Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Is the United States a hyperpower?

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

Poll: Is the United States a hyperpower? (42 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you think the USA is a hyperpower?

1. Yes (12 votes [28.57%])

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

2. No (17 votes [40.48%])

Percentage of vote: 40.48%

3. Depends on what the qualifications of a hyperpower are.. (13 votes [30.95%])

Percentage of vote: 30.95%

Do you think China will overtake the United States in importance throughout the world?

1. Yes (24 votes [57.14%])

Percentage of vote: 57.14%

2. No (8 votes [19.05%])

Percentage of vote: 19.05%

3. Possibly (10 votes [23.81%])

Percentage of vote: 23.81%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Shinryuu

Shinryuu

Nyxist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationVoid

Ugh? I completely disagree. *laughs*

Countries evolve, their borders change. America won't be the exception. China won't be either. And especially your sweet Mother Russia. :)

Try to get your head out of your proverbial "old world mentality" butt.

And what was your point all this time?

That it's great for China to be more powerful than the US? Yay! Russia finally gets its "schadenfreude" moment for losing its superpower status while America stays as one, eh?. Disgusting.

...and you also put your words into my mouth. Disgusting.

^ Boo-hoo

Want me to play the violin for you?

Yeah, that would be wonderful.

Enough.
Stop bickering and acting like self-absorbed children.

Posted Image

Pathetic.

"I chooseth this fate of mine own free will."

Casey

Casey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
Image doesn't work for me, mendesk.

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,509 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Enough. Stop bickering and acting like self-absorbed children.

Pathetic.

Mensdeskt2, now who's the one bickering? :)

You aren't exactly above the fray, you know.

What are you without the sum of your parts?

Shinryuu

Shinryuu

Nyxist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationVoid

Posted Image

Raklian

Raklian

• Moderators
  • 6,509 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted Image

Now you're being hypocritical. You bicker just as much as the next person. As honorable as your intentions were, you had to satisfy the urge to get back at me - that's pathetic, too. :)

I'm outta here.

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,685 posts
1. Depends 2. Yes

Shinryuu

Shinryuu

Nyxist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationVoid

Now you are a true example of a hypocrite. You bicker just as much as the next person.

Oh, I assure you that I am very much a hypocrite. However, bickering is simply not my style. I'd rather play it cool.

As honorable as your intentions were, you had to satisfy the urge to get back at me - that's pathetic, too.

I'm... not sure how that one works in this particular situation.

That does seem out of place -- as though it were shoehorned in so you could take a shot at me. I shan't be affected by your measly and petty attempts at provoking me. 

You do not seem like yourself today, Raklian. Your coherence and consistency appear disrupted.

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationRussia

Wow, such a drama... For the first time i'm 100% agree with:

I'm outta here.

Me too... but the last thing i'd noted is:

And what was your point all this time?

That it's great for China to be more powerful than the US? Yay! Russia finally gets its "schadenfreude" moment for losing its superpower status while America stays as one, eh?. Disgusting.

Let's leave aside the fact that you attributed to me your own cliches and fantasies about  "stereotypical Russians" with their "thrist for revenge"... you, my friend, don't know a damn thing about me & I didn't give you the slightest reason for such idiotic generalizations. That is what really disgusting. 

As for growing China, i suspect they (as superpower) will be much more a threat to my "sweet Mother Russia" than USA ever was. But history is history, it is taking its course regardless of my of your desires and phobias.

Now i said everything i wanted, so i'm also outta here.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

"And the Russian land, let God keep it! Under heavens, there is no other land like this. And although Russian nobles are not righteous neither kind, let God arrange the Russian land and give us enough justice" - Afanasy Nikitin, medieval traveler of XV century.

Raklian

Raklian

• Moderators
  • 6,509 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

And the same way, i'm sure, Chinese will outlast the vaunted Americans. Unlike of young and narcissistic USA, they are the ancient nation with long and vast experience of dealing with "foreign barbarians". So I wouldn't worry about their foreign policy: they will act smart and careful, but will never forget the main thing, hardcoded in their culture: only Celestial Empire can/must lead the world to the heights of civilization  :)

Let's leave aside the fact that you attributed to me your own cliches and fantasies about  "stereotypical Russians" with their "thrist for revenge"... you, my friend, don't know a damn thing about me & I didn't give you the slightest reason for such idiotic generalizations. That is what really disgusting. 

Did you think I was making that idiotic generalization for no reason in the first place? :)

I was simply returning the favor so you can see how I feel.

I rest my case.

Raklian

Raklian

• Moderators
  • 6,509 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

That does seem out of place -- as though it were shoehorned in so you could take a shot at me.  

You took a shot at me by calling us "pathetic" in the first place. You think I was going to take it sitting down? What did you expect was going to happen - that I was gonna amiably agree with you?

Shinryuu

Shinryuu

Nyxist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationVoid

You took a shot at me by calling us "pathetic" in the first place. You think I was going to take it sitting down? What did you expect was going to happen - that I was gonna amiably agree with you?

