Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

The Human Brain Project has officially begun

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,509 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

On Monday, October 7, 2013, scientists from the 135 partner institutions of the Human Brain Project — “the world’s most ambitious neuroscience project”— met at EPFL (Ecole polytechnique fédérale de Lausanne), the coordinating institution, in Switzerland.

Over the course of the coming week, neuroscientists, doctors, computer scientists, and roboticists will fine-tune the project’s details.

Six months after its selection by the EU as one of its FET Flagships, this project of unprecedented complexity, co-funded by the EU with an estimated budget of €1.2 billion, has now been set in motion.

With more than 130 research institutions from Europe and around the world on board and hundreds of scientists in a myriad of fields participating, the Human Brain Project is the most ambitious neuroscience project ever launched.

The Human Brain Project’s initial mission is to launch its six research platforms, each composed of technological tools and methods that ensure that the project’s objectives will be met.

These platforms are: neuroinformatics, brain simulation, high-performance computing, medical informatics, neuromorphic computing and neurorobotics.

Over the next 30 months, scientists will set up and test the platforms. Then, starting in 2016, the platforms will be ready to use by Human Brain Project scientists as well as researchers from around the world. These resources — simulations, high-performance computing, neuromorphic hardware, databases — will be available on a competitive basis, in a manner similar to that of other major research infrastructures, such as the large telescopes used in astronomy.

http://www.kurzweila...fficially-begun

Posted Image

And, so it begins. I look forward to watch for and keep up with its subsequent breakthroughs in the years to come...

And the American version of this project is being left in the dust, thanks to the government shutdown. The conservatives are the bane of progress.

Edited by Raklian, 07 October 2013 - 03:05 PM.

• Craven, eacao, EVanimations and 4 others like this
What are you without the sum of your parts?

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,133 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

POPULAR

"It's a waste of time and money. We'll never be able to map and/or reverse engineer the brain. It's simply too complex and we don't have the computing power to do it."

"They're still going at it, not realizing, the fools they are, that this task is insurmountable and should be stopped before they disappoint themselves."

"The Human Brain Project has been a complete success! We now have revolutionary new insights into how the mind works, and the applications are astounding."

Anyone wanna place their bets?

$50 history repeats itself

• Saradus, Zeitgeist123, Roh234 and 19 others like this
Nobody's gonna take my drone, I'm gonna fly miles far too high!
Nobody gonna beat my drone, it's gonna shoot into the sky!

Raklian

Raklian

• Moderators
  • 6,509 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

It's going to be a repeat of the Human Genome Project. :D

• Yuli Ban likes this

Squillimy

Squillimy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Right? Whenever science takes on projects like this some people are so quick to tell them to quit, saying it's a waste of time and money and shouldn't even be attempted.

It's almost as if they want them to fail cause they're scared what might happen if they succeed... We'll have better understanding of the brain! "OH NO!"

next thing you know the media sensationalism hops on the bus and everyone starts whining.

What becomes of man when the things that man can create are greater than man itself?

FallenPears

FallenPears

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationUK

I didn't expect something like this for another at least 15-20 years, really exciting :D

hopefully this will also speed up the progress of brain augmentation/mind uploading

JCO

JCO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • LocationWA, USA

[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"]Watching the video I think it demonstrates the real obstacles to the concept of singularity. It describes that the human brain has 100 trillion dendrites. To simulate the complexity of the brain they expect to need computers 3 orders of magnitude better than any one available today. According to that Moore law I believe that the best estimate of a single computer able to simulate the structure and function of the human brain for study is 40 to 50 years out. This would be a simulation and not a fully functional copy. A computer that could match the human brain might require a computer an additional order of magnitude more powerful.[/font]

[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"]I do not think this projects task will take that long as the will have multiple computers to use. Using distributed computing and with their plans to build new computers designed around the computing they need I think they will succeed much sooner.[/font]

Confirmed Agnostic - I know that I don't know for sure and I am almost certain no one else does either.

superexistence

superexistence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

That's assuming this brain study doesn't massively accelerate neuromorphic computing as it is moving along so those new super computers come alone quite quickly to help accelerate the research as it is being undertaken.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,133 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"]Watching the video I think it demonstrates the real obstacles to the concept of singularity. It describes that the human brain has 100 trillion dendrites. To simulate the complexity of the brain they expect to need computers 3 orders of magnitude better than any one available today. According to that Moore law I believe that the best estimate of a single computer able to simulate the structure and function of the human brain for study is 40 to 50 years out. This would be a simulation and not a fully functional copy. A computer that could match the human brain might require a computer an additional order of magnitude more powerful.[/font]

[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"]I do not think this projects task will take that long as the will have multiple computers to use. Using distributed computing and with their plans to build new computers designed around the computing they need I think they will succeed much sooner.[/font]

40-50 years you say? That translates to about 10-15 in computer years.

