Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Is the United States a hyperpower?

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

Poll: Is the United States a hyperpower? (42 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you think the USA is a hyperpower?

1. Yes (12 votes [28.57%])

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

2. No (17 votes [40.48%])

Percentage of vote: 40.48%

3. Depends on what the qualifications of a hyperpower are.. (13 votes [30.95%])

Percentage of vote: 30.95%

Do you think China will overtake the United States in importance throughout the world?

1. Yes (24 votes [57.14%])

Percentage of vote: 57.14%

2. No (8 votes [19.05%])

Percentage of vote: 19.05%

3. Possibly (10 votes [23.81%])

Percentage of vote: 23.81%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Lunix688

Lunix688

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Also China's golden era of 30 years can't last forever.

"Liberterianism is a mental disease. A national health crisis and a threat to the future of this country...Worse than the threat from terrorism, asteroids, disease and yes global warming.
It is mindless anti-government idiocy. If it isn't turned back I predict the end of this country as a world power. Simply put the need to educate our entire population like any sane country is sen as wrong by the cult that practice this foolish idiocy. So is simple workers rights, child labor and every other sane policy of the modern world."
-Matthew

"The man who does not value himself, cannot value anything or anyone.”
-Ayn Rand, The Virtue of Selfishness: A New Concept of Egoism
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"The world runs on individuals pursuing their self interests. The great achievements of civilization have not come from government bureaus. Einstein didn't construct his theory under order from a, from a bureaucrat. Henry Ford didn't revolutionize the automobile industry that way."
-Milton Friedman

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,685 posts
I think it's almost unavoidable that China will overtake the USA. Their economy is booming, as is their middle-class population. America seems to be collapsing more than anything else.

DallasCowboysFan

DallasCowboysFan

Life is Good

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • LocationAnchorage, Alaska, in the land of NSA monitoring

I think it's almost unavoidable that China will overtake the USA. Their economy is booming, as is their middle-class population. America seems to be collapsing more than anything else.

Look, I don't want to start a word war here, but the US is not collapsing, its barely declining. Anyone who says so is on the outside looking in.

But China is most certainly going to surpass us eventually in a lot of ways, probably even military. (though the US is unbelieveablely underrated in that field)

Current GDPs of both:

America: 15.93 trillion

China: 12.61 trillion

Hyperpower: Yes

Will be surpassed by china soon? Definitely.

• Futurist likes this

"The best way to predict the future, is to create it."

For those not in the know, the Dallas Cowboys are an American Football team, and they are terrible. But I must stay strong.

Neil Degrasse Tyson is God.

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
^I wouldn't expect someone with "USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!" as their location to see things how they are. Carry on chanting, ignorance is bliss. On the other hand, look at the poverty rate in the USA. Did you know that the average day's pay in the USA today is just $2?

DallasCowboysFan

DallasCowboysFan

Life is Good

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

^I wouldn't expect someone with "USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!" as their location to see things how they are. Carry on chanting, ignorance is bliss. On the other hand, look at the poverty rate in the USA. Did you know that the average day's pay in the USA today is just $2?

Ok, really, I'm not doing this. People are way too ingrained into their opinions on countries, sports teams, and life in general and I am not good at debates. But I live here. Its not nearly as bad as it is made out to be by any statistic or anything.

And I really suck at math, but considering the average American makes $47,000 a year, something doesn't add up there...

Also just read the definition of hyper power. There isn't a country in the world close to that status.

For those not in the know, the Dallas Cowboys are an American Football team, and they are terrible. But I must stay strong.

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
Source: http://www.usarightnow.com Sorry, I was actually wrong! The average daily pay of an American today is just ONE dollar!

Cody930

Cody930

An Apple Pie from Scratch

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,509 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey, US

Where on Earth is that coming from? Like Dallas said that's no where near the average wage of an American which is much, much higher. 

