Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

When will people accept 100% the LGBT community?

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

Poll: When will people accept 100% the LGBT community? (30 member(s) have cast votes)

When will people (from developed countries) accept 100% the LGBT community?

1. In 10-20 years (3 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

2. By 2050 (3 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

3. By 2100 (14 votes [46.67%])

Percentage of vote: 46.67%

4. Never (10 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Jared

Jared

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts
lol not for a long time. Let's try and deal with racism first.

There's a good bit of anti-white racism to deal with, but I think "we" should deal with statism first.

• Italian Ufo likes this

Zeitgeist123

Zeitgeist123

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts

i believe that by 10-20 years, people will be more tolerant and accepting of the gays. but i voted 2050 as a modest estiimate.

“Philosophy is a pretty toy if one indulges in it with moderation at the right time of life. But if one pursues it further than one should, it is absolute ruin." - Callicles to Socrates

JesseBrandon

JesseBrandon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Voted for "never". "Being tolerated" and "being fully accepted" are two different things. Naturals feels rejection to homosexuals, and this reaction is instinctive and hardcoded, despite all beatiful words about tolerance, political correctness and so on.

WTF? See, these are the kind of homophobic comments that our society needs to get rid of. Seriously, go away. 

JesseBrandon

JesseBrandon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts
transgender people being able to officially change their gender easily without needing any surgeries or hormones

Why would a transgender person not want to do these things, though?

No, I mean of course most of them would want to, but AFAIK, the whole transition process takes 2 - 5 years, and in most countries, transgender people won't have their gender officially changed in papers until they have completed the whole process, which isn't fair cos it takes so much time, effort and money. Recently, Argentina passed a law which allows everybody to change their gender without the surgery/hormones requisites (but they can undertake those if they choose, obviously), and not needing to state that they have a mental disorder. I think this is the most advanced it can get, but that's only 1 country. When would this law pass in ALL developed countries?

I agree with most of you that maybe by 2100 or later, but honestly, I think the "never" option is too pessimistic. I do think, however, that by 2050, all or most of the US states will allow same-sex marriage and adoption, and by then there will surely be much more tolerance towards LGBT people. Maybe not 100%, that would be wishful thinking I'm afraid, but developing countries aside (some of which still have death and jail penalties, I mean seriously?), I think we're definitely making progress quickly. 

Quick question: do you think future technology will allow faster transitions for transgenders? Saw this thread and researched it, even watched some videos, I'm just curious. 

That's a very interesting question. I do hope so, but I'm not a professional in that regard so I can't know for sure. However, as health matters and technology are progressing quickly, it's very likely that the transition process for transgender people will become easier, safer and faster in the (hopefully near) future. 

Jared

Jared

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Voted for "never". "Being tolerated" and "being fully accepted" are two different things. Naturals feels rejection to homosexuals, and this reaction is instinctive and hardcoded, despite all beatiful words about tolerance, political correctness and so on.

WTF? See, these are the kind of homophobic comments that our society needs to get rid of. Seriously, go away. 

Homophobia is not real.  You can tell gays feel insecure about their sexuality by the way they delude themselves into thinking that everyone who doesn't like them is afraid of them.

TheComrade

TheComrade

BANNED

• Banned
  • 2,642 posts
^I see you have 2 posts and are already making homophobic comments. We're not trolling today, are we?

Trolling? I just voted voted a certain way and then explained why.

And where did you find this "homophobia" in my comment? There is no "phobia", just the naked fact: heterosexual couples can make children while homosexual couples can only adopt them. Pure biology, nothing more :)

TheComrade

TheComrade

BANNED

• Banned
  • 2,642 posts

Oh, really? "our society needs to get rid...go away..." since very beginning??? Damn, this orwellian thing i never expected to see here. But AS YOU WISH. If many of you feels this way, then just delete my damn account for god's sake... but then at least also delete "never" option in poll.

