Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Post Image that represents your idea of the Future

• Please log in to reply
165 replies to this topic

WithoutCoincidence

WithoutCoincidence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts
  • LocationSomewhere above Zero Latitude.

Bullets, maybe. High energy lasers traveling at the speed of light or whatever nonsense we come up with... not so much.

The universe has gone from unimaginable, featureless heat to complexity and it will return in time to unimaginable, featureless cold.

-Chris Impey, How It Ends

EVanimations

EVanimations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,446 posts
  • LocationThe Eldritch Beyond

^^^ Giant freaking swords are your vision of the future? Why would we need those? Well, maybe the Japanese military would use them...

As some of you may know, my series takes place in at least 4 different settings in the future separated by space and time. I won't post concept art for all of them, but here's my favorite background.

Here's an interior of some kind of structure.

Posted Image

As time goes on we consistently see that the pop cultural vision of the future is most often inaccurate, and the aesthetic that embodies a "futuristic" feel to one generation becomes "retro" to the next.

Generally people believe the future will look white and grey, with hard angles. I at least tried to defy that a little, but probably ended up making something just as unlikely to happen.

• SG-1 likes this

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,825 posts
  • Locationwhere fanciful imaginings and hard won knowledge meet to genesis the future.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Live content within small means. Seek elegance rather than luxury, Grace over fashion and wealth over riches.
Listen to clouds and mountains, children and sages. Act bravely, think boldly.
Await occasions, never make haste. Find wonder and awe, by experiencing the everyday.

rtardx

rtardx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts
^^^ Giant freaking swords are your vision of the future? Why would we need those? Well, maybe the Japanese military would use them...

As some of you may know, my series takes place in at least 4 different settings in the future separated by space and time. I won't post concept art for all of them, but here's my favorite background.

Here's an interior of some kind of structure.

Posted Image

As time goes on we consistently see that the pop cultural vision of the future is most often inaccurate, and the aesthetic that embodies a "futuristic" feel to one generation becomes "retro" to the next.

Generally people believe the future will look white and grey, with hard angles. I at least tried to defy that a little, but probably ended up making something just as unlikely to happen.

It seems very alien-like.

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • 2,825 posts
  • Locationwhere fanciful imaginings and hard won knowledge meet to genesis the future.

Posted Image

Live content within small means. Seek elegance rather than luxury, Grace over fashion and wealth over riches.
Await occasions, never make haste. Find wonder and awe, by experiencing the everyday.

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,190 posts

Posted Image

Posted Image

• illykitty, Futurist and Unity like this

Lily

Lily

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts
  • LocationBerlin

Great point. Does anyone care enough about this to discuss it? :) One reason why we envision our future as white, blueish or greyish in coulour might be because it seems much less dirty. If you think back to the middle ages, a time we consider filthy and barbaric, we think of dark, brownish colours.

What do you guys think?

"All scientific advancement due to intellegence overcoming, compensating, for limitations. Can't carry a load, so invent wheel. Can't catch food, so invent spear. Limitations. No limitations, no advancement. No advancement, culture stagnates. Works other way too. Advancement before culture is ready. Disastrous."

There's definitely truth in that...

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,512 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Anyone noticed all of the pictures include the best possible weather conditions? :)

How about picking one with raining conditions? Winter?

I very much doubt we'll achieve global weather control in the near future so our surroundings get to be Eden-like.

What are you without the sum of your parts?

WithoutCoincidence

WithoutCoincidence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts
  • LocationSomewhere above Zero Latitude.

wj's isn't exactly a good weather condition...

• IzzyIngleby likes this

The universe has gone from unimaginable, featureless heat to complexity and it will return in time to unimaginable, featureless cold.

-Chris Impey, How It Ends

rtardx

rtardx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Ev's honestly the future looks terrible.

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,512 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC
Ev's honestly the future looks terrible.

Well, a different perspective will do you good... imagine this place an indoor playground for kids and outside is very bright and sunny. :)

What are you without the sum of your parts?

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • 2,825 posts
Posted Image

Posted Image

honestly this is far more realistic, thought I think it's too clean and bright. I feel like it would be a bit more like a cross between these and Posted Image

maybe with a bit of the fifth element scenes from the airport or Corbin Dallas' apartment building.

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • 2,825 posts

I'd say the reasons that future images tend to crisp and bright is that of psychology. Not all images of the future are like that, it only usually comes up when people are asked what advances the future will bring. It preselects a visual bias by using words like advances we are put in the mind of 'what do we hope for' which brings out the utopia ideas and that means our unconscious won't usually brand the future with dirty and grime and constant drizzle.

If you were to ask what kinds of struggles do you think we will face in the future, the images we'd get will be dark noir with wet surfaces from a pervasive drizzle and sickly steam leaks that mold over. light sources will be graphic displays that cast a sickly green or red (colors of venom or danger in some things) highlights.

rtardx

rtardx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts
I'd say the reasons that future images tend to crisp and bright is that of psychology. Not all images of the future are like that, it only usually comes up when people are asked what advances the future will bring. It preselects a visual bias by using words like advances we are put in the mind of 'what do we hope for' which brings out the utopia ideas and that means our unconscious won't usually brand the future with dirty and grime and constant drizzle.

If you were to ask what kinds of struggles do you think we will face in the future, the images we'd get will be dark noir with wet surfaces from a pervasive drizzle and sickly steam leaks that mold over. light sources will be graphic displays that cast a sickly green or red (colors of venom or danger in some things) highlights.

Yeah, Humans never seem to have the luxury of focusing aesthetics in the future I get what you're saying, Something like the lower levels of coruscant.

Posted Image

But, Ev's was just ridiculous. In this pic you can see two humanoids warming up next to fire in the lower left.

Edited by rtardx, 26 June 2013 - 04:50 AM.

bee14ish

bee14ish

Psionic Reality-Warping God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Unity likes this

bee14ish

bee14ish

Psionic Reality-Warping God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted Image  (Underwater city)

Posted Image (Another one)

Lily

Lily

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts
  • LocationBerlin

Where's that first picture from, eacao?

"All scientific advancement due to intellegence overcoming, compensating, for limitations. Can't carry a load, so invent wheel. Can't catch food, so invent spear. Limitations. No limitations, no advancement. No advancement, culture stagnates. Works other way too. Advancement before culture is ready. Disastrous."

There's definitely truth in that...

Shinryuu

Shinryuu

Nyxist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationVoid
Posted Image  (Underwater city)
I sure hope that Rapture never happens.

"I chooseth this fate of mine own free will."

wjfox