"Since we first emerged, a few million years ago in East Africa, we have meandered our way around the planet. There are now people on every continent and the remotest islands, from pole to pole, from Mount Everest to the Dead Sea, on the ocean bottoms and even, occasionally, in residence 200 miles up - humans, like the gods of old, living in the sky."

Cody930

Cody930

• Moderators
  • 2,509 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey, US

Source: http://www.usarightnow.com Sorry, I was actually wrong! The average daily pay of an American today is just ONE dollar!

Just saw this, posted at the same time. Actually it's $80 now. You're time is past midnight so it's going off a new day. Wait for the whole day to pass by and you'll see an American earn more than that. 

"Since we first emerged, a few million years ago in East Africa, we have meandered our way around the planet. There are now people on every continent and the remotest islands, from pole to pole, from Mount Everest to the Dead Sea, on the ocean bottoms and even, occasionally, in residence 200 miles up - humans, like the gods of old, living in the sky."

DallasCowboysFan

DallasCowboysFan

Life is Good

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

I would curl up in a fetal position and cry until I died.

DallasCowboysFan

DallasCowboysFan

Life is Good

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Just saw this, posted at the same time. Actually it's $80. You're time is past midnight so it's going off a new day. Wait for the whole day to pass by and you'll see an American earn roughly that.

Wait, did he really believe that??????

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,507 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

About the $2, that is patently false.

According to the website linked below, the average hourly earnings is $24.09. That is for just by the hour. Let's assume the average American works 8 hours a day, that would be $192.72 before taxes and other deductions.

http://ycharts.com/i...hourly_earnings

Still, we have to remember this is the average. It is generally agreed that the United States has one of the worst income disparities in the developed world. It has more millionaires and billionaires than most countries while at the same time it has a vastly greater number of people suffering in poverty. It is as if there are two distinct worlds where in the middle there is a gigantic wall that is extremely difficult to climb over. Other countries have the same wall but relatively easier to scale.

• Cody930, Futurist and Lunix688 like this
What are you without the sum of your parts?

Cody930

Cody930

• Moderators
  • 2,509 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey, US

About the $2, that is patently false.

According to the website linked below, the average hourly earnings is $24.09. That is for just by the hour. Let's assume the average American works 8 hours a day, that would be $192.72 before taxes and other deductions.

http://ycharts.com/i...hourly_earnings

Still, we have to remember this is the average. It is generally agreed that the United States has one of the worst income disparities in the developed world. It has more millionaires and billionaires than most countries while at the same time it has a vastly greater number of people suffering in poverty. It is as if there are two distinct worlds where in the middle there is a gigantic wall that is extremely difficult to climb over. Other countries have the same wall but relatively easier to scale.

Even then too it can also vary greatly from state to state once you throw in cost of living, economic conditions, poverty rates, etc. 

• Raklian and Futurist like this

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts
  • LocationSouthern California, United States of America, Planet Earth

LOL at FoT believing that the average American only makes $2 per day! :D Are such low wages even the average for Chinese workers right now?

Cody930

Cody930

• Moderators
  • 2,509 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey, US

LOL at FoT believing that the average American only makes $2 per day! :D Are such low wages even the average for Chinese workers right now?

Don't think so. At this point they're higher (average that is) than that. Lol that kind of average wage would throw most Americans and the users here in dire poverty. 

• Futurist likes this

DallasCowboysFan

DallasCowboysFan

Life is Good

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

^Best I could find is this http://therandomfore...-in-china-2013/

Says around 14,000 USD a year. Not half bad. IDK how accurate tho

DallasCowboysFan

DallasCowboysFan

Life is Good

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Im honestly still in awe that someone could believe that!

• Futurist likes this

Ewan

Ewan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts
  • LocationLondon

High GDP does not a superpower make. Might I point out that Russia was most definitely considered a superpower after WW2 despite having a GDP less than half that of the USA. 

