Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Calling all web designers!

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,939 posts
  • LocationLondon

I'm planning a major redesign of the main FutureTimeline site.

I also hope to integrate its design with the forthcoming PastTimeline.net, so they follow a similar style.

Is there anyone here with experience in web design/development who'd be interested in helping out? I already have one person who's contacted me about this - but it's such a huge project, I could use some input from other people.

Ideally I'm looking for skills in JavaScript/HTML5/CSS or anything else that can provide a more "dynamic" and interactive feel to the site (it's far too static at the moment). Graphic desigers are also welcome as we'll need a new logo, etc.

Please list your skills/experience and provide any URLs you've worked on. Thanks!

• Sciencerocks and ddmkm122 like this

EVanimations

EVanimations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,446 posts
  • LocationThe Eldritch Beyond

My time to shine! Here are a few of my skills:

• Illustration and drawing, which pretty much forms the foundation of my skillset.
  • Animation, good for animated stuff if you so desire.
  • Graphic design, I'd be more than happy to design logos for you!
  • 3D graphics, I'm still learning but it would be good practice. My avatar was made in 3DS Max.
  • Conceptual art, just to help you visualize things.

I have no experience in programming or web design, but I'd be more than happy to help with any artistic flair you may need.

EDIT: Here's an example of some 3D animation for a Broadcast Graphics course last quarter.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-S6D0RJnGio"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-S6D0RJnGio[/url]

PM me if you're interested.

Edited by EVanimations, 19 August 2013 - 06:51 PM.

• wjfox, Italian Ufo, TransAustin and 2 others like this

WithoutCoincidence

WithoutCoincidence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts
  • LocationSomewhere above Zero Latitude.

My only experience with web design is a one-semester High School course using Notepad++. Sorry.

The universe has gone from unimaginable, featureless heat to complexity and it will return in time to unimaginable, featureless cold.

-Chris Impey, How It Ends

10gamerguy

10gamerguy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA, North America, Earth

Wow, 2 ways I could have helped, but I can't at the moment. I could draw an idea for the front page, but you seem to have that already. And I'm taking a Tech/Computer course this year, so if you asked in 10 months or so, I might have been able to help.

Edited by 10gamerguy, 19 August 2013 - 09:40 PM.

I want mah virtual reality!

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas

I took some programming classes and a few web design courses, but I was never interested so I can't be of any help.

If you want, I can write a "hello, world" program for you! I'll even translate it into any language.

Hey.  Stop reading.  The post is over.

Malgidus

Malgidus

Four Lefts From Reality

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • LocationCanada

My skills with web design are perhaps on par with yours... by that I mean I could build the current site if I was bored enough, but likely not something much better. I never really got quite into it enough to get great at it. Perhaps if I had a little more of an artistic side it would have worked out. But I am such a stickler for organization and neatness that my designs are often much too minimal to be nice to look at. (Google's old homepage was the _shit_. Yahoo's... not so much.) However, if you ever need anything coded in C++, that I could likely handle. Aaand maybe Python or Ruby.

My mind has been torn into Oblivion, is there a way to tear that too? Reach into the Oblivion, and through Zen, tear the Universe anew.

Tradesman by day, [game] programmer by night. Philosopher all day long. @Malgidus |Forest Bear Studios

TransAustin

TransAustin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
My skills with web design are perhaps on par with yours... by that I mean I could build the current site if I was bored enough, but likely not something much better. I never really got quite into it enough to get great at it. Perhaps if I had a little more of an artistic side it would have worked out. But I am such a stickler for organization and neatness that my designs are often much too minimal to be nice to look at. (Google's old homepage was the _shit_. Yahoo's... not so much. However, if you ever need anything coded in C++, that I could likely handle. Aaand maybe Python or Ruby.

wow, that was kinda rude. I think the site is nice looking...

• FutureOfToday likes this

Malgidus

Malgidus

Four Lefts From Reality

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • LocationCanada
@TransAustin: Could you point out the part of my post where I said the site was not nice looking? I am not one to sugar coat words, but I will speak my mind--which is that I don't believe I could make the site look much better if I tried, and wjfox is asking if someone could. Thanks for your constructive comment.

My mind has been torn into Oblivion, is there a way to tear that too? Reach into the Oblivion, and through Zen, tear the Universe anew.

Tradesman by day, [game] programmer by night. Philosopher all day long. @Malgidus |Forest Bear Studios

TransAustin

TransAustin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Maybe I just read it wrong, but it sounded to me like you said your web design skills aren't very good yet on par with wjfox's. I'm sure you didn't mean it that way.

