Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

What if there was a medical treatment for homosexuality?

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

Poll: What if there was a medical treatment for homosexuality? (43 member(s) have cast votes)

How would you view it?

1. Legitimate (9 votes [20.93%])

Percentage of vote: 20.93%

2. Should never be invented (12 votes [27.91%])

Percentage of vote: 27.91%

3. Unneccesary (22 votes [51.16%])

Percentage of vote: 51.16%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Brohanne Jahms

Brohanne Jahms

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts

I agree that the wording of the topic could have been a lot better.

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,509 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

The topic question would make sense in the context of someone who identifies himself or herself as homosexual and wishes to get treatment to change this orientation. They do exist but in far fewer numbers than members of the already-small gay community.

What are you without the sum of your parts?

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,133 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

All this talk of cures and homophobia and straights...

Can't we just say "If you alter your neurons, you can become a raging omniphiliac?" Any quote unquote "cure" of any sort of sexuality can be done simply by altering neurons— our basis for behavior and personality. It's not some spiritual issue. If someone changed my neurons ever so slightly, I'd go from asexual to necrosexual. Ever so slightly another way, and I become bestial. 

Nobody's gonna take my drone, I'm gonna fly miles far too high!
Nobody gonna beat my drone, it's gonna shoot into the sky!

Logically Irrational

Logically Irrational

For Lack of a Better Name

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts
  • LocationHoover Dam

Sorry if I haven't read this thoroughly enough, but it doesn't seem like anyone who's been offended has bothered to ask the original poster to restate his idea in a less offensive way. The immediate reaction seems to be that homophobia is rampant in this thread rather than poor wording. It's fine to be offended. I was at first until I actually read the entire thread. But if you're satisfied with being offended rather than finding out of the poster meant what it appears he meant and having an actual conversation, then what's the point?

Will there ever be chemical treatments (by which I mean, some procedure which changes the physiological and psychological nature of a person from one state to another) such that a naturally homosexual person can be made unnaturally heterosexual? Sure. There will probably be procedures for unrelated but biologically similar conditions which actually qualify as legitimate medical problems, so eliminating homosexuality (or vice versa) will probably become possible as a by-product.

However, besides force, I doubt that this would be widely used. I imagine that in order for a homosexual person to even have the remotest desire to have this procedure they would have to believe that homosexuality is wrong. As a whole, our culture is moving away from that idea. By the time this procedure actually becomes possible, I doubt you'll find many people who are still convinced that way. At least in the first world.

• shane_allen likes this
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

JCO

JCO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • LocationWA, USA

I think by the time we can "cure" homosexuality we will come to understand it as a normal variation. If it is ever developed it will not be as a cure but rather more as a sex toy. It would allow people normally homosexual to enjoy relations with someone of the opposite sex. The may do this either for the 'kinkiness' of it or maybe so they can enjoy having a child naturally. The trick here is as many or more heterosexuals may use it to become homosexual. In a closed environment like ship traveling between starts there might be real use to a crew that had no interest in making babies.

Confirmed Agnostic - I know that I don't know for sure and I am almost certain no one else does either.

JesseBrandon

JesseBrandon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Can we all just let this thread die by itself if the mods are unwilling to do anything about it? I'm getting sick of the offensive posts and of the people who say it's not offensive. So what on Earth do you call a thread whose title is "What if there was a medical treatment for homosexuality?"? What if I asked what if there was a medical treatment for heterosexuality? I bet you straights would all jump down my throat right away, but of course, only straights have the right to feel offended. Fuck off.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,133 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Let's take the offensiveness up to eleven

What if there was a cure for black skin? So no one has to suffer with black skin and can finally become intelligent and civilized?

What if there was a cure for Asian eyes? So Asians can look European and not ugly?

What if there was a cure for white skin? So white people can stop being racist culture rapists and become subservient?

What if there was a cure for feminism (the non-radical variants)? So women can go back to being quiet kitchen-ridden bitches?

What if there was a cure for atheism/false belief? So people can stop thinking about this fangdangled and satanic Singularity, reject technology and science, and get back to God?

What if there was a cure for theism? So people can stop being morons and believe what we want them to believe, no matter how right it is?

Not offensive at all, no reason for anyone here to be offended, right? Right? RIGHT?!

So what makes "what if there was a medical treatment for homosexuality" any less offensive?

• nomad likes this
Nobody's gonna take my drone, I'm gonna fly miles far too high!
Nobody gonna beat my drone, it's gonna shoot into the sky!