Chinese society is so different to the rest of the world, and is not a democracy. Don't expect them to have nearly as much influence with their current government system. They are not a part of NATO (and likely never will be) and do not have joint military development funding with other nations like the USA does. 

Do the Chinese even want to invest so heavily in their military? They're currently only spending 2% of their GDP on the military while the USA spends 4.4%. 

Finally in 1995 Japanese GDP was 70% that of the USA, it is now less than 40% that of the USA. These kinds of things are very difficult to predict.

I should note that I voted no under both options. I do not believe that Chinese influence will grow beyond that of the USA, but I do believe there are many many emerging powers and that USA influence will wane heavily over the next century. 

Lunix688

Lunix688

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts
  • LocationUnited States

[color=#a9a9a9;]Says someone who see's the USA from the outside. [/color]

[color=#a9a9a9;]The USA is not collapsing. I don't know what you read, but nobody is saying the USA is collapsing except for a few fringe news sources. The USA has has a high quality of life, and in some states a booming economy ( North Dakota for example ). The USA is resilient, with many high educated workers. Sure we aren't building the world's tallest building ( we don't need it, we don't build stuff just to build it ) 

Decades ago people thought Japan would overtake the USA by the 2000s, in fact many economists and politicians predicted it. It was the same buzz similiar to "China overtaking the USA". As we can see, that did not happen.[/color]

[color=#a9a9a9;]It seems you completely skipped my little rant and my points which I believe counter everything you have just said. Let me sum it up [/color]

[color=#a9a9a9;]-America is innovative, we have the capital of innovation ( Silicon Valley ). When is the last time you purchased a consumer electronic product made by a company in China? Not many times[/color]

[color=#a9a9a9;]-America's poor live better lives then China's poor.[/color]

[color=#a9a9a9;]-We have the worlds largest space agency, and many private space agencies ( SpaceX, Planetary Resources )[/color]

[color=#a9a9a9;]-We encourage entrepreneurship, China has crony capitalism and high corruption.[/color]

[color=#a9a9a9;]-The United States has steady GDP growth, the Chinese miracle has lasted 30 years so far - its not sustainable, it will not last forever. [/color]

[color=#a9a9a9;]By 2020 or so, the United States is expected to surpass Saudi Arabia in oil output, and Russia in gas, according to the International Energy Association’s best estimate. By then all of North America should be self-sufficient in energy, which will do wonders for the U.S. trade deficit. Daniel Yergin, one of the world’s leading energy experts, estimates that the U.S. turnaround in energy has generated 1.7 million new jobs, including direct and “induced” employment, and that number should almost double by 2020. U.S. energy industry capital investment this year is expected to be $348 billion, or more than 2 percent of the gross domestic product. - as quoted by reuters [/color]http://blogs.reuters...-economic-boom/

• Futurist and DallasCowboysFan like this
"Liberterianism is a mental disease. A national health crisis and a threat to the future of this country...Worse than the threat from terrorism, asteroids, disease and yes global warming.
It is mindless anti-government idiocy. If it isn't turned back I predict the end of this country as a world power. Simply put the need to educate our entire population like any sane country is sen as wrong by the cult that practice this foolish idiocy. So is simple workers rights, child labor and every other sane policy of the modern world."
-Matthew

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"The world runs on individuals pursuing their self interests. The great achievements of civilization have not come from government bureaus. Einstein didn't construct his theory under order from a, from a bureaucrat. Henry Ford didn't revolutionize the automobile industry that way."
-Milton Friedman

DallasCowboysFan

DallasCowboysFan

Life is Good

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

^I agree with both above answers, particularly the part about how it is always people from the outside ranting about how the US is going down. And then they pretend to actually have a better perspective than the people that live there...

Lunix688

Lunix688

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Also many economists agree that the United States IS NOT collapsing and the only people that suggest that are outsiders and fringe news sites. 

-Matthew

-Milton Friedman

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users