Casey

Casey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

If you want to be anal about it, I suppose 'Never' would be the most accurate answer since pretty much everything in the world is hated by someone out there. If you don't want to be anal, I think things will be moderately better 10-20 years from now, significantly better by 2050, and that between 2050 and 2100, the number of people prejudiced against the LGBT community will dwindle to the point of being quite rare.

• IzzyIngleby likes this

JesseBrandon

JesseBrandon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Oh, really? "our society needs to get rid...go away..." since very beginning??? Damn, this orwellian thing i never expected to see here. But AS YOU WISH. If many of you feels this way, then just delete my damn account for god's sake... but then at least also delete "never" option in poll.

The "never" option is not meant for your reasons (aka homophobia, and that doesn't necessarily mean "fear", but also hatred, intolerance and nonacceptance, which you clearly stated in your first comment, so yes, you are indeed being homophobic), but rather because some people may think that anti-gay movements and discrimination towards LGBT people will always exist, even if just a small percentage, meaning that LGBT people might never be 100% accepted. If you think that they shouldn't, either, then you honestly need to go away. I won't tolerate homophobia in my own damn thread. The same goes for you, Jared. 

Lily

Lily

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts
  • LocationBerlin
Homophobia is not real.  You can tell gays feel insecure about their sexuality by the way they delude themselves into thinking that everyone who doesn't like them is afraid of them.

It's not about fear or anything. He probably isn't using the word homophobe to say that you are actually afraid of gays; it's more like this:

Homophobia encompasses a range of negative attitudes and feelings toward homosexuality or people who are identified or perceived as being lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender (LGBT). It can be expressed as antipathy, contempt, prejudice, aversion, or hatred, may be based on irrational fear, and is sometimes related to religious beliefs. from wikipedia

It's about people that insult you for who you are, for a fraction of your personality which you didn't choose in the first place. Being called perverted and gross, compared to paedophiles and generally outcast because of this can lead to a certain feeling of frustration. Of course, gay people want to be accepted and everything, but sometimes, not being hated on would be a great first step - and considering some people I've met, that would suffice. You don't have to love gays, but please don't hate on them.

There is no "phobia", just the naked fact: heterosexual couples can make children while homosexual couples can only adopt them. Pure biology, nothing more

That's very true, they can't reproduce, but why should that create animosity from heterosexual couples? You could also argue that there's less competition if gays exist. I think what you want to say is that gays reduce our species reproductive success in general, but is that enough to generate hatred? You are saying it's inherently ingrained within - I don't think so, dunno. A quick question: If your hypothesis is correct, why is there generally seen more hatred towards gay men than lesbian women? [There's both, I have seen that myself, but in general]. Gay men are competition for straight men which isn't dangerous to them anymore. It's actually two males less to compete against. Two woman, on the other hand... that's two women who can't bear any children! A single man can impregnate several women, but it doesn't help the other way around. So... why is there generally more acceptance?

That being said, I think parents of homosexuals and transgender individuals are always going to have a have a hard time dealing with likelihood of not having biological grandchildren from their child.

The thought of not getting any grandchildren is a very common concern and cause for bad reaction to a child's coming out. It's hard to accept, and it causes a lot of resentment. That being said, a lot of homosexual/transgender individuals still have a deep wish to have children and seek ways to make that dream become reality. There are ways gays can have children - biologically their own. Being gay does not exclude children in your future, not anymore.

Personally though, I never felt any urge or wish to have children at all, and there are heterosexual men and women who feel exactly the same.

Edited by Lily, 17 August 2013 - 10:26 PM.

• IzzyIngleby and Futurist like this

"All scientific advancement due to intellegence overcoming, compensating, for limitations. Can't carry a load, so invent wheel. Can't catch food, so invent spear. Limitations. No limitations, no advancement. No advancement, culture stagnates. Works other way too. Advancement before culture is ready. Disastrous."

There's definitely truth in that...

