Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

When do you think that all human diseases and pathologies will be cured?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

Member Since August 23 /2010

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,465 posts

If singularity happens my guess goes around 2250. what do you guys think?

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Futurist

Futurist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,276 posts
  • LocationSouthern California, United States of America, Planet Earth

Maybe around 2500, or even later than that. Some human diseases are pretty rare or even very rare, so we are probably not going to focus on treating and later curing these diseases before we dealt with the more widespread diseases (first).

Edited by Futurist, 14 July 2013 - 08:13 AM.

• FutureOfToday likes this

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • 11,465 posts
Maybe around 2500, or even later than that. Some human diseases are pretty rare or even very rare, so we are probably not going to focus on treating and later curing these diseases before we dealt with the more widespread diseases (first).

what about if you replace cells by cells in one body part or an organ? would this disease still be an issue?

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,576 posts
  • LocationLondon
Maybe around 2500

That is laughably pessimistic.

• Italian Ufo, Raklian and Futurist like this

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • 11,465 posts

Imagine after 2060, millions of computers doing research on human bodies daily and 24 hours a day. imagine!  and imagine these computers become 100s of times smarter than humans and assimilating all the human literature at the touch of the bottom. To me 2200-2250 or so we can do what ever we want with our bodies and cure diseases and perform surgeries at home.

MarcZ

MarcZ

Chief Flying Car Critic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,141 posts
  • LocationCanada

I'm going to be the dissenting voice here and say never. I feel that most diseases probably evolve too quickly for us to ever cure them all, there will always be some major diseases that can affect people. Though I assume the percentage of the population with these diseases will be much, much lower than it is now.

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,576 posts
  • LocationLondon
I'm going to be the dissenting voice here and say never. I feel that most diseases probably evolve too quickly for us to ever cure them all, there will always be some major diseases that can affect people. Though I assume the percentage of the population with these diseases will be much, much lower than it is now.

How could diseases "evolve too quickly" when entire global networks of AI, quantum computers and digitised medicine could decode and simulate them almost instantly? You realise that progress for information technology is exponential? In the next century or two, computers will be trillions and trillions and trillions of times more powerful than now - even if Moore's Law tails off - since cloud computing will continue to expand, including vast networks beyond Earth. There will come a point when literally every possible combination of interactions between humans and diseases has been accounted for, and curing a disease will be achieved in less than a second.

• Italian Ufo likes this

MarcZ

MarcZ

Chief Flying Car Critic

• Members
  • 2,141 posts
  • LocationCanada

How could diseases "evolve too quickly" when entire global networks of AI, quantum computers and digitised medicine could decode and simulate them almost instantly? You realise that progress for information technology is exponential? In the next century or two, computers will be trillions and trillions and trillions of times more powerful than now - even if Moore's Law tails off - since cloud computing will continue to expand, including vast networks beyond Earth. There will come a point when literally every possible combination of interactions between humans and diseases has been accounted for, and curing a disease will be achieved in less than a second.

Computers are still based off of models of currently known diseases, it is quite forseeable, there may be diseases that appear that are entirely alien to us, or that defy how computers believe diseases can function. So no, I don't think we will ever completely cure all diseases, the amount of diseases will just become extremely small. 

FallenPears

FallenPears

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationUK

I honestly think the end of this century is possible if we play our cards right, i cant imagine anything today being able to effectively stand up to nano tech and genetic engineering when we get to a certain point, but who knows, maybe some will adapt to become immune to nano tech in the same way they can be immune to anti biotics today. I don't even know if that is possible but i guess we will see.

Futurist

Futurist

• Members
  • 4,276 posts

what about if you replace cells by cells in one body part or an organ? would this disease still be an issue?

No, but as Marc Z said, couldn't other diseases evolve?

Futurist

Futurist

• Members
  • 4,276 posts
Maybe around 2500

That is laughably pessimistic.

I would love to be wrong on this one. Of course, I am not an expert on this topic/in this field, so yeah.

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • 4,672 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

We will cure at least 85% of all known diseases by 2030. It is a very safe bet.

Remember, we are starting to see pathology as an information technology which, like wjfox said, accelerates exponentially.

What are you without the sum of your parts?

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • 11,465 posts

Remember, we are starting to see pathology as an information technology which, like wjfox said, accelerates exponentially.

Yeah but what about postural problems, rheumatoid conditions I don't think in 2030 we will get them cured of the 85%. that's way too optimistic

Edited by Italian Ufo, 14 July 2013 - 09:32 PM.

• SG-1 likes this

SG-1

SG-1

Carpe Vitam

• Members
  • 3,596 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas

LOL there is no way we will cure 80% of all diseases in just 17 years.

Mark your calendars

Never Yield

SG-1

SG-1

Carpe Vitam

• Members
  • 3,596 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas

No, technology is helping us, but the medical field is not an information technology yet.

In my opinion it can't ever be until robots do the research and experiments.  

EDIT: You can't just say everything you use with technology is exponential.  Also, we aren't merged with technology yet.  It will take a long time before we can make humans artificial.  At that point it may not be in our interest to cure diseases.

Edited by SG-1, 14 July 2013 - 10:48 PM.

Mark your calendars

Never Yield

Frizz

Frizz

Keep calm and persevere <3

• Members
  • 1,936 posts
  • Locationsomewhere over the rainbow <3
2100-2150 there will be very effective treatments for most major illnesses and by 2300 a cure for most diseases.

A woman strolling in a garden. She is unaware that she is being watched by elves.  <3 <3 frizz <3

OunknnownO

OunknnownO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

never

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • 11,465 posts