Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

What will life be like in the year 2100? (video)

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

CY: 2014

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,672 posts
  • LocationMaidstone, UK
http://www.bbc.co.uk...gazine-24331106 - very interesting video.
1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014

WithoutCoincidence

WithoutCoincidence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • LocationSomewhere above Zero Latitude.

I can't find the video itself. I'm blind, help me!

The universe has gone from unimaginable, featureless heat to complexity and it will return in time to unimaginable, featureless cold.

-Chris Impey, How It Ends

Ewan

Ewan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 717 posts
  • LocationLondon

Click the red/black logo lol, the image above the title. 

Regarding his predictions, while I agree with most of it I don't see the globe theatre in your living room happening, at least not as holograms. I honestly believe we will spend almost all our time in VR because by this stage it will be so unbelievably real. I think VR will break down traditional society, and we may well end up living like people on the matrix, never leaving the simulated world. All infrastructure will maintain itself and not require any human input by this stage. 

Edited by Ewan, 09 October 2013 - 01:11 AM.

Brohanne Jahms

Brohanne Jahms

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

WithoutCoincidence

WithoutCoincidence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • LocationSomewhere above Zero Latitude.

Click the red/black logo lol, the image above the title. 

Herp derp I'm stupid.

Regardless, yeah, it seems pretty unbelievable. Then again, I bet his 1973 predictions also seemed pretty damn surreal...

The universe has gone from unimaginable, featureless heat to complexity and it will return in time to unimaginable, featureless cold.

-Chris Impey, How It Ends

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  • LocationMaidstone, UK
It amazes me just how accurate his 1973 predictions were, this guy clearly knows his stuff.
1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014

Matthew

Matthew

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts
  • LocationEugene Oregon

I believe sadly that it's just as likely that the middle east, Africa and parts of the rest o the world being ran by religious people. These people hate tech, science and thinking...

This is what I fear for our future and we can see this occurring throughout the middle east now. Not to even get into the fact that the tea-party is slashing our science budget now.

It is a fear of mine that this likely hood is far too likely... :(

Edited by Matthew, 10 October 2013 - 08:45 AM.

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  • LocationMaidstone, UK
I very much doubt that. I think that religious people are a dying breed, to be honest. Even Islam which appears to be thriving will probably start declining sooner or later. Science is just too dominant to die.

Lily

Lily

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationBerlin

^ It depends on where you live. In more rural areas, religion is still going strong and shows no sign of slow disappearance as you claim.

In some figures, it is estimated that up to 40% of Americans believe in creation is a reasonable alternative to evolution. I've been told by a classmate of mine who spent a gap-year in Texas that she encountered various families very vocal about this, all of them deeply religous, strong believers and creationists.

"All scientific advancement due to intellegence overcoming, compensating, for limitations. Can't carry a load, so invent wheel. Can't catch food, so invent spear. Limitations. No limitations, no advancement. No advancement, culture stagnates. Works other way too. Advancement before culture is ready. Disastrous."

There's definitely truth in that...

Cody930

Cody930

An Apple Pie from Scratch

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts
  • LocationWoodbridge, New Jersey, US

^ It depends on where you live. In more rural areas, religion is still going strong and shows no sign of slow disappearance as you claim.

In some figures, it is estimated that up to 40% of Americans believe in creation is a reasonable alternative to evolution. I've been told by a classmate of mine who spent a gap-year in Texas that she encountered various families very vocal about this, all of them deeply religous, strong believers and creationists.

The difference across the country is quite interesting. I've never stumbled upon this attitude around my neck of the woods (the strong type anyway). Even my sister's godfather who can be pretty damn conservative doesn't flaunt the creation argument. Although I do have a friend who started recently posting anti-evolution stuff on his Facebook page.

"Since we first emerged, a few million years ago in East Africa, we have meandered our way around the planet. There are now people on every continent and the remotest islands, from pole to pole, from Mount Everest to the Dead Sea, on the ocean bottoms and even, occasionally, in residence 200 miles up - humans, like the gods of old, living in the sky."

Matthew

Matthew

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts
  • LocationEugene Oregon

Also I've been watching the arab spring. Appears to be between people that want freedom and people that want to force religion on everyone.

I am really hoping the freedom people win.

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  • LocationMaidstone, UK

^ It depends on where you live. In more rural areas, religion is still going strong and shows no sign of slow disappearance as you claim. In some figures, it is estimated that up to 40% of Americans believe in creation is a reasonable alternative to evolution. I've been told by a classmate of mine who spent a gap-year in Texas that she encountered various families very vocal about this, all of them deeply religous, strong believers and creationists.

True, but 50% of the world's population lives in urban areas, and this is a rising percentage. Rural communities are gradually adapting to modern ways of life.

H3llion

H3llion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationUnder your Desk

Also in 2100

Majority of the worlds population have eye-sight problems.

Nah just kidding, I am sure the technology to have ultra durable eyes would already be there ^^ Cyborgs, rawr!

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  • LocationMaidstone, UK
Yeah. I think eyesight problems will probably peak sometime around the middle of this century, due to increased constant use of technology.

ralfy

ralfy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Try the ABC 2100 feature.

Zeitgeist123

Zeitgeist123

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts

here's the youtube version:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=xwRo_KVEuyA

at 2:35, he mentioned about corporations and govts not existing. i think so too, and if ever govt's are still around, they'd probably be reduced to something as ineffective as the UN today. why do you still need them when you, as an indiviual, is already more self-sufficient and "highly-autonomous" than any effective country of the present. one day we will also be able to create an AI probably implanted in us, that automatically activates when something life-threatening comes along (like accidents or attacks) so that you cannot get harmed by any individual. same way for the others, you cannot harm them since they also have this kind of protection technology like you. 

if he happens to be at least 80% correct with his prediction, resource-based economy would be at least possible; and at most, unnecessary.

The right to be heard does not include the right to be taken seriously...

ralfy

ralfy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Much closer to what is currently happening:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=LUWyDWEXH8U

Zeitgeist123

Zeitgeist123

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts

^^I am hoping, (but not expecting) that the last part of that documentary is what is suppose to happen.

The right to be heard does not include the right to be taken seriously...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users