Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Wieliczka Salt Mine on Google Street View

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,178 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow
The Wieliczka Salt Mine. The mine, built in the 13th century, produced table salt continuously until 2007, as one of the world's oldest salt mines still in operation.

The mine's attractions include dozens of statues, three chapels and an entire cathedral that has been carved out of the rock salt by the miners. The oldest sculptures are augmented by the new carvings by contemporary artists. About 1.2 million people visit the Wieliczka Salt Mine annually.

The Wieliczka salt mine reaches a depth of 327 metres (1,073 ft) and is over 287 kilometres (178 mi) long. The rock salt is naturally gray in various shades, resembling unpolished granite rather than the white or crystalline look that many visitors may expect. Even the crystals of the chandeliers are made from rock salt that has been dissolved and reconstituted to achieve a clear, glass-like appearance.

https://maps.google....82749,20.054486

I couldn't post direct link but this one should feature photo on the left with small yellow fella in corner. Click it and it should bring you from sattelite view to "street view" inside the lobby. From there you can click -3, -2, -1 (where the scale should be) and visit three levels.

There is no map, no descriptions unfortunately (maybe they'll add those later) so it's easy to get lost. But it really is worth to wander around and see corridors from different periods, great chambers and church (-2) made of solid grey rock salt. Also there are some hidden cool things you may miss like head of dragon sticking out of wall in one small chamber.

Have fun!

Edited by Craven, 05 September 2013 - 05:50 PM.

• Zaphod and TheAsianGuy_LOL like this
"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

"Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone."

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts
  • LocationRussia

Thank you,  this is really interesting place. At least for me, the big fan of google street view. Btw, what the problem with direct link? Seems everything works... just to try, another link, to underground temple:

https://maps.google....82749,20.054486

Edited by PhoenixRu, 05 September 2013 - 04:55 PM.

• Craven likes this

MarcZ

MarcZ

Chief Flying Car Critic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts
  • LocationCanada

I can't figure out what I'm looking at lol. Are we supposed to be able to go down into the mine with this?

Saradus

Saradus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • LocationWales
I can't figure out what I'm looking at lol. Are we supposed to be able to go down into the mine with this?

Yeah it's google street view except inside the mine (which looks beautiful btw).

EW3UsLF.jpg

• Craven, Zeitgeist123 and TheAsianGuy_LOL like this

All men dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible. - T. E. Lawrence

Zaphod

Zaphod

Esteemed Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • LocationUK

Fantastic place!

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,178 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow

Thanks PhoenixRu! Somehow my link was sending me to sattelite view and yours sends me directly to underground chambers. Changed link in my first post.

"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

"Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users