Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Synthetic "blood" saves woman's life

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

Caiman

Caiman

Administratus Extremus

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts
  • LocationManchester, England
I thought this was an interesting article! Non-human blood which doesn't need to match type and can be stored unrefrigerated for three years

AN Australian woman's life has been saved using a radical synthetic blood substitute made from cow plasma.

In a world first, doctors at The Alfred Hospital in Melbourne brought 33-year-old Tamara Coakley back from the brink after a car crash left her with severe blood loss and close to heart failure.

Her spinal cord was almost severed, her lungs collapsed, her skull was fractured, several ribs were broken, as were her cheekbone and an elbow, and her spleen was ruptured.

She was barely alive when she arrived at hospital.

"I had one litre of blood left in my body," she said.

In a last-ditch effort to save Ms Coakley's life, 10 units of the haemoglobin-based oxygen carrier HBOC201 were flown in from the US.

The synthetic contains a molecule derived from cow plasma and restored her levels of haemoglobin, which carries oxygen to the tissues.

Associate Professor Mark Fitzgerald said it marked an important step in the development of a viable blood alternative to address worldwide blood supply shortages.

Unlike donor blood, it does not require crossmatching and can be stored without refrigeration for up to three years.

"It's a bit of science fiction," Dr Fitzgerald said

Read more: http://www.news.com....2#ixzz1LtNYzkwu

~Jon

CamGoldenGun

CamGoldenGun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • LocationFort McMurray, AB. Canada.
Glad to see this coming along. They've started to do this with organs as well to an extent. They can 'bleach' the whole organ so there's no actual material that can be rejected and then you can add the new host's cells to it before transplant so it's essentially their heart. I can't find anything on google after about a 10 minute search so it might have been one of those Discovery shows.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users