Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Futuretimeline Future Fiction Book Thread

Science Fiction Sci-Fi SF Future

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I also highly recommend Counting Heads, and Mind Over Ship both by David Marusek. They are the first two novels of a trilogy, with the third coming out sometime soon. In my mind, they represent a very possible future, neither dystopian or utopian.

Those sound good. I just ordered Counting Heads through my local library system.

What difference does it make?

Oblivianist

Oblivianist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationThe Maldives

Anyone read the 'In Her Name' series? Holy carp was it good.

"The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
         Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit
         Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
         Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it."

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

So far I've gotten about 50 pages into Proxima by Stephen Baxter. It's definitely interesting.

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I've asked for two books this Christmas. The Atlantis Gene and The Atlantis Plague. They've both gotten good reviews.

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I'm about a hundred pages from the end of Proxima. The plot's getting really good now, but the reviews say it ends on a cliffhanger; so I'll have to wait for the next book (Ultima) to come out in 2014.

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Finished Proxima a while ago.

Spoiler

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I think I'll give Pandora's Star another go. I know roughly where I left off so I should be able to skip the frustration I got trying to read it the first time.

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

No luck with Pandora's Star.

In the meantime I've checked out the first two books of the Owner Trilogy by Neal Asher and Genesis by Poul Anderson. I'll let you guys know how good they are.

Zeitgeist123

Zeitgeist123

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts

talking about books. has anyone read 'ready player one' by Ernest Cline? this is by far the best futuristic novel ive read so far, it is not that epic like the dunes or the foundation, but you'll be able to read it in one sitting because the whole story is just exciting and happens within our lifetimes. this novel is about a future world where people spend most of their normal lives in the VR now (working, going to school, playing, even going to mass, etc) while the real world is crumbling.  I REALLY WISH SOMEONE SHOULD TAKE A LOOK AT IT.

"Warner Bros. bought the rights to the film in June 2010" - not sure if they will push through with the film.

“Philosophy is a pretty toy if one indulges in it with moderation at the right time of life. But if one pursues it further than one should, it is absolute ruin." - Callicles to Socrates

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Anyone here read Accelerando by Charles Stross? Some of it went over my head, but it was certainly interesting.

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

In the meantime I've checked out the first two books of the Owner Trilogy by Neal Asher and Genesis by Poul Anderson. I'll let you guys know how good they are.

No luck with either of those as well. I might try out Neal Asher's Polity books, those are very futuristic. About Gridlinked (from sfrevu):

This is a brilliant and audacious work, chock-full of (often literally!) cutting-edge ideas. At first it seems reminiscent of Iain Banks' Culture novels, but this is only a fleeting similarity between The Culture and the structure of Asher's Polity - a technologically advanced and imperially minded society intent on colonizing other worlds for no other reason than the belief that it would do them some good. Though being compared to Banks is certainly no bad thing, I feel that reviewers too often use him as the benchmark by which they judge most new home-grown hard SF talent. On the strength of Gridlinked, it is very clear that we'll all soon be seeing how future authors compare to Asher.

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Checked out the Polity book Shadow of the Scorpion. I hope it's good.

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I've now checked out the first two books of the Heritage Universe by Charles Sheffield.

I seem to have a bad habit of checking out books and then neglecting to read them...

WithoutCoincidence

WithoutCoincidence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts
  • LocationSomewhere above Zero Latitude.

Are there any good books set really far out in the future? Like, Degenerate Era future or beyond?

The universe has gone from unimaginable, featureless heat to complexity and it will return in time to unimaginable, featureless cold.

-Chris Impey, How It Ends

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Are there any good books set really far out in the future? Like, Degenerate Era future or beyond?

This was what I found. Not much fiction takes place that far into the future.

WithoutCoincidence

WithoutCoincidence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts

No surprise. Not much of anything takes place that far into the future.

The universe has gone from unimaginable, featureless heat to complexity and it will return in time to unimaginable, featureless cold.

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

No surprise. Not much of anything takes place that far into the future.

There was a short story by Stephen Baxter called The Gravity Mine which takes place sometime near that era. You can read it here.

WithoutCoincidence

WithoutCoincidence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts

Just read that one, I like it. A glimmer of hope for the future. Or, not hope, but the chance that life will carry on a few more 10^40 years after the onset of the Dark Era.

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I think I found a book containing a short story by Gregory Benford called Matter's End that sounds like it might fit the bill. It'll take a while for me to get it from the library though.

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Okay. Settled down a bit and I'm now adamant in finishing Pandora's Star and Judas Unchained. I will finish those doorstopers.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Science Fiction, Sci-Fi, SF, Future

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users