Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Augmented Reality, Virtual Reality, & Holograms News and Discussions

virtual reality augmented reality Oculus Rift smart glasses mixed reality Gear VR holograms holographic screen hologram VR

• Please log in to reply
960 replies to this topic

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,961 posts
  • LocationLondon

Look into my eyes

Biotechnology: Smart contact lenses exploit the unusual characteristics of the eye to diagnose disease, deliver drugs and more besides

Jun 2nd 2011

EYES can reveal an awful lot about somebody. Look into someone’s eyes and you can tell if he is happy or sad, truthful or insincere, sober or drunk. By peering deeper still, ophthalmologists are even able to gauge a person’s health, spotting far more than just conditions that affect the eye itself: hypertension and brain tumours can also be diagnosed by examining the retina. Eyes are in many respects windows on the body, even if they are not quite windows on the soul.

And now contact lenses, normally used to bring the outside world into focus, are making it possible to peer back in through these windows. The idea of “smart” contact lenses that can superimpose information on the wearer’s field of view has been around for a while, but contact lenses are also being developed that use embedded sensors and electronics to monitor disease and dispense drugs. Such devices may eventually be able to measure the level of cholesterol or alcohol in your blood and flash up an appropriate warning.

The technology has huge potential, says Babak Parviz, a researcher at the University of Washington, in Seattle, who is one of the pioneers of smart contact lenses. Such lenses could act as both sensors and displays, providing new ways for data to pass in and out of the body. By adding tiny light-emitting elements to contact lenses, it is becoming possible to map digital images directly onto the wearer’s field of vision to create a head-up display or augmented-reality overlay that requires no glasses, screen or headset. “The ultimate goal would be to have a fully fledged display,” says Dr Parviz.

Read more - http://www.economist.com/node/18750624

20110604_tqp004.jpg

• Nom du Clavier, Craven and Yuli Ban like this

Azureous

Azureous

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
wow! can't believe they've already advanced so far, last i've read in 2008 they had only been able to print a circuit on it and test on rabbits.

hope this is of some use to you:
http://www.livescien...ses-bionic.html

and also some pictures i've used that i think gives people an idea of what to expect. apologies for low resolution, had to grab em from an old ppt.

Posted ImagePosted Image

jjf3

jjf3

Not a Member of the Tea Party! Just a Concerned Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,046 posts
  • LocationHolmdel NJ/Tampa Fl
This is future of Mobile Technology! Imagine how profitable this stuff will be to mobile advertisers. I foresee floating popups everywhere!!!!!!
"Did you really expect some utopian fantasy to rise from the ashes?" Thomas Zarek-- Battlestar Galactica.

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow
Amazing. Reminds me of pretty plausible (if you ask me) predictions about how such augumented reality will look: Incredible? Scary? Cool? All of those I guess. I especially like how advertising level affects balance. In case of contact lenses - not only display will be a challenge, but also making it comfortable - text or any information must seem to float in space before your eyes instead of being stick to your eyeball like floater. Also imagine how weird would it feel to see with your eyes closed :)
  • Caiman and Nom du Clavier like this
"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

"Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone."

Azureous

Azureous

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
haha nice video, dam annoying ads though =[ and yeah there is something frightening about that, feels like being trapped in a game?

In case of contact lenses - not only display will be a challenge, but also making it comfortable - text or any information must seem to float in space before your eyes instead of being stick to your eyeball like floater. Also imagine how weird would it feel to see with your eyes closed

Yeah that was the major issue i thought of as well, but on the article Dr. Parviz said he could focus the pixels on the eyes so that it wouldn't be blurry. Originally i thought that had to be done with the addition of 2 more subpixels to the RGB: the addition of infrared and sensor covered with a lens system.
  • Nom du Clavier likes this

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • 6,064 posts
  • LocationRepublic of Jordan, 1 January 3025 C.E.

Augmented reality has been touted as the "next big thing" for a while, yet mainstream success has proved elusive. So what can be done to turn it from a gimmick into a commercial necessity?

From BBC

I think this will become the next big thing again in the future, What do members think?
I want to go ahead of Father Time with a scythe of my own.

H. G. Wells

OrbitalResonance

OrbitalResonance

Cosmic Emperor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts
  • LocationDeep Space
I want my holograms =D

We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers. - Carl Sagan

Prolite

Prolite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

I want my holograms =D

I want my holographic piano with holy life-like grand piano sound.
I'm a business man, that's all you need to know about me.

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow
http://www.futuretim...eing-developed/ one of close topics. IMO augumented reality clearly is here already. From what I hear Google Goggles already works, and well actually even google maps is kinda augumented reality. So nothing new if you ask me. Last summer I've made presentation on "CyberPunk 2010" and augumented reality was around 1/4th of my material.
"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

psychonaut25

psychonaut25

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
First steps are allready made in the casual gameing sector

Raving Rabbits e3 2011

Caiman

Caiman

Administratus Extremus

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts
  • LocationManchester, England
By 2020 I think we'll be wondering how we ever lived without augmented reality, in much the same way people ponder on our existence before mobile phones and the internet these days...
~Jon

GNR Rvolution

GNR Rvolution

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • LocationLondon
http://www.shapingto...l.cfm?id=106103
All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer.

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow
I love it. Possibilities of augumnted reality are endless. Things like info and directions are just tip of iceberg. Things like interactive movie poster, that can feed you with way to nearest cinem is just one of millions :) I can already imagine race between ads and filters :)
  • GNR Rvolution likes this

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • 6,064 posts
  • LocationRepublic of Jordan, 1 January 3025 C.E.
Excellent and I was thinking when watching the video what London or my hometown would look like with augmented reality
I want to go ahead of Father Time with a scythe of my own.

H. G. Wells

GNR Rvolution

GNR Rvolution

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • LocationLondon
Yeah, downloaded the app for my android, and it's awesome. Within a few years the augmented world is going to rival the physical for advertising I fear, but the benefits will far outweigh the downside. Question is, how long until we get augmented glasses / contact lenses that allow us to overlay the physical and virtual whenever we are out without having to get your phone out?
All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer.

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow

Excellent and I was thinking when watching the video what London or my hometown would look like with augmented reality

Full of animated ads, that's for sure.

jjf3

jjf3

Not a Member of the Tea Party! Just a Concerned Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,046 posts
  • LocationHolmdel NJ/Tampa Fl
http://www.10news.co...943/detail.html

New personal 3D experience glasses dubbed, "HMZ-T1" are 0.7 inches long but project a 62 inch screen onto your eyelids!

The 3D Graphics are simply amazing.

ayvaf3t.jpg

Japanese release date set for November for about $800. This technology is getting closer to home and practical use!
"Did you really expect some utopian fantasy to rise from the ashes?" Thomas Zarek-- Battlestar Galactica.

Dead Redshirt

Dead Redshirt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
I think they look too much like the VR goggles from the 90's. The technology might be better, but the looks aren't saying much.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. - Jack Layton - 1950 - 2011

Nick1984

Nick1984

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts
They need to combine this with the PlayStation Move tech (cost an extra £20 I reckon) to make it a full VR experience.

GNR Rvolution

GNR Rvolution

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • LocationLondon
http://www.bbc.co.uk...health-15817316

I wonder what they show the rabbits to determine if it's safe or not? ;)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: virtual reality, augmented reality, Oculus Rift, smart glasses, mixed reality, Gear VR, holograms, holographic screen, hologram, VR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users