Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Is the United States a hyperpower?

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

Poll: Is the United States a hyperpower? (42 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you think the USA is a hyperpower?

1. Yes (12 votes [28.57%])

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

2. No (17 votes [40.48%])

Percentage of vote: 40.48%

3. Depends on what the qualifications of a hyperpower are.. (13 votes [30.95%])

Percentage of vote: 30.95%

Do you think China will overtake the United States in importance throughout the world?

1. Yes (24 votes [57.14%])

Percentage of vote: 57.14%

2. No (8 votes [19.05%])

Percentage of vote: 19.05%

3. Possibly (10 votes [23.81%])

Percentage of vote: 23.81%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Lunix688

Lunix688

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts
  • LocationUnited States
Posted Image

Do you think the USA is a hyperpower? 
I think it is debatable, and certainly the USA is the only super power at the moment ( however possibly in the near future China will be a super power as well )

Do you think Russia itself is still a superpower today? 

I myself think the US is a super power, however I'm indifferent with "hyperpower" as increasing debt, and military presence decreasing does not make the US as powerful as it was, say, a decade ago..
I thought of this question while reading a wikipedia article on the subject, so was curious to see what all of you thought..

"Liberterianism is a mental disease. A national health crisis and a threat to the future of this country...Worse than the threat from terrorism, asteroids, disease and yes global warming.
It is mindless anti-government idiocy. If it isn't turned back I predict the end of this country as a world power. Simply put the need to educate our entire population like any sane country is sen as wrong by the cult that practice this foolish idiocy. So is simple workers rights, child labor and every other sane policy of the modern world."
-Matthew

"The man who does not value himself, cannot value anything or anyone.”
-Ayn Rand, The Virtue of Selfishness: A New Concept of Egoism
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"The world runs on individuals pursuing their self interests. The great achievements of civilization have not come from government bureaus. Einstein didn't construct his theory under order from a, from a bureaucrat. Henry Ford didn't revolutionize the automobile industry that way."
-Milton Friedman

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,743 posts

1. Yes

2. Yes

The United states is still a super power within the military, science and economically.

China is catching up fast....Depends who we elect as the tea party would make damn sure we weren't anymore.

• Futurist and DallasCowboysFan like this

To follow my work on tropical cyclones

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • 5,673 posts
  • LocationSouthern California, United States of America, Planet Earth

1. Yes

2. Yes

The United states is still a super power within the military, science and economically.

China is catching up fast....Depends who we elect as the tea party would make damn sure we weren't anymore.

^  

This.

Lunix688

Lunix688

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Further question:

Do you think America will still be the "land of opportunity"? 

Whats ironic is America ranks poorly compared to other developed countries in social mobility..

• IzzyIngleby likes this
"Liberterianism is a mental disease. A national health crisis and a threat to the future of this country...Worse than the threat from terrorism, asteroids, disease and yes global warming.
It is mindless anti-government idiocy. If it isn't turned back I predict the end of this country as a world power. Simply put the need to educate our entire population like any sane country is sen as wrong by the cult that practice this foolish idiocy. So is simple workers rights, child labor and every other sane policy of the modern world."
-Matthew

"The man who does not value himself, cannot value anything or anyone.”
-Ayn Rand, The Virtue of Selfishness: A New Concept of Egoism
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"The world runs on individuals pursuing their self interests. The great achievements of civilization have not come from government bureaus. Einstein didn't construct his theory under order from a, from a bureaucrat. Henry Ford didn't revolutionize the automobile industry that way."
-Milton Friedman

Troodon

Troodon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • LocationUnited States

I would call it a superpower, but not a hyperpower. Maybe about 10 years ago, it was a hyperpower, but now it has declined too much.

• IzzyIngleby likes this

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationRussia

Dont know / Yes.

What the difference between super- & hyper- power? Yes, USA is the only superpower today, but no, it will not last long (historically speaking). First, China will overtake them in the coming decades & second, USA is declining power by itself, in many ways. I suspect, they are on the verge of the economic collapse because of their enormous debts.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

"And the Russian land, let God keep it! Under heavens, there is no other land like this. And although Russian nobles are not righteous neither kind, let God arrange the Russian land and give us enough justice" - Afanasy Nikitin, medieval traveler of XV century.

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • 5,673 posts
  • LocationSouthern California, United States of America, Planet Earth

Dont know / Yes.

What the difference between super- & hyper- power?

Superpowers have extremely serious competition, while hyperpowers do not.

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationRussia

Dont know / Yes.

What the difference between super- & hyper- power?

Superpowers have extremely serious competition, while hyperpowers do not.