Lily

Lily

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts
  • LocationBerlin

In the future, and if things keep proceeding as they are now, such a 'treatment' might be something for the curious. The most important thing to consider is social acceptance. Changing the current mindset (it's already happening) is key. That's what I wanted to point out in my last post which was completely ignored. As long as there is no real acceptance of homosexuality, a procedure that could inverse sexual orientations is a threat to gay people. They could be forced or talked into changing their sexual identity. If it would emerge in the next couple of years, who knows what the consequences would be. I don't think we are ready for such a treatment.

I hope that by the time this technique becomes feasible (if it ever does - I do think it is a real possibility), homosexuality won't be viewed negatively by most. In such a world, there would be no outer pressure to change. You would change it to try it out, or in situations like the ones Casey mentioned.

• Roh234, Casey and Futurist like this

"All scientific advancement due to intellegence overcoming, compensating, for limitations. Can't carry a load, so invent wheel. Can't catch food, so invent spear. Limitations. No limitations, no advancement. No advancement, culture stagnates. Works other way too. Advancement before culture is ready. Disastrous."

There's definitely truth in that...

Casey

Casey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Can we all just let this thread die by itself if the mods are unwilling to do anything about it? I'm getting sick of the offensive posts and of the people who say it's not offensive. So what on Earth do you call a thread whose title is "What if there was a medical treatment for homosexuality?"? What if I asked what if there was a medical treatment for heterosexuality? I bet you straights would all jump down my throat right away, but of course, only straights have the right to feel offended. Fuck off.

The 'medical treatment' part could be worded better, but I think it's a legitimate thread and wasn't badly-intended. He says that he's asking just out of curiosity, and I believe that he's asking just out of curiosity. I don't detect any anti-homosexual sentiments in the original post and that it really is just idle curiosity about the feasibility of the procedure; curiosity about whether something that happen doesn't mean you want it to happen. I can understand you having a different interpretation and feeling offended, but no, I don't think that being okay with this thread makes me an asshole homophobe. I've never even remotely cared about someone's sexual orientation (in any negative sense) at any point in my life.

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,513 posts
  • LocationRussia

What if there was a cure for black skin? So no one has to suffer with black skin and can finally become intelligent and civilized?

What if there was a cure for Asian eyes? So Asians can look European and not ugly?

What if there was a cure for white skin? So white people can stop being racist culture rapists and become subservient?

What if there was a cure for feminism (the non-radical variants)? So women can go back to being quiet kitchen-ridden bitches?

What if there was a cure for atheism/false belief? So people can stop thinking about this fangdangled and satanic Singularity, reject technology and science, and get back to God?

What if there was a cure for theism? So people can stop being morons and believe what we want them to believe, no matter how right it is?

Not offensive at all, no reason for anyone here to be offended, right? Right? RIGHT?!

Right. Not offensive at all, as long as your imaginary "cure" aren't mandatory & as long as other people are free to ignore them, or just laugh at them. Actually, i'd even try your "cure for white skin" to get a year-round tan. As for some people with their complaints... well, it's very difficult to NOT offend those who clearly like to feel offended & clearly seeking for pity, attention and protection like a little touchy princess, yet (unlike princess) refers to opponents this way:

...you asshole... Can't the mods delete the offensive threads or something?

That's the only real insult i've noticed in this whole thread. 

I'm finished here, thank you for your attention, sorry for sharpness.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

"And the Russian land, let God keep it! Under heavens, there is no other land like this. And although Russian nobles are not righteous neither kind, let God arrange the Russian land and give us enough justice" - Afanasy Nikitin, medieval traveler of XV century.

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,685 posts
I don't think there's any getting away from the fact that the OP is homophobic. If he wasn't, he'd have said "What if there was a way of changing sexual orientation?" or something along those lines. Suggesting that homosexuality is a medical problem is undeniably homophobic. It's like saying "What if there was a medical treatment for being female?" in regards to transsexuality.
  • Frizz likes this

Casey

Casey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Yeah... now that you mention it, you have a point. I guess there's still the chance that it's just awkward wording and the spirit of his message is closer to what you yourself just wrote, but...

At any rate, I would be in favor of such a surgery becoming available later down the road. There's not that many reasons I can think of that someone would wish to change their sexual orientation, but who knows. Technically, a person can have an unlimited number of reasons to take any given action. The number of reasons that a person can have to do something is equal to the number of thoughts that can run through a human mind. It's a good thing for people to be in control of their identity, so regardless of whether I can think of many practical applications or not, I would consider having the power to take that type of control a good thing.

Rkw

Rkw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

So what makes "what if there was a medical treatment for homosexuality" any less offensive?

