Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Transport & Infrastructure News and Discussions

transport infrastructure transportation high-speed rail aerotravel buildings sewage systems urban infrastructure rural infrastructure road networks

• Please log in to reply
609 replies to this topic

superexistence

superexistence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

That mine is really exciting, you can't stop the automation of all labour now. I love how the vid brushes aside such worries.

MarcZ

MarcZ

Chief Flying Car Critic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,241 posts
  • LocationCanada

The World's Most Fuel-Efficient Car Finally Comes To The U.S.  

The 261-mpg Volkswagen XL1 debuted this morning in Chattanooga, Tenn. http://www.popsci.co...inally-comes-us

This will probably be outside of most's price range for the time being. Apparently it costs like $146,000 U.S. to buy the European version of these, would have to greatly improve production lines to make more of these at cheaper prices.

EVanimations

EVanimations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,446 posts
  • LocationThe Eldritch Beyond

This is how you properly handle a potential PR disaster. Be honest and open.

On the Tesla Model S fire

• wjfox likes this

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,939 posts
  • LocationLondon

Siemens unveils proposal for future London Underground train

04 Oct 2013

UK: Siemens has unveiled a full-sized mock-up of the train which it intends to offer when Transport for London calls tenders for new fleets for London Underground's small-profile tube lines.

Part of Siemens' Inspiro family, the articulated design for London would feature wide through gangways, air-conditioning and an option for fully-automated operation.

http://www.railwayga...ound-train.html

Posted Image

• Zeitgeist123 and eacao like this

Cody930

Cody930

An Apple Pie from Scratch

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,509 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey, US

Tesla’s $110,000 Model S is now Norway’s best-selling car

October 8, 2013

Posted Image

Tesla Motor Inc.’s all-electric Model S became the top-selling car in Norway last month, with drivers in the country of 5 million people paying a premium to buy the award-winning luxury car second-hand to avoid having to wait five months for a new one, dealers said on Tuesday.

http://www.theglobea...rticle14739655/

• wjfox, Craven, Zeitgeist123 and 1 other like this

"Since we first emerged, a few million years ago in East Africa, we have meandered our way around the planet. There are now people on every continent and the remotest islands, from pole to pole, from Mount Everest to the Dead Sea, on the ocean bottoms and even, occasionally, in residence 200 miles up - humans, like the gods of old, living in the sky."

Origin Country

Origin Country

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationSan Angeles, New California

I'm really starting to see a lot of Teslas around. I saw four today, just parked on the street in San Francisco, it's very exciting. That new Volkswagon looks very promising too, though I can't help but think that it'd look a little more slick if it lost the skirts over the rear wheels.

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,628 posts

Mix of graphene nanoribbons, polymer has potential for cars, soda, beer

A discovery at Rice University aims to make vehicles that run on compressed natural gas more practical. It might also prolong the shelf life of bottled beer and soda.

The Rice lab of chemist James Tour has enhanced a polymer material to make it far more impermeable to pressurized gas and far lighter than the metal in tanks now used to contain the gas.

The combination could be a boon for an auto industry under pressure to market consumer cars that use cheaper natural gas. It could also find a market in food and beverage packaging.

Tour and his colleagues at Rice and in Hungary, Slovenia and India reported their results this week in the online edition of the American Chemistry Society journal ACS Nano.

Read more at: Mix of graphene nanoribbons, polymer has potential for cars, soda, beer

To follow my work on tropical cyclones

shane_allen

shane_allen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • LocationMinnesotta

I'm really starting to see a lot of Teslas around. I saw four today, just parked on the street in San Francisco, it's very exciting.

In Minneapolis, there's this car-sharing/renting sorta deal. The cars are those little 2 person electric cars.

Some of the public buses also are partial electric, though I don't know the details about that.

Very encouraging.

Check out /r/futuretimeline and voice you opinion on when various technologies will emerge.

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,628 posts

Aeromobil Flying car prototype gets off the ground for the first time
Aeromobil Flying car prototype gets off the ground for the first time

There is a saying in flying: “If it looks good, it will fly well.” Stefan Klein, a designer from the Slovak Republic, has announced the first flight of his Aeromobil Version 2.5, a flying car prototype he has been developing over the last 20 years. This vehicle is a strikingly beautiful design with folding wings and a propeller in the tail. But will its flight capabilities match its looks?

The Aeromobil V2.5 is a propeller-driven aircraft that also functions as an automobile – or you can think of it it a car with lofty aspirations. The aviation aspects seem to be prominent in the design, with a streamlined cockpit, super light weight, and sleek tail fins in the back. Propulsion is provided by a 100 hp Rotax 912 water cooled engine mounted behind the seats, with drive shafts leading both aft to the propeller and forward to the two front wheels for driving.

