Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Society & Demographics News and Discussions

society demographics populations trends socioeconomics working class job trends statistics beliefs sociology

• Please log in to reply
814 replies to this topic

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts
  • LocationSouthern California, United States of America, Planet Earth

With more people getting richer over there it probably won't be uncommon to see households with 2-3 children.

Only if the Chinese government doesn't raise the taxes in regards to this in the future.

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,961 posts
  • LocationLondon

Charities warn government over ageing population Ministers should do more to prepare for the impact of an ageing population, a group of leading charities has warned. A poll by care provider Anchor of 2,200 adults found more than three quarters (77%) said the government was not ready to cope with changing UK demographics. The survey results prompted the Ready for Ageing Alliance to say that action now was "crucial for a happier old age for future generations". The government insisted it had an ambitious programme for the elderly. Some 76% of those polled also said they wanted a cabinet minister appointed to address the issue. http://www.bbc.co.uk...health-24310029

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • 6,509 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

^ Only either the advent of intelligent help robots and anti-aging therapies is going to solve this problem.

• wjfox likes this
What are you without the sum of your parts?

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • 5,673 posts

^ Only either the advent of intelligent help robots and anti-aging therapies is going to solve this problem.

Can't they also (hopefully gradually) raise the retirement age as well?

eldigato

eldigato

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

What's it at in the UK as of now?

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,961 posts
  • LocationLondon

The vast majority of people work fewer hours than they did in 1990:  

http://www.economist...9/working-hours

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,961 posts
  • LocationLondon

Switzerland decriminalises cannabis From October 1, an adult caught smoking cannabis in Switzerland can escape formal legal proceedings by simply paying a fine. Reactions to the relaxed law, which brings the Swiss in line with other western nations, are divided Growing, consuming and dealing cannabis are all forbidden in Switzerland. But from 1st October, like a simple traffic offence, anyone over 18 caught in possession of up to ten grams of cannabis will receive a CHF100 ($110) fine and not have it put on their criminal record. Supporters of the revision, which was approved by parliament a year ago, argue that liberalising the legislation and shifting from criminal offence to misdemeanour is a small but realistic approach to cannabis consumption. http://idpc.net/aler...alises-cannabis  

• Craven, Zeitgeist123, eacao and 2 others like this

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,961 posts
  • LocationLondon

Texas fundamentalists want to teach Garden of Eden in science class

Fundamentalists on the state school board can force textbook publishers to rewrite entire portions of their texts

http://www.salon.com....class_partner/

Brohanne Jahms

Brohanne Jahms

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts

"You don't need to learn anything about science! I didn't and I turned out just fine!"

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,685 posts
That is ridiculous. Science and religious education should be completely separate subjects. Imagine the effect this would have on the attitudes of the students leaving the school.

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • 6,509 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

That is ridiculous. Science and religious education should be completely separate subjects. Imagine the effect this would have on the attitudes of the students leaving the school.

But the scary part is that these people actually think the Garden of Eden is an legitimate education as science is, with as much authenticity. Their logic is so warped beyond the point they don't see what is wrong with their thinking.

What are you without the sum of your parts?

tornado64

tornado64

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  • LocationChina

Some people just have a world view it's unbelievable. Once I stayed for a couple of month at a famly they were believing the world is 6000 years old because the bible would say so. (I actually have read the bible and it does not). You can't argue with such people, their not open for logical arguments.

vapaatyyli

vapaatyyli

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Well it's easy to call it a disaster, but they have pretty much linear demographic increase. Without it, if they were breeding exponentially it could be even bigger disaster. Higher poverty, higher unemployment rates...

No it wouldn't be... within a few years China will not have enough young workers to support its economy, especially as a large population moves into its senior years, and as they demand health care their system will be tested to the match, especially since people aren't lining up to immigrate to China.

China fertility rate: 1,55/woman

Canada fertilty rate 1,59/woman

Even though there is "one child policy" in China it looks like that many of them have more than 1 child.

http://www.indexmund....aspx?c=ch&v=31

Actually fertility rate in china is and have been higher than most of western countries, it is just few years back started to slow down, it was 1,79/woman in year 2009.

Edited by vapaatyyli, 10 October 2013 - 10:09 PM.

tornado64

tornado64

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  • LocationChina

The population living outside of cities are allowed to have more than one child, but now more and more people move into the cities, getting higher education and are not as poor as before so they don't want to have more childs. 

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • 5,673 posts

Texas fundamentalists want to teach Garden of Eden in science class

Fundamentalists on the state school board can force textbook publishers to rewrite entire portions of their texts

http://www.salon.com....class_partner/

So Texas students might be taught about God's bachelor pad in the future?

(After all, where exactly is Mrs. God? I sure don't see or hear about her washing the dishes anywhere or anything like that. I guess that means that God is (or was) a bachelor.)

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,961 posts
  • LocationLondon

Nearly 30 million people are living in slavery, according to latest estimates

Slavery was banned globally by the UN Declaration of Human Rights in 1948. However, it continues to be a significant problem today. A new Global Slavery Index – the first of its kind – estimates that 29.8 million people are living as slaves in 2013.

http://www.futuretim...013/10/17-2.htm

Posted Image

Thaizasaskand

Thaizasaskand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts
  • LocationSnodland, Kent, UK

I don't know whether this should be here or somewhere else, so please [moderators] feel free to move it if you deem it innapropriate for this thread. Also, it's a little old, at 19 days.