Jared

Jared

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

The "never" option is not meant for your reasons (aka homophobia, and that doesn't necessarily mean "fear", but also hatred, intolerance and nonacceptance, which you clearly stated in your first comment, so yes, you are indeed being homophobic), but rather because some people may think that anti-gay movements and discrimination towards LGBT people will always exist, even if just a small percentage, meaning that LGBT people might never be 100% accepted. If you think that they shouldn't, either, then you honestly need to go away. I won't tolerate homophobia in my own damn thread. The same goes for you, Jared. 

Phobia, correctly used, means fear.  The reason people use it for general dislike is because they wish to make dislike/nonacceptance seem irrational, fearful, and pathetic.  It's a political redefinition of a word, used to dishonest ends.

And really, you won't tolerate us in your thread?  What are you going to do about it?  Such self-righteous arrogance is typical of a homophile.

Edited by Jared, 17 August 2013 - 11:17 PM.

Jared

Jared

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

It's not about fear or anything. He probably isn't using the word homophobe to say that you are actually afraid of gays; it's more like this:

Homophobia encompasses a range of negative attitudes and feelings toward homosexuality or people who are identified or perceived as being lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender (LGBT). It can be expressed as antipathy, contempt, prejudice, aversion, or hatred, may be based on irrational fear, and is sometimes related to religious beliefs. from wikipedia

It's about people that insult you for who you are, for a fraction of your personality which you didn't choose in the first place. Being called perverted and gross, compared to paedophiles and generally outcast because of this can lead to a certain feeling of frustration. Of course, gay people want to be accepted and everything, but sometimes, not being hated on would be a great first step - and considering some people I've met, that would suffice. You don't have to love gays, but please don't hate on them.

There is no "phobia", just the naked fact: heterosexual couples can make children while homosexual couples can only adopt them. Pure biology, nothing more

That's very true, they can't reproduce, but why should that create animosity from heterosexual couples? You could also argue that there's less competition if gays exist. I think what you want to say is that gays reduce our species reproductive success in general, but is that enough to generate hatred? You are saying it's inherently ingrained within - I don't think so, dunno. A quick question: If your hypothesis is correct, why is there generally seen more hatred towards gay men than lesbian women? [There's both, I have seen that myself, but in general]. Gay men are competition for straight men which isn't dangerous to them anymore. It's actually two males less to compete against. Two woman, on the other hand... that's two women who can't bear any children! A single man can impregnate several women, but it doesn't help the other way around. So... why is there generally more acceptance?

That being said, I think parents of homosexuals and transgender individuals are always going to have a have a hard time dealing with likelihood of not having biological grandchildren from their child.

The thought of not getting any grandchildren is a very common concern and cause for bad reaction to a child's coming out. It's hard to accept, and it causes a lot of resentment. That being said, a lot of homosexual/transgender individuals still have a deep wish to have children and seek ways to make that dream become reality. There are ways gays can have children - biologically their own. Being gay does not exclude children in your future, not anymore.

Personally though, I never felt any urge or wish to have children at all, and there are heterosexual men and women who feel exactly the same.

I don't go out of my way to "hate on" gays, but when they start ridiculous threads and complain incessantly about how people still, for some incomprehensible reason, find them disgusting, I generally speak up.

And comparing gays to pedophiles is perfectly logical, even if you find it offensive.  Pedophiles (as far as I know of, at least in most cases) can't control their sexual pervertedness either, so why use that as an excuse?  I really don't see the difference.  Yes, pedophilic sex is harmful to children.  But from the perspective of the homosexual/pedophile, what's the difference?  They both have an abnormal (I would say perverted) sexuality that they can't control.  It's a perfectly valid comparison.

I believe lesbians are generally more accepted than gay males because males think they're hot.

Casey

Casey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts
Phobia, correctly used, means fear.  The reason people use it for general dislike is because they wish to make dislike/nonacceptance seem irrational, fearful, and pathetic.  It's a political redefinition of a word, used to dishonest ends

'Phobic' might or might not be an accurate descriptor, but that's irrelevant in the greater scheme of things - the bottom line being that disliking or even hating someone when you have no legitimate reason to, people that might be perfectly decent and kindhearted and never do a thing to hurt anyone, is pretty douchey. "I hate that guy because it's gross when dudes make out" is, in fact, irrational.