That is an indubitable world hegemony? In that case USA is definitely not a hyperpower. Perhaps, the only very short time when it was true, was early 1990s: USSR already collapsed while China wasn't still strong enough. But world has changed since then: now both China and Russia are feeling free to ignore or go against USA, if the current situation requires...

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

"And the Russian land, let God keep it! Under heavens, there is no other land like this. And although Russian nobles are not righteous neither kind, let God arrange the Russian land and give us enough justice" - Afanasy Nikitin, medieval traveler of XV century.

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • 6,512 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

For all who say the US has declined, I assure you it has not. Actually, it has grown more powerful than it has ever been in absolute terms. Now the question we're discussing here is has America waned in influence (militarily or economically) relative to other countries especially China?

The US has one advantage that the Chinese do not - it has experience dealing with another superpower economically and militarily. It outlasted the vaunted Soviets although some may assert that it was the Soviets themselves who caused their downfall. Will America also outlast the Chinese as well? Barring a nuclear war, I don't think any country can outlast another country - only that governments will change by way of revolts by their own citizens. A revolt of this nature is more likely to happen to America than any other eventuality.

• DallasCowboysFan likes this
What are you without the sum of your parts?

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationRussia

Now the question we're discussing here is has America waned in influence (militarily or economically) relative to other countries especially China?

Here is actually nothing to discuss:

Posted Image

...perhaps a bit later than in 2017, but anyway it's just a matter of time. Military influence will also grow with China getting richer and richer.

The US has one advantage that the Chinese do not - it has experience dealing with another superpower economically and militarily. It outlasted the vaunted Soviets...

And the same way, i'm sure, Chinese will outlast the vaunted Americans. Unlike of young and narcissistic USA, they are the ancient nation with long and vast experience of dealing with "foreign barbarians". So I wouldn't worry about their foreign policy: they will act smart and careful, but will never forget the main thing, hardcoded in their culture: only Celestial Empire can/must lead the world to the heights of civilization  :)

• TheAsianGuy_LOL likes this

Raklian

Raklian

• Moderators
  • 6,512 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Ugh? I completely disagree. *laughs*

Countries evolve, their borders change. America won't be the exception. China won't be either. And especially your sweet Mother Russia. :)

Try to get your head out of your proverbial "old world mentality" butt.

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas

'MURICA!!! FUUUUUUCK YEAH!!!!

With that out of my system, patriotism is really taken too far and in the future that may decline a lot with increased globalization.  No the USA is not a hyperpower

• IzzyIngleby likes this

Hey.  Stop reading.  The post is over.

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationRussia

Ugh? But I just pointed out well-known fact. There are actually different estimates of Chinese GDP, but no matter which one you prefer, the gap between USA and China is rapidly declining. If you think it's just "doesn't make any sense" and "needs to be set aside"... then i don't even know what to think.

EVanimations

EVanimations

• Members
  • 3,446 posts
  • LocationThe Eldritch Beyond

'MURICA!!! FUUUUUUCK YEAH!!!!

With that out of my system, *nationalism is really taken too far and in the future that may decline a lot with increased globalization.  No the USA is not a hyperpower

ftfy

The USA is not a hyperpower. Maybe it was post-soviet collapse and pre-2007 recession, but it sure as hell isn't now.

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas

Eh, those words are pretty close.  Yes, you are probably more right using the word 'nationalism' though.

Hey.  Stop reading.  The post is over.

Raklian

Raklian

• Moderators
  • 6,512 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Ugh? But I just pointed out well-known fact. There are actually different estimates of Chinese GDP, but no matter which one you prefer, the gap between USA and China is rapidly declining. If you think it's just "doesn't make any sense" and "needs to be set aside"... then i don't even know what to think.

You were showing me trends I already knew were happening.

And what was your point all this time?

That it's great for China to be more powerful than the US? Yay! Russia finally gets its "schadenfreude" moment for losing its superpower status while America stays as one, eh?. Disgusting.

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationRussia

Ugh? I completely disagree. *laughs*

Countries evolve, their borders change. America won't be the exception. China won't be either. And especially your sweet Mother Russia. :)

Try to get your head out of your proverbial "old world mentality" butt.

For some unknown reason, I don't like those who completely changes their posts AFTER someone else already replied to them...

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationRussia

You were showing me trends I already knew were happening.

And what was your point all this time?

That it's great for China to be more powerful than the US? Yay! Russia finally gets its "schadenfreude" moment for losing its superpower status while America stays as one, eh?. Disgusting.

...and you also put your words into my mouth. Disgusting.

Raklian

Raklian

• Moderators
  • 6,512 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

^ Boo-hoo

Want me to play the violin for you?

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationRussia

^ Boo-hoo

Want me to play the violin for you?

Yeah, that would be wonderful.

• SG-1 and TheAsianGuy_LOL like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users