Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

What if there was a medical treatment for homosexuality?

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

Poll: What if there was a medical treatment for homosexuality? (43 member(s) have cast votes)

How would you view it?

1. Legitimate (9 votes [20.93%])

Percentage of vote: 20.93%

2. Should never be invented (12 votes [27.91%])

Percentage of vote: 27.91%

3. Unneccesary (22 votes [51.16%])

Percentage of vote: 51.16%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts
  • LocationSouthern California, United States of America, Planet Earth

Ridiculous. What if someone told you they could turn you gay? You wouldn't want to do it, would you?

Actually, perhaps I would be willing to try it if it was safe and temporary, though I would not be willing to permanently do it. I would love to permanently feminize my brain, though.

Alric

Alric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts

I actually think it is pretty likely, and I think some people actually will go the other way as well. From straight to gay. Once we get to the point where we can alter our brains, people will change all sort of things about them selves. Though I think more common things will be like, a person is lazy so the change their brain so they feel more motivated to do stuff.

bee14ish

bee14ish

Psionic Reality-Warping God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • LocationEarth

The stupidity in this thread is amazing.

WithoutCoincidence

WithoutCoincidence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts
  • LocationSomewhere above Zero Latitude.

Guys. Apostrophes. Stop. Freaking. Out.

• Futurist and Troodon like this

The universe has gone from unimaginable, featureless heat to complexity and it will return in time to unimaginable, featureless cold.

-Chris Impey, How It Ends

wally

wally

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationSouthern California, USA

Ridiculous. What if someone told you they could turn you gay? You wouldn't want to do it, would you?

I think it would be a mistake to think that 0% of straight people would be opposed to this.  There are folks who "experiment" now anyways, that's with being stuck with their base orientation anyways.  This gives people options.

Now, if someone's orientation was changed against their will.  That would be different.  That should be illegal and be osme sort of assault charge or something, I don't know.  

• Futurist likes this

Troodon

Troodon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Actually, perhaps I would be willing to try it if it was safe and temporary, though I would not be willing to permanently do it. I would love to permanently feminize my brain, though.
What do you mean by "feminizing" your brain? There's no such thing as a masculine and feminine brain.
  • FutureOfToday likes this

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • 5,673 posts

What do you mean by "feminizing" your brain? There's no such thing as a masculine and feminine brain.

I am not a scientist, so I will need to have someone else here explain it better than I can. However, at least a large part of the reason why some individuals want to get sex changes is because their brains are too feminine or too masculine for their bodies. While I am gender-fluid, I would like to make my brain more feminine once/if will become possible to do this.

wally

wally

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

I am not a scientist, so I will need to have someone else here explain it better than I can. However, at least a large part of the reason why some individuals want to get sex changes is because their brains are too feminine or too masculine for their bodies. While I am gender-fluid, I would like to make my brain more feminine once/if will become possible to do this.

I kinda confused here.

As an example, are we talking like a straight guy who has feminine tendencies in their actions?  Or a straight woman who is overly "butch"?  I'm guessing by brain, what we are talking about is mannerisms and interests. 

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationRussia

Furthermore it will open up a whole can of worms, since in this scenario people who argue that homosexuality is a "choice" will for once, be right.  This could be a devastating blow to gay rights.

Btw, good point! I can easily imagine the "soft pressure" on gays in some countries: "Hey, dude, it's your choice, but really... why don't you become a normal person? It's easy, just go to the doctor and..." In some other countries, like Iran or Saudi Arabia, this procedure would become mandatory & they will claim this as progress: "Do you see? We do not execute them anymore, we cure them, for their own good! Praise be to Allah the merciful and compassionate that showed us the way!"

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

"And the Russian land, let God keep it! Under heavens, there is no other land like this. And although Russian nobles are not righteous neither kind, let God arrange the Russian land and give us enough justice" - Afanasy Nikitin, medieval traveler of XV century.

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • 5,673 posts

Furthermore it will open up a whole can of worms, since in this scenario people who argue that homosexuality is a "choice" will for once, be right.  This could be a devastating blow to gay rights.

Btw, good point! I can easily imagine the "soft pressure" on gays in some countries: "Hey, dude, it's your choice, but really... why don't you become a normal person? It's easy, just go to the doctor and..." In some other countries, like Iran or Saudi Arabia, this procedure would become mandatory & they will claim this as a progress: "Do you see? We do not execute them anymore, we cure them, for their own good! Praise be to Allah the merciful and compassionate that showed us the way!"