TheVid

TheVid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

I just registered and have only lurked these forums from time to time before but I'd be interested in helping, I'm a fan of the site. I've done web development as one of my hobbies over the years and do some web development in my day job (I do a lot more application development though) but that's all internal company stuff I can't show.

As far as web languages go I know HTML 5,CSS,JavaScript, PHP,SQL, Classic ASP, C#, and ASP.NET.

As far as database platforms, I've used MySQL, DB2, and Oracle.

Websites I've worked on:

http://imgh.us (Image Hosting sites that goes down sometimes due to website with high activity hotlinking images that are hosted on the domain)

http://thevid9.com/ajax (Custom Message Board I created years ago while playing around with Ajax and PHP)

http://web.archive.o...terminal17.com/ (A spinoff community from GameFAQs.com but it's been dead since 2009, I made everything besides the forums)

http://karma.hardcore-tm.com/index.php (A tool the GameFAQs community uses sometimes)

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I've done some hobbyist stuff with HTML and CSS3, but no Javascript. What a difficult language...

What difference does it make?

Lunix688

Lunix688

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts
  • LocationUnited States

I can do HTML and Cascading style sheets, and I can add/use flash templates..I know a very very little of java but I'm learning a bit at the moment. I'm great at graphics though. I'm great at using Adobe photoshop, after effects, etc.. 

"Liberterianism is a mental disease. A national health crisis and a threat to the future of this country...Worse than the threat from terrorism, asteroids, disease and yes global warming.
It is mindless anti-government idiocy. If it isn't turned back I predict the end of this country as a world power. Simply put the need to educate our entire population like any sane country is sen as wrong by the cult that practice this foolish idiocy. So is simple workers rights, child labor and every other sane policy of the modern world."
-Matthew

"The man who does not value himself, cannot value anything or anyone.”
-Ayn Rand, The Virtue of Selfishness: A New Concept of Egoism
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"The world runs on individuals pursuing their self interests. The great achievements of civilization have not come from government bureaus. Einstein didn't construct his theory under order from a, from a bureaucrat. Henry Ford didn't revolutionize the automobile industry that way."
-Milton Friedman

Saradus

Saradus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  • LocationWales

I did a masters in computer science at Oxford and have spent the past year working as a web and application developer for a small start-up. I've been working on a lot of dynamic site development during this time and can implement some pretty cool stuff depending on what you want the site to do.

I've had extensive experience with ASP.NET, HTML5, CSS3, Javascript, JQuery, SQL Server, C# and AJAX.

Here's a short preview of the site I've been working on for the start-up:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzP4e6riRKE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzP4e6riRKE[/url]

As you can see, there's a Pinterest-style product listing page which generates new listings as you scroll down, custom client-side pop-up boxes and a lot of back-end stuff for the dynamically-generated content and interactive features such as the wishlist system & product pages.

I'm quite busy at the moment, so I can't put a great deal of time into this and won't be able to do the whole architecture of the site or the back-end stuff....but once you have the general framework set up, if there's any specific things you want added give me a shout and I'll see if I can help out :)

All men dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible. - T. E. Lawrence

Lunix688

Lunix688

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts
  • LocationUnited States

I spent the whole weekend working on a forum, its an XenForo forum. I think it turned out pretty good - its for my minecraft forum.

I haven't had any experience with IP.Board, but it can't be more complicated/or different then XenForo i'm guessing

LINK: http://cakeminecraft.com/index.php

"Liberterianism is a mental disease. A national health crisis and a threat to the future of this country...Worse than the threat from terrorism, asteroids, disease and yes global warming.
It is mindless anti-government idiocy. If it isn't turned back I predict the end of this country as a world power. Simply put the need to educate our entire population like any sane country is sen as wrong by the cult that practice this foolish idiocy. So is simple workers rights, child labor and every other sane policy of the modern world."
-Matthew

"The man who does not value himself, cannot value anything or anyone.”
-Ayn Rand, The Virtue of Selfishness: A New Concept of Egoism
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"The world runs on individuals pursuing their self interests. The great achievements of civilization have not come from government bureaus. Einstein didn't construct his theory under order from a, from a bureaucrat. Henry Ford didn't revolutionize the automobile industry that way."
-Milton Friedman

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,939 posts
  • LocationLondon

I'm going to create a menu/slideshow for the homepage. I found this site which has some great templates.

Which of the examples on that page do you think looks best?

EVanimations

EVanimations

• Members
  • 3,446 posts
  • LocationThe Eldritch Beyond

I personally like the Audi Locus one.

It's got that neat blur effect.

• wjfox likes this

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator