Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Flexible phone made from electronic paper to debut

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Caiman

Caiman

Administratus Extremus

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts
  • LocationManchester, England
Another step on the path to computers/displays becoming so ubiquitous they may really start to become unrecognisable in a few short years?

http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-13308452

A prototype flexible smartphone made of electronic paper has been created by Canadian researchers.

The PaperPhone can do all the things bulkier smartphones can do such as make and take calls, send messages, play music or display e-books.

The gadget triggers different functions and features when bent, folded and flexed at its corners or sides.

"Everything is going to look and feel like this within five years," said creator Dr Roel Vertegaal.

The device emerged from a collaboration between researchers at the Human Media Lab at Queen's University, Canada and Arizona State University's Motivational Environments Research group.

"This computer looks, feels and operates like a small sheet of interactive paper," said Dr Vertegaal in a statement. "You interact with it by bending it into a cell phone, flipping the corner to turn pages, or writing on it with a pen."

The millimetres thick prototype is built from the same e-ink technology found in Amazon's Kindle e-book reader and this is bonded to flex sensors and a touchscreen that interprets drawings and text written on it.

The prototype was created in order to investigate how easy it is for people to use bending and flexing to control such a device. The early version is connected to a laptop to interpret and record the ways test subjects flexed it.

Dr Vertegaal predicted that widespread use of larger versions of the PaperPhone might make the paperless office a reality.

The PaperPhone prototype will be on display on 10 May at the Computer Human Interaction conference in Vancouver.

At the same show the research team plan to show off a device they called the Snaplet. This device takes on different functions depending on how it is worn and bent.

The wristband is a watch when convex, a PDA when flat and a phone when concave.

~Jon

wizzard

wizzard

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Yeah seen this, looks like a great idea.

Nom du Clavier

Nom du Clavier

Brain in a body-shaped jar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Location/dev/random

Another step on the path to computers/displays becoming so ubiquitous they may really start to become unrecognisable in a few short years?

http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-13308452

I can really see it taking off, this technology. However the creator's assumption this will finally herald the paperless office I'm more than a bit skeptical about.
This amount of awesome cannot be from concentrate.

Caiman

Caiman

Administratus Extremus

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts
  • LocationManchester, England
'The Paperless Office' will probably never happen. People love hard copies. This type of stuff, coupled with the advances in eInk technology, may well in time come to take the place of paper, as the materials needed to fabricate it becomes as cheap as making a piece of paper, but whereever it goes I imagine paper is with us for a while yet.
~Jon

Nom du Clavier

Nom du Clavier

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Location/dev/random

'The Paperless Office' will probably never happen. People love hard copies. This type of stuff, coupled with the advances in eInk technology, may well in time come to take the place of paper, as the materials needed to fabricate it becomes as cheap as making a piece of paper, but whereever it goes I imagine paper is with us for a while yet.

I think you've nailed the head on its hit there, Jonno.

CamGoldenGun

CamGoldenGun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • LocationFort McMurray, AB. Canada.
Paper is really starting to take a back seat where I work (in a hospital). The push is to get everything on paper digitized and all new data input is all digitized immediately and a paper hard copy is given out for quick reference. If something like this can be cheap enough to give every patient in a hospital for their charting, I can see it being a hit in other areas (think Star Trek PADD). As for the current testing for it to be a flexible phone - I don't think that will take off. It has to be attached to a solid battery at this point so it's really just a flexible page attached to a solid object like the plastic in your wallet for your ID.

OrbitalResonance

OrbitalResonance

Cosmic Emperor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts
  • LocationDeep Space
Plus Dunder Mifflin would go out of business =D

We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers. - Carl Sagan

Nom du Clavier

Nom du Clavier

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Location/dev/random

Plus Dunder Mifflin would go out of business =D

Which at this point would be a blessing. They should've called it quits after Pam+Jim's wedding. ;)
  • CamGoldenGun likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users