Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

The artificial forests of the future

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,913 posts
  • LocationLondon
http://www.guardian....-climate-change

The artificial forests of the future – big picture

Giant fly-swats and freight containers may help prevent catastrophic climate change, say engineers. The Institution of Mechanical Engineers has come up with some ideas for what "artificial forests" - technologies that absorb CO2, in a similar way to trees - could look like in the future. These structures would use chemical processes or natural carbon sponges such as algae to take in carbon and store it, or even turn it into useful products.

Posted Image

As global greenhouse gas emissions continue to rise, sucking carbon dioxide out of the air may be one way of trying to combat climate change. This image of what appear to be giant fly-swats and freight containers shows what the artificial forests of the future might look like. The United Nations climate chief, Christiana Figueres, said recently that the world might need to look at such options in order to avoid the worst effects of global warming. Tim Fox, head of energy and environment at IMechE, said: "It is clear that work needs to be done to cut the amount of greenhouse gas emissions people produce. But we also need to look at creative and ingenious ways of preventing climate change by taking out the emissions we have already put in the atmosphere, particularly CO2 – essentially cleaning up air." He said the technology to make these contraptions already existed, though some of it is at a very early stage, and called for more funding for research and development

Photographer: imeche.org.uk

TreeHandThing

TreeHandThing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationNorth Hills, CA
I know this may sound stupid, but could these things be so efficient that they take out too much CO2?

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,178 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow
I wouldn't worry about that :)
"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

"Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone."

Shimmy

Shimmy

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts
i'm sure they'll be an off switch if we need to turn some off for a while

Shimmy

Shimmy

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts
although maybe if we gave them sophisticated AI they might go mental and refuse to turn off. Resulting in a terrible situation of global cooling, sea levels decreasing and advancing ice sheets. Though we could always just nuke them, unless for some reason we had integrated our defence system AI with the artificial forest AI.

TreeHandThing

TreeHandThing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationNorth Hills, CA
I was mainly referring to the plight of plants.

Logically Irrational

Logically Irrational

For Lack of a Better Name

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts
  • LocationHoover Dam
Any plans on where these forests would be built? There's obviously certain areas in which they would be most useful, such as roadways. Would they actually be built in cities or on the outskirts?

This would have to be second priority, after the AI threat of course. I say ice sheets and nukes would be bad. :blink:
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

GNR Rvolution

GNR Rvolution

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • LocationLondon
Saw a program on these a few years ago, was reviewing a number of different options for airborne CO2 removal and this were definitely the frontrunner in my views. They certainly seemed more controllable than some of the other methods they suggested. Certainly I think that if, as some protagonists report, we have already passed the point where reduction in CO2 emission is good enough, we certainly need to be looking at ways to remove it.
All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer.

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,913 posts
  • LocationLondon

Saw a program on these a few years ago, was reviewing a number of different options for airborne CO2 removal and this were definitely the frontrunner in my views. They certainly seemed more controllable than some of the other methods they suggested. Certainly I think that if, as some protagonists report, we have already passed the point where reduction in CO2 emission is good enough, we certainly need to be looking at ways to remove it.

It will require massive government subsidies though. And the right-wing aren't going to like that.

GNR Rvolution

GNR Rvolution

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • LocationLondon

It will require massive government subsidies though. And the right-wing aren't going to like that.

Maybe we could 'persuade' them that it produces oil as a by-product?
All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users