Well, while I would strongly prefer that gay and lesbian individuals would get treated decently and equally just the way that they currently are, if the only two options which some countries will offer are: 1. Forcibly make gay/lesbian people straight

2. Execute gay/lesbian people It would be idiotic not to pick Option #1.

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • 5,673 posts

I kinda confused here.

As an example, are we talking like a straight guy who has feminine tendencies in their actions?  Or a straight woman who is overly "butch"?  I'm guessing by brain, what we are talking about is mannerisms and interests. 

We are talking about mannerisms, interests, behaviors, social adaptations, mental self-identity, et cetera.

Lily

Lily

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts
  • LocationBerlin

This was already discussed in a similar thread opened by Futurist. There was no objection against that thread because of different wording. That's all there is to it; people are indignant about the choice of word(s). I'm more interested in discussing the effects that could arise if such a scenario were to become reality.

I'm sure many people would like to try out the sexual orientation they don't currently have. Many gay people have problems accepting their own sexual orientation, especially "at the beginning". For those individuals, this would be a huge relief. For those gay people already quite settled and comfortable with their orientation and maybe lifestyle, this could look like the end of the world to them.

If there was a way to reverse/inverse homosexuality, and society being as it is now, would there be any choice but to follow the treatment? If you didn't follow it, you'd "deserve what you get" - that is, discrimination.  At least, I strongly suppose this would be the majority's opinion on that matter. Diversification and acceptance of different sexual orientations is currently being promoted in many countries. If there was a way to solve the "problem" in another way - a quick fix, if you will - what would happen to those movements? I'm not sure equality would be on the agenda anymore.  Homosexuals would be gay by choice - they resist to conform and be what the norm is. It's their own fault if they're not accepted.

I think that would be the most prevalent mindset.

It is imaginable that heterosexual people would like to "try out being gay" for a while, but somehow, I think that heterosexuality will stay the predominant orientation. Gay culture would most likely die out within a few generations. After all, most people I know struggled with it when they were young. Almost all would have taken a pill or something to change it.

It becomes problematic when suddenly such a pill exists and you have already taken all the stept to accept and adapt to what you found is your orientation. I guess a lot of people would lose their idea on who they are. What may be consequences? I don't know, but it's thinkable that some would commit suicide or riot, others...? Who knows.

I wonder if this would translate into less acceptance of diversity and alternative lifestyles?

• Futurist likes this

"All scientific advancement due to intellegence overcoming, compensating, for limitations. Can't carry a load, so invent wheel. Can't catch food, so invent spear. Limitations. No limitations, no advancement. No advancement, culture stagnates. Works other way too. Advancement before culture is ready. Disastrous."

There's definitely truth in that...

Rkw

Rkw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

We will never be able to "cure" homosexuals or invent such a cure because they're not ill, you asshole. This way of thinking is what keeps harming the LGBT community /sigh. Seriously, what is it with the homophobes in this site? Can't the mods delete the offensive threads or something?

I hate when people go out of their way to be offended. Nothing in the original post made homosexuality out to be a bad thing, it just posed the question of "What if we could change sexual preferences?".

I think it'd be confronted with the same attitude Jesse presented, an angry and unreasonable response about how nobody should need to change (I agree, but I don't see the harm in making it voluntary, we could do the same thing in reverse if you wanted to be gay) and that by extension is shouldn't be allowed at all.

But that'd fade in time.

I think we might get past the social issues associated with it before we manage to alter the brain like that though and I don't think that underpopulation is likely to be an issue so it needn't be forced (There would be simpler solutions anyway).

• bee14ish likes this

wally

wally

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

This was already discussed in a similar thread opened by Futurist. There was no objection against that thread because of different wording. That's all there is to it; people are indignant about the choice of word(s). I'm more interested in discussing the effects that could arise if such a scenario were to become reality.

I'm sure many people would like to try out the sexual orientation they don't currently have. Many gay people have problems accepting their own sexual orientation, especially "at the beginning". For those individuals, this would be a huge relief. For those gay people already quite settled and comfortable with their orientation and maybe lifestyle, this could look like the end of the world to them.

