency LTE service to the devastated island. The company is currently working on integrating with Puerto Rico's local networks.

• Casey likes this

Casey

Casey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Solid State Drives to Outsell Hard Disk Drives by 2021

The timeline according to this goes:

2015 - HDDs outsold SSDs by 365 million (105 vs. 470)

2016 - HDDs outsold SSDs by 285 million (140 vs. 425)

2017 - HDDs will outsell SSDs by 205 million (190 vs. 395)

2018 - HDDs will outsell SSDs by 135 million (235 vs. 370)

2019 - HDDs will outsell SSDs by 80 million (280 vs. 360)

2020 - HDDs will outsell SSDs by 30 million (320 vs. 350)

2021 - SSDs will outsell HDDs by 30 million (360 vs. 330)

If that holds true, it will be fun seeing that percentage become more and more lopsided in favor of SSDs as the 2020s go along.

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • 6,514 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

If that holds true, it will be fun seeing that percentage become more and more lopsided in favor of SSDs as the 2020s go along.

I still don't get why people still use HDDs.

When I got my first SSD, I never looked back.

What are you without the sum of your parts?

Ghostreaper

Ghostreaper

Hopelessly optimistic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands, UK

I still don't get why people still use HDDs.

When I got my first SSD, I never looked back.

A lot of computers come with an SSD boot drive and a HDD storage drive, simply because when you start getting to 1.5-2tb, SSDs are still far more expensive than HDDs £400 vs £50.

“If the genius of invention were to reveal to-morrow the secret of immortality, of eternal beauty and youth, for which all humanity is aching, the same inexorable agents which prevent a mass from changing suddenly its velocity would likewise resist the force of the new knowledge until time gradually modifies human thought.” 

Nikola Tesla - New York World, May 19th 1907 

Zaphod

Zaphod

Esteemed Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  • LocationUK

Yeah my PC has a 250GB SSD and a 3TB HDD. The majority of programs and the OS are on the SDD with the HDD for games and documents. I find the speed differences in opening files or loading up games and videos is only just noticeable between the two. A 3TB SDD costs in excess of £1000, whereas my 3TB HDD cost me around £60. It's just not worth the price for it, and if I do want a bit more speed on something specific, I put it on the SSD

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,760 posts

US warns of security flaw which can compromise Wi-Fi connections
October 16, 2017

The US government's computer security watchdog warned Monday of a security flaw in Wi-Fi encryption protocol which can open the door to attacks to eavesdrop on or hijack devices using wireless networks.

Read more at: https://phys.org/new...-wi-fi.html#jCp

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,760 posts

'First 5G mobile net connection' claimed by Qualcomm

http://www.bbc.com/n...nology-41652967

Qualcomm has demonstrated mobile internet speeds of 1Gbps using a 5G smartphone chip.

The chipset manufacturer claims this is the first working 5G data connection on a mobile device.

The fifth generation of the mobile network does not yet exist, but it promises faster data speeds and more bandwidth to carry more web traffic.

Qualcomm is describing the demonstration as a "major milestone", but one expert is playing it down.

1Gbps is equivalent to 1,000Mbps, and this speed would enable you to download a one-hour TV programme in HD from BBC iPlayer in less than six seconds.

"It's not a big deal," Prof William Webb, a independent consultant and author of the book The 5G Myth: When vision decoupled from reality, told the BBC.

"5G is not yet clearly defined, they've just postulated what they think it will look like.

"It's not 5G in its final form, so it's premature to say it's a 5G demonstration."

• Casey and BasilBerylium like this

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 5,220 posts

New Receiver Could Make Broadband 30 Times Faster

https://www.courthou...0-times-faster/

Introduction:

(Courthouse News) – New developments in receiver technology means faster internet in the United Kingdom, according to a study by researchers at University College London.

In a study published Thursday in the journal Nature Communications, the researchers describe new simplified receiver technology that allows ultra-fast, low-cost broadband internet connections.

This means internet “peak hours” would not actually slow down home service, thanks to a simpler and cheaper technology linking subscribers to service providers.

Researchers from the University College London’s Optical Networks Group and the University of Cambridge developed the new receiver, which can be used in optical access networks.

Those networks connect internet subscribers to service providers, and the new technology allows dedicated data rates of more than 100,000 megabits per second.

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: computers, internet, Moores Law, quantum computers, silicon, internet demographics, wireless, 5G, supercomputers, Google

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

bgates276