EVanimations

EVanimations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,446 posts
  • LocationThe Eldritch Beyond

Commenting so I know to check on this regularly ;)

Shores

Shores

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina, USA

I'm very pleased that the EU is finding room to fund this, especially given the current economic climate. 

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,133 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

I'll just leave this here...

http://www.motherjon...jobs-automation

Earlier this year, the European Commission chose two big research endeavors to receive a half billion euros each, and one of them was the Human Brain Project led by Henry Markram, a neuroscientist at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Lausanne. He uses another IBM super­computer in a project aimed at modeling the entire human brain. Markram figures he can do this by 2020.

That might be optimistic. At the same time, it also might turn out that we don't need to model a human brain in the first place. After all, when the Wright brothers built the first airplane, they didn't model it after a bird with flapping wings. Just as there's more than one way to fly, there's probably more than one way to think, too  

Edited by The Young Homo Maximus, 08 October 2013 - 09:24 PM.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,133 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Meh, random news article on the subject

http://www.theguardi...t-henry-markram

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,133 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Just checking up on it

http://blog.al.com/s...ells_uab_a.html

La Bodysnatcher

La Bodysnatcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

It's going to be a repeat of the Human Genome Project. :D

This is going to be the greatest thing ever. Didn't they simulate some part of the brain recently for 40 minutes?

When you say "this is overrated" do you mean "I think this sucks?"

When you say "the majority hate it" do you mean "I hate it?"

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,133 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

So much happening in technology this year, so I might as well keep us updated with this.

One bit of bad news

http://www.thelocal....n-brain-project

Balanced out by a bit of good news

http://europa.eu/rap...n.htm?locale=en

Completely eradicated by better news

http://www.the-scien...on-Brain-Power/

Raklian

Raklian

• Moderators
  • 6,509 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

So much happening in technology this year, so I might as well keep us updated with this.

One bit of bad news

http://www.thelocal....n-brain-project

Balanced out by a bit of good news

http://europa.eu/rap...n.htm?locale=en

Completely eradicated by better news

http://www.the-scien...on-Brain-Power/

We're being hurtled into the future... without knowing it, at least for the ignorant masses out there.

• raxo2222, Yuli Ban, La Bodysnatcher and 1 other like this

raxo2222

raxo2222

e^x

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • LocationCanada, AD 2100, December 31st.

Yea, possibly into Troll Cyberpunk - not as dark and serious as real Cyberpunk

Any technology sufficiently advanced is indistinguishable from magic.* - A. Clarke
Any magic sufficiently analyzed is indistinguishable from technology.** - Somewhere from Internet

*Relatively, comparing to rest of world. Go back in time with modern tech. **Lets assume its working only in fantasy/simulated world. Go forward in time with unicorns.

La Bodysnatcher

La Bodysnatcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Yea, possibly into Troll Cyberpunk - not as dark and serious as real Cyberpunk

Nineteen Eighty-Troll?

• Yuli Ban likes this

When you say "this is overrated" do you mean "I think this sucks?"

When you say "the majority hate it" do you mean "I hate it?"

Unity

Unity

Information Organism

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,442 posts

I think a lot of people are opposed to it on religious/spiritual grounds.  I think it is feasible to map the brain and to understand it's functions, etc but creating an artificial personality seems a whole other ball of wax.  Perhaps it just makes me nervous because I think this would be used to replace humans completely and I hope that does not happen.  Hopefully they can succeed however, because it would be a beautiful accomplishment and I hope that one day a beautiful mind that could not emerge spontaneously biologically would be able to appreciate this undertaking and feel a sense of love for us or beneficence perhaps.

nomad

nomad

The Darkness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

I think a lot of people are opposed to it on religious/spiritual grounds.  I think it is feasible to map the brain and to understand it's functions, etc but creating an artificial personality seems a whole other ball of wax.  Perhaps it just makes me nervous because I think this would be used to replace humans completely and I hope that does not happen.  Hopefully they can succeed however, because it would be a beautiful accomplishment and I hope that one day a beautiful mind that could not emerge spontaneously biologically would be able to appreciate this undertaking and feel a sense of love for us or beneficence perhaps.

People are afraid we'll reduce the brain to an exploded diagram of atoms and find no soul in sight.

I doubt biological humans will ever completely disappear, but in 500 years we'll almost certainly be outnumbered by sentient sapient AIs.

Cats.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users