If there was a way to reverse/inverse homosexuality, and society being as it is now, would there be any choice but to follow the treatment? If you didn't follow it, you'd "deserve what you get" - that is, discrimination.  At least, I strongly suppose this would be the majority's opinion on that matter. Diversification and acceptance of different sexual orientations is currently being promoted in many countries. If there was a way to solve the "problem" in another way - a quick fix, if you will - what would happen to those movements? I'm not sure equality would be on the agenda anymore.  Homosexuals would be gay by choice - they resist to conform and be what the norm is. It's their own fault if they're not accepted.

I think that would be the most prevalent mindset.

Agreed.  If this "cure" was created today, let's be honest, it would lead to the effective eradication of gays.  Homosexual behavior will suddenly be a "choice" and a "disease", and now the majority of the population will have the means to do something about it. Heck, if it's a chemical, even better, pour it in the water system and you can cure even the most secretive and closeted gay.  Homosexuals now as children have problems with their orientation as kids not just because it is uncommon, but that in the vast majority of households and upbringings it is seen as undesireable and wrong. 

Yes.  There are some very progressive countries and areas of the world where this mindset is rapidly changing, but it is not the majority, not by far. 

There gays who will be renegades, and small population of heterosexuals who will choose to switch "sides", but this will be an extremely small fringe population and thus will not have not political clout to be able to anything in defense of their rights. 

Sorry for all the doom and gloom, but I think we are 50 years away before this supposed "cure" could be considered a desireable thing.

inkybinky3

inkybinky3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationAbu-Dhabi, UAE, Middle East, Asia, The Earth, A Solar System, The Milky Way, The/A Universe
If changing sexuality would be rversable then it might be popular.

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,685 posts

We will never be able to "cure" homosexuals or invent such a cure because they're not ill, you asshole. This way of thinking is what keeps harming the LGBT community /sigh. Seriously, what is it with the homophobes in this site? Can't the mods delete the offensive threads or something?

Completely agree, couldn't have said it better myself.

Casey

Casey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Btw, good point! I can easily imagine the "soft pressure" on gays in some countries: "Hey, dude, it's your choice, but really... why don't you become a normal person? It's easy, just go to the doctor and..." In some other countries, like Iran or Saudi Arabia, this procedure would become mandatory & they will claim this as progress: "Do you see? We do not execute them anymore, we cure them, for their own good! Praise be to Allah the merciful and compassionate that showed us the way!"

These are some very good points that I hadn't considered myself, and give me pause as to how things would turn out were such a procedure available. Of course, technology has always been a balancing act between good results and bad results (harkening back to the adage Kurzweil gives about fire being able to grant warmth, but also holding the power to burn and destroy villages), and sexuality alterations would have good applications as well. Let's say, for example, a gay guy has a close female friend in love with him, and he finds her the most enticing and intriguing person he's ever known on an emotional level but has no physical attraction to her; he could get a procedure done to overcome that lack of attraction if he so wishes (note that I'm referring to a scenario where the aforementioned gay man honestly wants the relationship from the bottom of his heart, not a situation where he caves in and gets the surgery done due to pressure from friends or the girl herself). The same could hold true for the reverse, a heterosexual adjusting their tendencies in order to be with a gay person that they find attractive emotionally but not physically. There could be a million different reasons that one might wish to undergo such a change, really, that don't have anything to do with societal or familial pressure.

Still, the bad points are terrible enough that I'm glad this is something we don't have to worry about here in 2013.

bee14ish

bee14ish

Psionic Reality-Warping God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • LocationEarth

Completely agree, couldn't have said it better myself.

My response:

I hate when people go out of their way to be offended. Nothing in the original post made homosexuality out to be a bad thing, it just posed the question of "What if we could change sexual preferences?".

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,685 posts
So suggesting that homosexuality is a disease isn't making out it's a bad thing? You people have some seriously weird logic.

wally

wally

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

So suggesting that homosexuality is a disease isn't making out it's a bad thing? You people have some seriously weird logic.

Come now. No one is suggesting anything of the sort.

I've come the closest to suggesting it's a disease, and that's only in the context of (IMHO) the very likely result of such a procedure occured in the near future how society would view it.  And trust me, nothing could be further from my own personal opinion on the subject.

Others have already stated how this topic was just poorly worded and importance of what an apostrophe means and have explained it better than I can.  Many many times.  This is not an attack, far from it. 

• Futurist and Troodon like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users