Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Futuretimeline Future Fiction Book Thread

Science Fiction Sci-Fi SF Future

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Okay. Settled down a bit and I'm now adamant in finishing Pandora's Star and Judas Unchained. I will finish those doorstopers.

Getting close to the end of Pandora's Star and it's getting good. When I finish it and its sequel, Judas Unchained, I will embark on reading The Void Trilogy as well (same author and universe).

What difference does it make?

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Y'know, I'd really like to hear back from some of the people I've talked to earlier in the thread.

Lily: did you read Revelation Space yet? Did you like it?

IzzyIngleby: taken a look at Proxima? How is it so far?

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Well, I've given up on Hamilton. His books just don't capture me that well.

In the meantime I will be looking at suggestions on another site I'm with.

IzzyIngleby

IzzyIngleby

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • LocationBristol UK

Sorry I just haven't read much science fiction lately, last books I read were the A Song Of Ice And Fire series, and those were a few months ago. I have been reading, just not really for pleasure-some scientific papers are written absolutely exquisitely, but most I have to say are a real drag.

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I'll be looking for other books to read.

In the meantime, here's a list of essential posthuman SF (not all of it is futuristic though).

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Picked up some of the Jean le Flambeur series by Hannu Rajaniemi. The stories take place in a future solar system that's populated by a post-singularity humanity.

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Here's my tentative reading list for the next few months:

The Quantum Thief by Hannu Rajaniemi [currently reading] The Fractal Prince by Hannu Rajaniemi The Risen Empire by Scott Westerfeld The Killing of Worlds by Scott Westerfeld Heart of the Comet by David Brin and Gregory Benford Might give the Count to the Eschaton Sequence a try around this time On the Steel Breeze by Alastair Reynolds

Lily

Lily

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts
  • LocationBerlin

Hey, sorry for having been quiet for so long. I must say that I haven't read that book yet. I was catching up on some dystopian novels and right now finals are aproaching, so my reading consists mainly of papers for school... It's nice to see, though, that you are keeping the thread alive!

Have you read Vernor Vinge's Rainbows End? It's here on my nightstand, but I haven't gotten around reading it.

"All scientific advancement due to intellegence overcoming, compensating, for limitations. Can't carry a load, so invent wheel. Can't catch food, so invent spear. Limitations. No limitations, no advancement. No advancement, culture stagnates. Works other way too. Advancement before culture is ready. Disastrous."

There's definitely truth in that...

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Hey, sorry for having been quiet for so long. I must say that I haven't read that book yet. I was catching up on some dystopian novels and right now finals are aproaching, so my reading consists mainly of papers for school... It's nice to see, though, that you are keeping the thread alive!

Have you read Vernor Vinge's Rainbows End? It's here on my nightstand, but I haven't gotten around reading it.

That's fine Lily.

I have not read Rainbows End, but I did read Marooned in Realtime (another novel by Vinge) and enjoyed it. I really should read Rainbows End...

Cosmic Cat

Cosmic Cat

Hibernating

• Validating
  • 4,345 posts
  • Location-

I'm going to start reading the foundation trilogy by Isaac Asimov. It read the series was a famous one and I'm excited to start reading it. Right now I'm downloading the pdf and putting it on a tablet. I'll review each book when I complete it. Have any of you guys read the foundation series? and if you did how good did you find it?

IzzyIngleby

IzzyIngleby

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • LocationBristol UK

I've got the book on my desk, never got round to reading it. It's only a short story, but have you read "The Last Question"? It takes about 10 minutes, absolutely brilliant.

• Lily likes this

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Heart of the Comet finally came in today. I'll let you guys know how good it is.

marjoriekaye

marjoriekaye

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Hi--My name is Marjorie and I'm delighted to find this site. A prediction here caught my eye. It said that because of mind uploading, criminals could be punished indefinitely. The impact of mind uploading on our justice system is one of the changes in society I explore in a novel.

I have written a sci fi novel (unpublished--originally titled Babylon Dreams--now it's Past Imperfect) based on the idea of after-death destinations.  In it, the newly deceased continue their existence via mind uploading. The after-death industry is big business and depending on your tastes and what you can pay before and after your demise, you can choose a plan offering a selection of virtual reality environments.  

Although the plot concerns a love triangle where a wealthy man kills himself in order to follow his wife and her lover into a virtual paradise in order to "win" her back, i was curious about how this technology would affect society, the economy, politics and of course this man's virtual heart--how does he change after being there for over fifty years and there's nothing new or unpredictable. What would it be like, the advantages, the drawbacks? 

I have web site where I post news on the science related to my science fiction and some excerpts.  My blog is marjoriekayesbabylondreams.com.

I would love to live long enough to see much of the science fiction I enjoy become science fact.  Well maybe everything but the dystopias. 1984 can stay in 1948.

Bradley

Bradley

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

I'm going to start reading the foundation trilogy by Isaac Asimov. It read the series was a famous one and I'm excited to start reading it. Right now I'm downloading the pdf and putting it on a tablet. I'll review each book when I complete it. Have any of you guys read the foundation series? and if you did how good did you find it?

I read the series. Very good. The Mule is an especially interesting character.

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Heart of the Comet wasn't piquing my interest, so I've decided to finish A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor VInge. If you're into the singularity idea then you should definitely read it.

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I personally didn't like A Fire Upon the Deep that much. Too much of it took place on a world with Middle Age Europe technology.

Moving on, I've ordered the book The Darwin Elevator from the library system.

Synopsis:

In the mid-23rd century, Darwin, Australia, stands as the last human city on Earth. The world has succumbed to an alien plague, with most of the population transformed into mindless, savage creatures. The planet's refugees flock to Darwin, where a space elevator--created by the architects of this apocalypse, the Builders--emits a plague-suppressing aura.

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I also got Lady of Mazes at the library today. I'm going to have to take a look at it.

https://www.goodread...rom_search=true

Lady of Mazes is the story of Teven Coronal, a ringworld with a huge multiplicity of human civilizations. It's the story of what happens when the delicate balance of coexisting worlds is completely destroyed, when the fabric of reality itself is torn. Brilliant but troubled Livia Kodaly is Teven's only hope against invaders both human and superhuman who threaten the fragile ecologies and human diversity.

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

On the Steel Breeze by Alastair Reynolds finally came today. Read the first thirty or so pages and it takes place in the 24th century.

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,227 posts
  • LocationIn the Basket of Deplorables

I've got the book on my desk, never got round to reading it. It's only a short story, but have you read "The Last Question"? It takes about 10 minutes, absolutely brilliant.

Agreed.

Click 'show' to see quotes from great luminaries.

Spoiler

Yalamix

Yalamix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationSão Paulo, Brasil

Simply the best work of Asimov. Don't stop at the trilogy, there are other books in the series just as good.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here. - Arthur C. Clarke

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Science Fiction, Sci-Fi, SF, Future

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users