This project is not the only flying car around. There is also the US-based Terrafugia, which folds up its wings vertically on the sides of the vehicle. There is also a Dutch design called the PAL-V, where the ground vehicle is a three wheeled tilting motorcycle that turns into a gyrocopter at the airport.

http://www.gizmag.co...9448/pictures#6

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=ow6ybXBF9AU

The THIRD such flying car. Switch blade, terrafugia and now this...Sooner or later one of them will make it to the market. I'd be shocked if none of these makes it to market by 2020.

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • 6,507 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC
Elon Musk to make James Bond submarine car a reality

When the car-turned-submarine from the 007 classic "The Spy Who Loved Me" was sold at auction in September for nearly a million dollars, the identity of the buyer was kept secret, as it usually is in collector car auctions.

Thursday night, a Tesla Motors spokeswoman confirmed that the submarine, modeled after a Lotus sports car, had been bought by Tesla (TSLA) CEO Elon Musk.

Musk plans to take the movie prop and turn it into an actual car that transforms into a submarine, the very thing it was built to portray in the movie.

http://money.cnn.com....html?hpt=hp_c3

Posted Image

• H3llion likes this
What are you without the sum of your parts?

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • 6,060 posts
  • LocationRepublic of Jordan, 1 January 3025 C.E.

High-speed rail 'losers' revealed

19 October 2013

The areas that could lose out if a new north-to-south rail link is built have been revealed for the first time.

HS2 would make more than 50 places across the UK worse off - among them Aberdeen, Bristol and Cardiff - previously unseen research by accountants KPMG suggested.

The findings were only released in a freedom of information request passed to BBC Two's Newsnight programme.

But the 92-page document omitted data for those parts of the UK not on the proposed line which stand to be net losers from the project.

Economic output would be worst affected, according to the research, in:

• Aberdeenshire, Aberdeen City and Moray (-£220m)
  • Norfolk East (-£164m)
  • Dundee and Angus (-£96m)
  • Cardiff (-£68m)
  • Norfolk West (-£56m)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24589652

I want to go ahead of Father Time with a scythe of my own.

H. G. Wells

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • 6,060 posts
  • LocationRepublic of Jordan, 1 January 3025 C.E.

Germany delays EU limit on CO2 emissions from cars

15 October 2013

The German government has persuaded its EU partners to delay introducing new limits on CO2 emissions from cars.

Environment ministers agreed to revise a deal, reached in July, that set a limit of 95g per km for the average car. That target for CO2 emissions was to take effect in 2020.

But Germany, famous for its high-performance cars, says the 95g limit should not take full effect until 2024.

Green activists deplored the new delay as a "shameful sop" to polluters.

A leading German Green Party MEP, Rebecca Harms, accused Germany's Chancellor Angela Merkel of "riding roughshod" over the EU's democratic process, because the 2020 agreement had already been reached between the European Parliament and the Council - the EU ministerial grouping.

"Weakening the agreed 2020 limits, which have long been known, is a shameful sop to German car manufacturers and will slow the development of new technologies to deliver more efficient and less polluting cars," Ms Harms said after the ministers' vote.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...europe-24532284

I want to go ahead of Father Time with a scythe of my own.

H. G. Wells

Cody930

Cody930

• Moderators
  • 2,509 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey, US

Volvo makes new carbon fiber batteries into body panels for lighter, roomier and more efficient electric cars and hybrid cars

October 18, 2013

Posted Image

Volvo Car Group has developed a revolutionary concept for lightweight structural energy storage components that could improve the energy usage of future electrified vehicles. The material, consisting of carbon fibre, nano structured batteries and super capacitors, offers lighter energy storage that requires less space in the car, cost effective structure options and is eco-friendly.

http://nextbigfuture...-batteries.html

• Craven likes this

"Since we first emerged, a few million years ago in East Africa, we have meandered our way around the planet. There are now people on every continent and the remotest islands, from pole to pole, from Mount Everest to the Dead Sea, on the ocean bottoms and even, occasionally, in residence 200 miles up - humans, like the gods of old, living in the sky."

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,628 posts

Toyota details its Automated Highway Driving Assist system

The race to the car that drives itself continues to heat up. Automakers around the world are eager to tease their latest autonomous capabilities. Most recently, we've seen a self-parking system from Volvo and a glimpse at Nissan's plans. Last week, Toyota became the latest automaker to show its hand, providing a look at its Automated Highway Driving Assist, a feature that should be available within the next two or three years.