Today in awesome parenting news: A father, who learned that his daughter disowned his grandson because he was gay, responded in the most amazing way.

Dear Christine,

I’m disappointed in you as a daughter. You’re correct that we have a “shame in the family”, but mistaken about what it is. Kicking Chad out of your home simply because he told you he was gay is the real “abomination” here. A parent disowning her child is what goes “against nature.” The only intelligent thing I heard you saying in all this was that “you didn’t raise your son to be gay." Of course you didn’t. He was born this way and didn’t choose it any more than he being left-handed. You however, have made a choice of being hurtful, narrow-minded and backward. So, while we are in the business of disowning our children, I think I’ll take this moment to say goodbye to you. I now have a fabulous (as the gays put it) grandson to raise, and I don’t have time for heart-less B-word of a daughter. If you find your heart, give us a call. – Dad. 

Posted Image
.................................................................................................................

The letter was posted on Monday to the pro-gay youth organization FCKH8's Facebook page. It received more than 5,000 shares, 11,000 likes, and 600 comments. FCKH8 spokesperson Luke Montgomery spoke to the grandfather and grandson to confirm that the letter is real. "We get letters and emails from fans of our equality T-shirts all over the world who want us to share it on Facebook and spread the word for the cause," Montgomery tells Yahoo Shine. "The teen who sent this in has one of our 'Some Dudes Marry Dudes' T-shirts and we are going to be sending his grandpa a free 'Straight Against Hate' tee for being such an awesome example and inspiring so many even though it was by accident."

http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/father-disowns-homophobic-daughter-in-epic-letter-230436549.html

bee14ish

bee14ish

Psionic Reality-Warping God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • LocationEarth

I don't know whether this should be here or somewhere else, so please [moderators] feel free to move it if you deem it innapropriate for this thread. Also, it's a little old, at 19 days.

Today in awesome parenting news: A father, who learned that his daughter disowned his grandson because he was gay, responded in the most amazing way.

Dear Christine,

I’m disappointed in you as a daughter. You’re correct that we have a “shame in the family”, but mistaken about what it is. Kicking Chad out of your home simply because he told you he was gay is the real “abomination” here. A parent disowning her child is what goes “against nature.” The only intelligent thing I heard you saying in all this was that “you didn’t raise your son to be gay." Of course you didn’t. He was born this way and didn’t choose it any more than he being left-handed. You however, have made a choice of being hurtful, narrow-minded and backward. So, while we are in the business of disowning our children, I think I’ll take this moment to say goodbye to you. I now have a fabulous (as the gays put it) grandson to raise, and I don’t have time for heart-less B-word of a daughter. If you find your heart, give us a call. – Dad. 

Posted Image
.................................................................................................................

The letter was posted on Monday to the pro-gay youth organization FCKH8's Facebook page. It received more than 5,000 shares, 11,000 likes, and 600 comments. FCKH8 spokesperson Luke Montgomery spoke to the grandfather and grandson to confirm that the letter is real. "We get letters and emails from fans of our equality T-shirts all over the world who want us to share it on Facebook and spread the word for the cause," Montgomery tells Yahoo Shine. "The teen who sent this in has one of our 'Some Dudes Marry Dudes' T-shirts and we are going to be sending his grandpa a free 'Straight Against Hate' tee for being such an awesome example and inspiring so many even though it was by accident."

http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/father-disowns-homophobic-daughter-in-epic-letter-230436549.html

Awesome. Has the daughter responded yet?

Cody930

Cody930

An Apple Pie from Scratch

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,509 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey, US

Gay marriage: ACT law seeks to fill gap in federal law

October 22, 2013

The ACT is set to pass Australia's first same-sex marriage law. Its Marriage Equality Bill will be debated on Tuesday, and a Labor-Greens majority in the ACT Legislative Assembly means it is certain to pass.

http://www.theage.co...1021-2vx2k.html

"Since we first emerged, a few million years ago in East Africa, we have meandered our way around the planet. There are now people on every continent and the remotest islands, from pole to pole, from Mount Everest to the Dead Sea, on the ocean bottoms and even, occasionally, in residence 200 miles up - humans, like the gods of old, living in the sky."

Cody930

Cody930

An Apple Pie from Scratch

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,509 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey, US

Clear majority favors legal marijuana, new Gallup poll shows

October 22, 2013

Americans who believe marijuana should remain illegal are now in the minority, according to new poll numbers released Tuesday.

http://usnews.nbcnew...poll-shows?lite

• wjfox, eacao and Sciencerocks like this

"Since we first emerged, a few million years ago in East Africa, we have meandered our way around the planet. There are now people on every continent and the remotest islands, from pole to pole, from Mount Everest to the Dead Sea, on the ocean bottoms and even, occasionally, in residence 200 miles up - humans, like the gods of old, living in the sky."

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: society, demographics, populations, trends, socioeconomics, working class, job trends, statistics, beliefs, sociology

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users