Absolutely not, I was merely calling you out on what you were doing. I find bickering and petty squabbles -- very much like this one right now -- to be a behavior suitable for a toddler. With this, I digress. I'll now return to being an observer, at least for today. Good evening and farewell.

Raklian

Raklian

• Moderators
  • 6,509 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Absolutely not, I was merely calling you out on what you were doing. I find bickering and petty squabbles -- very much like this one right now -- to be a behavior suitable for a toddler. With this, I digress. I'll now return to being an observer, at least for today. Good evening and farewell.

*sighs* I think a lot of adult human behavior resembles that of a toddler's - sometimes we forget to resist the urge to stoop down to our basic urges despite our reinforced inhibitions. And we don't even know how to apologize with a bruised ego. Well, we just have to agree to disagree and leave at that.

rtardx

rtardx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts

A hyper power? Wtf is this power rangers?

EVanimations

EVanimations

• Members
  • 3,446 posts
  • LocationThe Eldritch Beyond

What's the next step above a hyperpower? ULTIMAPOWER, all caps?

Raklian

Raklian

• Moderators
  • 6,509 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

What's the next step above a hyperpower? ULTIMAPOWER, all caps?

Can a country also enter godhood? :D

Lunix688

Lunix688

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts
  • LocationUnited States

A hyper power? Wtf is this power rangers?

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Hyperpower

No, and that comment wasn't exactly appreciated.. 

• FutureOfToday likes this
"Liberterianism is a mental disease. A national health crisis and a threat to the future of this country...Worse than the threat from terrorism, asteroids, disease and yes global warming.
It is mindless anti-government idiocy. If it isn't turned back I predict the end of this country as a world power. Simply put the need to educate our entire population like any sane country is sen as wrong by the cult that practice this foolish idiocy. So is simple workers rights, child labor and every other sane policy of the modern world."
-Matthew

"The man who does not value himself, cannot value anything or anyone.”
-Ayn Rand, The Virtue of Selfishness: A New Concept of Egoism
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"The world runs on individuals pursuing their self interests. The great achievements of civilization have not come from government bureaus. Einstein didn't construct his theory under order from a, from a bureaucrat. Henry Ford didn't revolutionize the automobile industry that way."
-Milton Friedman

EVanimations

EVanimations

• Members
  • 3,446 posts
  • LocationThe Eldritch Beyond

Only through ascension to a higher plane, Raklian.

Lunix688

Lunix688

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts
  • LocationUnited States

I don't think China will overtake the US. I don't think the US is a hyperpower, but certainly a superpower. My main problem with China is their growth rate. They are growing at an unsustainable pace.. 

I read around 8 articles just now about this and some of them bring up good points. I'm not sure if the telegraph is reliable, biased, etc as I have not encountered it, but they bring up good points

http://www.telegraph...-after-all.html

Also, the USA has the potential to overtake Russia in natural gas production, and Saudi Arabia in oil exportations within the next few decades. Because of this, the US will be a energy exporter, which I feel would be important for our economy.

The USA exports culture. When is the last time you heard of a famous Chinese song, movie, etc? Western culture dominates, and the USA contributes heavily to western culture. In fact, most of the highest grossing films are produced by Americans.

America's contribution to science and technology has been massive as you all know, and NASA is still the largest space agency in the world. Not to mention the many American private space companies such as SpaceX, and Planetary Resources. 

America innovates a lot - Tesla Motors, Google, Microsoft, Apple, IBM, etc 

Silicon Valley is undoubtedly the capital of innovation and technology.

The USA has a high quality of life, our poorest are not "poor" by global standards. Our hungry can get access to food from charities or through food stamps, our homeless have access to welfare. We still have many who are below the poverty line, however, our poor are better off then the poorest of Sudan. 

America lacks socially, we are a "conservative" country by global standards sadly - we don't have universal healthcare, or a strong welfare state. However, I think our welfare system is superior to China's, and nevertheless I think the USA may not decline as a world power..

• Raklian and bee14ish like this
"Liberterianism is a mental disease. A national health crisis and a threat to the future of this country...Worse than the threat from terrorism, asteroids, disease and yes global warming.
It is mindless anti-government idiocy. If it isn't turned back I predict the end of this country as a world power. Simply put the need to educate our entire population like any sane country is sen as wrong by the cult that practice this foolish idiocy. So is simple workers rights, child labor and every other sane policy of the modern world."
-Matthew

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"The world runs on individuals pursuing their self interests. The great achievements of civilization have not come from government bureaus. Einstein didn't construct his theory under order from a, from a bureaucrat. Henry Ford didn't revolutionize the automobile industry that way."
-Milton Friedman

Raklian

Raklian

• Moderators
  • 6,509 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

^ My thoughts exactly.

It is not to discount other countries' potential for greatness, though.

Lunix688

Lunix688

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts
  • LocationUnited States

^Exactly, I myself hope that countries such as China, India, Brazil, etc grow and flourish. However I dispute the fact that America is declining. America is still the land of innovation, and I can argue that the american dream is still active. 

-Matthew

-Milton Friedman

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users