People already go out of their way to look more white/European in some countries with surgery.

And yeah some of those would probably wind people up, but that's not how OP put it. The poorly picked word "Cure" is the only thing that's sparked this nonsense.

Perhaps you guys could stop being so butthurt and actually give your opinions on 

• Will this ever happen?
  • Would people go for it?
  • How could it be misused?
  • Should it be allowed?

Although like I and some others have already said, by the time we can tweak the brain in this specific fashion, chances are the social stigma surrounding gays will be largely gone, at least in the Western world. So it really won't be an issue, unless people want to try a sexuality of the week type scenario and flip-flop back and forth.

• Casey likes this

Zeitgeist123

Zeitgeist123

• Members
  • 1,801 posts

the question is, would there be a technology that would make left-hande people right-handed? id say in the future and if there's real funding. absolutely! but if i am a leftie, why would i do it? i dont think theres anything wrong with being a leftie.

“Philosophy is a pretty toy if one indulges in it with moderation at the right time of life. But if one pursues it further than one should, it is absolute ruin." - Callicles to Socrates

Brohanne Jahms

Brohanne Jahms

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts

the question is, would there be a technology that would make left-hande people right-handed? id say in the future and if there's real funding. absolutely! but if i am a leftie, why would i do it? i dont think theres anything wrong with being a leftie.

Higher mortality rate.

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • 12,190 posts

Homosexuality is not a disease.

• FutureOfToday and Frizz like this

shane_allen

shane_allen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • LocationMinnesotta

I wouldn't be against the creation of a drug that changes sexual orientation if it was done as an exercise in practicing drug development.

I think a lot of people experiment with changing sexual orientations. Especially in college. Totally innocent.

Joking aside, I would be hesitant to actually offer the drug willy-nilly. We don't want people to cement passing moods into lifestyle changes. That could spiral out of control. Take me at half my moods and I'm totally serious, then at times I'm fairly light hearted. There would be something lost if either of these two me's were to become the only one left.

Of course, sexual orientation is a bit different than moods, but still... I don't think we suffer so greatly from organic personalities that we should rush to program our minds into a corner.

Finally, if there was a drug to rid my self of knee-jerk offended posturing, I am fairly sure I'd experiment with that. It's sort of a counter-productive behavior that I almost always regret and could likely be artificially reduced with various drugs (I know from experience). Even when faced with an overly casual disregard for common sensitivities, loosing my cool doesn't usually end in me acting the way I would like if I was looking at it from the vantage point of a more dispassionate moment.

Check out /r/futuretimeline and voice you opinion on when various technologies will emerge.

Zeitgeist123

Zeitgeist123

• Members
  • 1,801 posts

Higher mortality rate.

if you have the technology to change from being a leftie to a rightie(?), you would have the technology to increase your mortality by more than 10 years. so why would you choose to go on the "leftie" procedure when you can go directly to the higher mortality procedure withour being a rightie. :) heheheh

“Philosophy is a pretty toy if one indulges in it with moderation at the right time of life. But if one pursues it further than one should, it is absolute ruin." - Callicles to Socrates

tw88

tw88

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Locationeugene oregon

I wouldn't be against the creation of a drug that changes sexual orientation if it was done as an exercise in practicing drug development.

I think a lot of people experiment with changing sexual orientations. Especially in college. Totally innocent.

people do not change orientations, nearly 25% - 30% of the population is bisexual to some degree, and most of them will just suppress their homoerotic feelings for the majority of their life, except in a few instances (i.e. drunk at a frat party).

Some other people have mentioned that they think that if there was a way to change orientations that most of the people changing their orientation would be people going from gay to straight and that homosexuals would become an extinct species.  I think that may be premature to assume. Some men sarcastically joke around that not having to deal with low libido overly emotional women and just hanging with your 'bros' is the best gig, and women likewise will joke around about how they are done with men and are going to become a lesbian. There would defiantly be people after getting divorced or breaking up deciding that they want to swing the other way. Given that homosexuals only make up, at the most, 10% of the population, there would only need to be a small portion of the non-homosexual population decided to change their orientation to maintain the homosexual population. I would guess that, at least in western countries, there would be no net change in the % of the population that is homosexual.

shane_allen

shane_allen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • LocationMinnesotta

people do not change orientations, nearly 25% - 30% of the population is bisexual to some degree, and most of them will just suppress their homoerotic feelings for the majority of their life, except in a few instances (i.e. drunk at a frat party).

Right. I was being loose with the language to make a joke. I guess nevermind though.

Check out /r/futuretimeline and voice you opinion on when various technologies will emerge.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users