Toyota's Automated Highway Driving Assistant is a two-part system that takes over acceleration, deceleration and lane maintenance on highways. The AHDA system represents a more capable, next generation version of features that are available today. It is the latest marketable technology to come from Toyota's advanced active safety research vehicle.

Toyota details its Automated Highway Driving Assist system

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,628 posts

New autonomous security checkpoints can scan five people at once

Like it or not, passing through security is part of life nowadays. Whether you're headed to a sporting event, a theme park or hopping on a plane, passing through security is pretty much a given. In its current state, a security check can not only be a choke point, but can leave you feeling abused and manhandled by the horrific rogue's gallery of security employees venues see fit to employ.

A single airport security checkpoint, for instance, usually sports around seven disgruntled TSA agents sitting around and deriding travelers as they try to make their flight. While security concerns are a given, it's this sort of emotional assault that travelers can really do without. And thankfully a California-based security firm has a solution. They call it the Qylatron, and it's an autonomous, universal checkpoint that requires only a single security agent per gate.

New autonomous security checkpoints can scan five people at once | DVICE

Cody930

Cody930

• Moderators
  • 2,509 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey, US

8 States Join Forces to Promote Clean Cars

October 24, 2013

Posted Image

Eight states, including California and New York, pledged Thursday to work together to dramatically multiply the number of zero-emission cars on the nation's roads by speeding the construction of charging stations and other infrastructure.

The goal is to put 3.3 million battery-powered cars, plug-in hybrids and other clean-burning vehicles on the roads in those states by 2025. That's more than 15 times as many zero-emission vehicles projected to be in use in the entire U.S. by 2015.

http://bigstory.ap.o...n-vehicles-2025

• Raklian and tornado64 like this

Zeitgeist123

Zeitgeist123

• Members
  • 1,801 posts

The Printer That Can Print A 2,500 Square Foot House In 20 Hours.

http://www.industryt...n-20-hours/9056

video here: 

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=JdbJP8Gxqog

what got me particularly curious is at 8:11-8:42. i find the archietcture interesting. i've never seen such an ancient architecture looked so practical as a modern home. makes me want to have that kind of geometic structure for my future house.

“Philosophy is a pretty toy if one indulges in it with moderation at the right time of life. But if one pursues it further than one should, it is absolute ruin." - Callicles to Socrates

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,628 posts

Breakthrough in study of aluminum to yield new technological advances

Researchers at Oregon State University and the University of Oregon today announced a scientific advance that has eluded researchers for more than 100 years – a platform to fully study and understand the aqueous chemistry of aluminum, one of the world's most important metals.

The findings, reported in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, should open the door to significant advances in electronics and many other fields, ranging from manufacturing to construction, agriculture and drinking water treatment.

Aluminum, in solution with water, affects the biosphere, hydrosphere, geosphere and anthrosphere, the scientists said in their report. It may be second only to iron in its importance to human civilization. But for a century or more, and despite the multitude of products based on it, there has been no effective way to explore the enormous variety and complexity of compounds that aluminum forms in water.

Now there is.

"This integrated platform to study aqueous aluminum is a major scientific advance," said Douglas Keszler, a distinguished professor of chemistry in the OSU College of Science, and director of the Center for Sustainable Materials Chemistry.

"Research that can be done with the new platform should have important technological implications," Keszler said. "Now we can understand aqueous aluminum clusters, see what's there, how the atomic structure is arranged."

Chong Fang, an assistant professor of chemistry in the OSU College of Science, called the platform "a powerful new toolset." It's a way to synthesize aqueous aluminum clusters in a controlled way; analyze them with new laser techniques; and use computational chemistry to interpret the results. It's simple and easy to use, and may be expanded to do research on other metal atoms.

Read more at: Breakthrough in study of aluminum to yield new technological advances

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,939 posts
  • LocationLondon

HS2 gets government backing -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24753394

Timeline entry - http://www.futuretim...tm#hs2-timeline

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,628 posts

SkyRunner car goes off-road and off-ground

Back in 2008, we heard about a parasail-equipped dune buggy, known as the Parajet Skycar. It could scramble over rough ground like a true off-roader, but then take to the skies when needed. One epic 6,000-km (3,728-mile) drive/flight from London to Tombouctou later, its creators got some ideas about how the design could be improved. The result is the lighter, better-flying and less-polluting SkyRunner – and you can order one now
SkyRunner car goes off-road and off-ground

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: transport, infrastructure, transportation, high-speed rail, aerotravel, buildings, sewage systems, urban infrastructure, rural infrastructure, road networks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users