Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Internet Service Provider plans

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

CamGoldenGun

CamGoldenGun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • LocationFort McMurray, AB. Canada.
In Canada there's a huge debate over how the Internet Service Providers sell their services. Back in the dial-up days it would be so much a minute, then they changed that pricing to an hourly rate. The dawn of the "high speed internet" over DSL and Cable (and now fibre optics) we got a similar payment scheme but they also introduced "unlimited" for a flat monthly rate and all was good again in the world. Then Napster came along and all the P2P file sharing applications afterward and network congestion was a real concern. The Canadian ISP's decided that they'd start throttling certain packets during peak usage hours. There were a lot of complaints about that but it was generally accepted that if you wanted to download a large file that you'd leave your computer on overnight or while you were at work during the day. Then they decided that this was not enough to curb congestion as more and more people started using file sharing software and the addition of streaming media sites like Youtube didn't help so they changed their billing yet again and started charging by bandwidth while still holding up the banner "unlimited." This issue went to our CRTC (our national telecommunications regulator; the Canadian version of the FCC), who is now comprised of the CEOs from companies that they're supposed to be overseeing, and they decided that this "usage based billing" was fair. http://www.cbc.ca/ne...g-internet.html I'm currently on an "unlimited" plan for now but they have said that they will start putting the cap on bandwidth used per month and start charging overage fees. I'm consistently over the limit every month but apparently I'm in the "1%" of users that they believe this Usage Based Billing is trying to take a stab at. I'm not even downloading that many shows anymore now that Netflix has come out and other Broadcasters have started streaming their television shows online so I refuse to believe that I represent 1% of Canadian internet users. What I'd like to know is what does everyone else have? Are you fighting with your Internet Service Provider for clean, unlimited service or are you being throttled, paying overage charges after you reach a certain level of bandwidth used per month?
  • OrbitalResonance and atoblade like this

atoblade

atoblade

Time Lord

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
That sounds horrible! I would in the "1%" for sure! Here in the UK the unlimited does mean unlimited but the speeds you get aren't great (for me anyhow) They say up to 20Mbit but don't see much more than 2 at best and I'm sure they reduce it at peak times. Hopefully in the next year or two there will be some serious upgrades for both of us and these problems will be a thing of the past!

Saradus

Saradus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  • LocationWales

That sounds horrible! I would in the "1%" for sure!

Here in the UK the unlimited does mean unlimited but the speeds you get aren't great (for me anyhow) They say up to 20Mbit but don't see much more than 2 at best and I'm sure they reduce it at peak times.

Hopefully in the next year or two there will be some serious upgrades for both of us and these problems will be a thing of the past!

Who you with? We're on Virgin's 50mb fibre optic and if we're plugged in directly to the modem we literally get 50mb (maybe as low as 48mb but that's the minimum!) The loss in speed only occurs once we go wireless, but that's to be expected.

All men dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible. - T. E. Lawrence

Caiman

Caiman

Administratus Extremus

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts
  • LocationManchester, England
Unfortunately I am starting to believe that a multi-tiered internet is an unavoidable inevitability, and soon we'll be looking back on this last ten years as a golden age of 'freedom' on the internet. On the surface, I am against it, but if it's got to happen I would hope that we don't end up with a situation where the 'top tier' is basically what we're already getting, but more expensive, with a more limited service for what we currently pay. There are a hell of a lot of people using the internet who really don't do much more than browse facebook, check their emails and watch the occasional youtube video, but that's changing... catching up on missed TV shows, buying direct to drive games, buying music and movies etc... it's all becoming widespread and the norm, very soon I can see the majority of internet users being 'high bandwidth' consumers, and currently the capabilties of our telephony networks to support that need major upgrading. It's got to be paid for somehow.
~Jon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users