• Thaizasaskand likes this

Thaizasaskand

Thaizasaskand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Homophobia sounds like it means fear of homosexuals, though it is what Lily's Wikipedia quote described. Like how anti-semitism means being against Jews, even though analysis of the term would suggest hatred of anybody who speaks semitic languages (which includes, but is not limited to, native speakers of Arabic, Amharic and Hebrew).

As for your comment about homosexuals feeling insecure about their sexuality: where do you get this impression? As far as I'm aware (I am speaking in part from personal experience), pretty much nobody in the gay community would agree with what you say. Most homophobes in England are as such because they are of a socially-conservative mindset, follow a religion which condemns homosexuality, do not consider them masculine enough (generally, these are the ones who use homophobic insults, in quite a few cases not just directed at homosexuals, to buff up their masculinity) or otherwise do not like the idea of two men in bed with each other and are arrogant enough that they believe the poor opinion of homosexuality justifies them criticising those who fit that criterion.

Please get your facts right if you are going to make such big statements about how people feel. If it was a common misconception, then it would be understandable. I've never heard such sh*te in my life, however, so I suggest that you go and do your research before making such bold statements.

Jared

Jared

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Homophobia sounds like it means fear of homosexuals, though it is what Lily's Wikipedia quote described. Like how anti-semitism means being against Jews, even though analysis of the term would suggest hatred of anybody who speaks semitic languages (which includes, but is not limited to, native speakers of Arabic, Amharic and Hebrew).

As for your comment about homosexuals feeling insecure about their sexuality: where do you get this impression? As far as I'm aware (I am speaking in part from personal experience), pretty much nobody in the gay community would agree with what you say. Most homophobes in England are as such because they are of a socially-conservative mindset, follow a religion which condemns homosexuality, do not consider them masculine enough (generally, these are the ones who use homophobic insults, in quite a few cases not just directed at homosexuals, to buff up their masculinity) or otherwise do not like the idea of two men in bed with each other and are arrogant enough that they believe the poor opinion of homosexuality justifies them criticising those who fit that criterion.

Please get your facts right if you are going to make such big statements about how people feel. If it was a common misconception, then it would be understandable. I've never heard such sh*te in my life, however, so I suggest that you go and do your research before making such bold statements.

It's not a common misconception, it's common sense.  Phobia means fear.  There is no fear.  It is an intentionally misleading term.

Anti-Semitism is also a stupid term.  It's especially idiotic when applied to Arabs, as it often is.  Anti-Semitic Arabs?  Lol.  Let's stop using both of those terms.  I don't know why anti-Semitism means what it does, but the answer is pretty clear for homophobia- the people who created and use the term wish to paint dislike of homosexuals as irrational and fearful, when it generally is not.

And I can dislike whomever I want.  Get over yourself and stop whining about how people don't like you.

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,118 posts
lol not for a long time. Let's try and deal with racism first.

What do you consider racism? Pointing out solutions for crime and ways to improve a community certainly isn't racism....Racism is going around beating up people for the color of ones skin color....

Every race has racist and people that don't like others. I believe it is better to show good deeds towards others and not rub a populations nose into it. That normally causes more hatred.

Edited by Matthew, 18 August 2013 - 01:03 AM.

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,118 posts

Who knows about the question of this thread. Every culture is different...

Islamic places like the middle east could take 200-300 years to accept it.

Brohanne Jahms

Brohanne Jahms

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Probably when Abrahamic religions no longer exist.

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas

I know it will be never because i hate gay people.

just kidding, I hope so, but you can't be 100% on anything

Hey.  Stop reading.  The post is over.

Jared

Jared

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Probably when Abrahamic religions no longer exist.

Exactly.  So never.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users